Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118138 times)

Martin

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #500 on: 13 January, 2020, 12:13:36 pm »
Travelodge are desperate to fill rooms so I've booked one at Feering the night before the Knights Templar, ECE'ing back via the Tilbury Ferry could prove interesting especially if I'm running late  :-\

« Reply #501 on: 13 January, 2020, 12:55:00 pm »
Yes, Jiber has the catering arrangements correct, he must have been paying more attention than I thought while he sorted out his "socials" in the pub.

The Railway Tavern will be open from 8.30 on Saturday and there will be the usual relaxed post-ride debrief in there at the end.

The Hustler and I had the pleasure of trying to keep up with Jiber "Majorcan training bloc" Jaber on Saturday for the route check.  The route was in good condition and the new route into Colchester feels much quieter (and makes the ride about 7k shorter).

Allergies aside, I hope as many people as possible take advantage of the complimentary oyster and hot drink at West Mersea.  Spending your ACME currency on slightly unusual Audax food is all part of the experience on this ride.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #502 on: 13 January, 2020, 02:38:21 pm »
Looking back at my previous Garmin track for this, you skirt round the outside of Maldon rather than heading up the hill, is that correct? Thinking about recumbent and gearing.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #503 on: 13 January, 2020, 02:46:35 pm »
The route turns just before Maldon so no Market Hill.  The climb back up the Blackwater Ridge is long and gentle.

« Reply #504 on: 13 January, 2020, 03:24:56 pm »
Yes, Jiber has the catering arrangements correct, he must have been paying more attention than I thought while he sorted out his "socials" in the pub.

The Railway Tavern will be open from 8.30 on Saturday and there will be the usual relaxed post-ride debrief in there at the end.
Awesome, thank you both! Pub debrief with 'Essex energy drinks' sounds ideal.

Nim

« Reply #505 on: 14 January, 2020, 12:17:31 am »
Am I being thick? I've just updated my GPX and Word files from the AUK site. They, and this thread, talk about a new route into Colchester. The GPX shows us turning before Pebmarsh (at Countess Cross) and going across to West Bergholt instead of the old Pebmarsh - Bures - Fordham route. But the route sheet still describes going to Pebmarsh and Bures, and the info sheet still talks about a Pebmarsh control. Though it is quite late :-[

« Reply #506 on: 14 January, 2020, 10:20:57 am »
No. you are being sharp-eyed.  There were a couple of stray capitilisations of Bures and Fordham in the Routesheet that suggested they were still on the route.  Now corrected on the aukweb version.

Countess Cross is a hamlet of Pebmarsh.  Basically it is the fork in the road before the fork we took previously.  JiberJaber will be there stamping cards and ensuring that everyone goes the correct way.

It does make the route a bit more laney, whereas the original intention was to stay on mainly gritted roads.  It does, however, avoid the busy road out of Bures and also Fiddlers Hill after Fordham which always felt like a close pass hotspot.  We all thought it was an improvement when we rode the route check on Saturday.  There is also a slight change after you cross over the A12 into Colchester.  The route used to go through a fairly busy roundabout but now follows a cycle route through a housing estate before rejoining the original route on Church Lane, it is slightly more convoluted but much more pleasant on a busy Saturday. 

« Reply #507 on: 14 January, 2020, 11:39:40 pm »
Thanks, that makes it clearer. Don't think gritting is likely to be an issue on Saturday :thumbsup:

I've updated my route sheet download, and I'll be sure to obey it, my GPS and JiberJaber - not necessarily in that order ;D

« Reply #508 on: 15 January, 2020, 01:34:29 pm »
Looking forward to this and have printed the updated routesheet. My weather app is showing sun and low winds—not what I was expecting when I signed up but most welcome!

« Reply #509 on: 16 January, 2020, 12:52:03 pm »
The temperatures forecast seem to have dipped a little. I've just updated my ECE route to stick to gritted roads on the way to Kelvedon, hopefully more precautionary than actually necessary.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #510 on: 16 January, 2020, 01:02:28 pm »
Yep - looks chilly. But more importantly dry.  Hoping to persuade at least one of my non-audax chums to come along.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #511 on: 17 January, 2020, 12:22:10 pm »
I was thinking of getting the 8:38 from Liverpool Street to Kelvedon, but the rules say only 4 bikes, no reservations, first come first served basis.
Does anybody know how seriously this rule is applied?  Should I take the car instead to be sure of getting to the start on time?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #512 on: 17 January, 2020, 12:58:24 pm »
Don't worry about it, that's a Colchester town train so yes it is not possible to make a reservation but generally it's fine with lots of bikes. I have never known anyone count and it won't be busy at that time. The only trains needing reservations are the Norwich intercities and I am pretty sure they never stop at kelvedon.
I may see you on it, but I will pick it up at Stratford

« Reply #513 on: 17 January, 2020, 01:44:51 pm »
Rumour has it there will be a bearded countess stamping our cards at the first manned control, but she might be cross.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #514 on: 17 January, 2020, 06:06:55 pm »
Checked the bikes on trains rules at my local station and got a print out.
No need to book bikes on these trains.
1st one out is the 08.02 from LST then the 08.38.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #515 on: 17 January, 2020, 07:15:25 pm »
Lots of flooded lanes around the roddings if anyone is ece'ing via the lanes...
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #516 on: 17 January, 2020, 07:24:18 pm »

Yes indeed - I was out and about yesterday and came back with very wet feet - up to 10 inches deep in places. I shall wear the winter boots and carry some waterproof socks. The arctic mitts will be deployed at 05:00; we'll see the sun all day though.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #517 on: 17 January, 2020, 07:36:59 pm »
I was thinking of getting the 8:38 from Liverpool Street to Kelvedon, but the rules say only 4 bikes, no reservations
Sounds good. I'll be bike number 10 ;D

« Reply #518 on: 18 January, 2020, 08:50:46 am »
I'm on it now. Not seen other bikes, but they could be hiding further along. Are you allowed to do an ECE by train? :-)

« Reply #519 on: 18 January, 2020, 11:05:52 am »
Today's step up the learning curve of life.

If you are a clever fellow and secrete a £20 note in your Audax bag for emergencies, then if you borrow said £20 for an evening of mild debauchery up the pub, do remember to put it back so that when you turn up at an Audax having left your wallet at home, you can still ride.......

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #520 on: 18 January, 2020, 08:18:13 pm »
thoroughly enjoyed that today depite the Pebmarsh skog, dazzling sun, headwind from Mersea, impatient drivers and all the usual crap. 

Bloody cold at times, but a cracking ride to blow away the winter cobwebs adn try to get some semblence of recumbent fitness back again.

Thanks Graham
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #521 on: 18 January, 2020, 11:47:00 pm »

Drain rodding?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #522 on: 19 January, 2020, 10:21:47 am »

Drain rodding?

High Roding (not sure that's a thing though! LOL)
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #523 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:26:33 pm »
thoroughly enjoyed that today depite the Pebmarsh skog, dazzling sun, headwind from Mersea, impatient drivers and all the usual crap. 

Bloody cold at times, but a cracking ride to blow away the winter cobwebs adn try to get some semblence of recumbent fitness back again.

Thanks Graham

On the S40 or M5? I’m presuming former if you noticed headwinds.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #524 on: 23 January, 2020, 01:13:21 pm »
The helpers' ride/route check for the Knights Templar will be this Saturday, 25th Jan, planned for a 10am departure from 'spoons.  I plan to be there soon after 9am to fuel up with breakfast before setting off.   
If you've discussed with me about riding the helpers' ride please note that I have not pre-arranged car parking with the Labour Hall for this weekend.

jibers and BFC have raised their hands for checkpoint stamping on the day, if a 3rd helper wishes to do a checkpoint too it would save an info control stop  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax