Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 226944 times)

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1225 on: 16 January, 2021, 08:51:52 pm »
I've had a couple of days off with a foot too sore to push off [gout]

I still have it. Have been taking Naproxen.

« Reply #1226 on: 17 January, 2021, 07:25:31 pm »
Having done 250k in December and deep into the 15 hours of the haul this month, noticed that I was able to keep a faster pace over an hour, so decided to have a go at a half-marathon PB today.   Knocked more than 2 minutes off the old time, so the distance has really made a difference.  I hope it transfers to the bike once the weather gets better and I can ride a reasonable distance from home.

awesome.  I get to about 12k and then have just had enough.. Do you watch a movie while you're doing it?

For anyone wanting to order a concept 2, apparently this awesome charity have some in stock - https://www.londonyouthrowing.com/shop/concept-2-rowing-machine (might feel expensive compared to a 500 pound machine, but will will barely depreciate at all.. )

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1227 on: 18 January, 2021, 10:33:39 pm »
Having done 250k in December and deep into the 15 hours of the haul this month, noticed that I was able to keep a faster pace over an hour, so decided to have a go at a half-marathon PB today.   Knocked more than 2 minutes off the old time, so the distance has really made a difference.  I hope it transfers to the bike once the weather gets better and I can ride a reasonable distance from home.

awesome.  I get to about 12k and then have just had enough.. Do you watch a movie while you're doing it?

No.  Just look at the monitor and concentrate on keeping an even stroke.  I find concentrating on the expected completion time is really helpful as it picks up when I'm starting to get lazy and ensures I keep my discipline.  It's also good mental cross-training for long flat straight mile-eating roads.  Also - as I spend 8 - 10 hours working at a screen these days its quite nice not to be watching anything in particular.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1228 on: 23 January, 2021, 04:37:34 pm »
It was icy in the car park at the shops today, so decided to go for the soft PB on 30,000m today rather than think about anything on two wheels.   It's no longer a soft PB  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Feel in good shape to have a first go at 50,000.  Only 1hr 58min to go to complete The Haul and 8 days to do it. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1229 on: 03 February, 2021, 06:09:15 pm »
I'm guessing you got there? :)  Amazing.  I did manage an hour without stopping last week, but that's probably my boredom limit.

I finished The Haul too, and am now aiming for another 200k in Feb.   It's a shame they don't do the scoreboard like during the holiday challenge, I found that really motivating!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1230 on: 03 February, 2021, 07:01:51 pm »
I'm guessing you got there? :)  Amazing.  I did manage an hour without stopping last week, but that's probably my boredom limit.

I finished The Haul too, and am now aiming for another 200k in Feb.   It's a shame they don't do the scoreboard like during the holiday challenge, I found that really motivating!

Yes.  I did resort to a long play list of heavy rock dominated music.  And stuck pretty well to strategy, was just 100 seconds off my stretch target, but 4 minutes quicker than my previous marathon (42195m) row.  It's a shame you can't claim 2PBs in a row.  But I have ordered a stainless steel coffee flask with the 50k logo on even if I have to pay for it to be posted from the US. 

Aiming to get to 500k this calendar year by the end of Feb, which should be achievable given that lockdown and shite weekend weather is making cycling fairly unappealing at the moment.  And might have a go at another marathon towards the end of the month.

The scoreboard that I'm looking at is the most metres in their year (to 30 April)  - not to get to the top pages as that's for people who spend 2+ hours a day and clearly don't have anything better to do - but I've a target to finish above x000th in the world. 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1231 on: 05 February, 2021, 11:25:40 am »
Been looking at this and wondering if it is something for me this rowing thing

I found this fella on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGYcAoZ9WTJriM9jZkXxoPg (RowAlong / Indoor Rowing Workouts) I like his style, not that I have to be the best/hero/cool/influencer/winning person
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1232 on: 05 February, 2021, 11:47:36 am »
'training tall' has some awesome technical videos on YouTube too.   

Woolly - you'd love it... Someone as tall as you gets a massive advantage :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1233 on: 05 February, 2021, 12:31:49 pm »
Yea Training Tall is good but a bit too much of an American and youtuber for my liking :)

* woollypigs might and might not have put down a payment on a waterrower A1 :)

« Reply #1234 on: 05 February, 2021, 01:09:19 pm »
Yea Training Tall is good but a bit too much of an American and youtuber for my liking :)

* woollypigs might and might not have put down a payment on a waterrower A1 :)

;D ;D

water rowers are great.  I had one for a bit, they're much kinder to your back than concept2 (and look and sound much better!)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1235 on: 05 February, 2021, 01:53:34 pm »
Yeah you just mentioned 2 and added a reason that I didn't go for the concept2. Along with taking up much less space when packed away and the shorter (hopefully) waiting list for a new. Yes I could go for a second hand but many are going for more than new and because of reasons I don't fancy going to someone random to pick one up atm.

So lets see in March if I can go for a paddle

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1236 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:07:01 pm »
Managed 1hr 5 mins this morning, so for the first time have done 1 hour session 3 days in a row.  Means that I have logged 400,000m so far this year and am currently just above my target of being x000th in the world for distance.  Still not sure what this will do for my long distance cycling later in the year but just enjoying the rowing at the moment.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1237 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:41:03 am »
The exam question - is rowing effective cross-training for cycling.

Went for a longer local ride yesterday.  Having done at least as far (virtually) on the Concept II this year as I have on the bicycle was interested to see how the legs coped on the road.  Average speed was definitely higher than I expected and the legs felt good, particularly on long gradual climbs where I could apply sustained power.  They were as rubbish as usual on the two steep climbs (10%) on the route.   However, towards the end, I put the hammer down to meet a target of x miles in y time, and there was a pleasing amount of power in the tank.

It's only perception, as there are too many variables, most of them I can't measure.  But I would argue that the exam has at least a marginal pass.

« Reply #1238 on: 22 February, 2021, 10:29:26 am »
Me and Mrs F bit the bullet about a month ago and decided to use our dilapidated, much unused rower, on a daily basis (which promptly died after a couple of days use prompting the purchase of a new, non-concept 2 rowing machine) .  Me, being an insatiable fettler suggested limiting the rowing to 5 minutes  due to the boredom factor, but to do 5 minutes 5 times a day (10,12,14,16 and 18:00 or thereabouts).  I also suggested that as a target we should aim to do one more stroke than the previous 5 minute session every time we rowed.  Several weeks into this regime I also decided that installing a metronome on my phone was a good idea, and to increment the beat by 0.1 every couple of days.

This has worked extremely well.  The short sessions mean that we focus on getting our rowing done rather than avoiding the rowing sessions.

Both of us have noticed that after a couple of weeks things were getting a lot easier and it was possible to get into Zen mode so (thinking of other things whilst rowing so that the time passes more quickly).

As of this morning I'm upto 256 strokes at a pace of 28.1/min.  When I get to 10 minutes of time I'll stop increasing the strokes by 1 each session and focus on upping the stroke rate on a more frequent basis with a target of 5 x 10 minute sessions at least 5 days a week.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised at how doable this approach to rowing has been.  As the weather is now improving, I'm looking forward to seeing what benefits, if any, there will be when I get out on the bike.

« Reply #1239 on: 22 February, 2021, 10:37:50 am »
I also decided that installing a metronome
Thanks for the tip :thumbsup: . I have a couple of metronomes (used for double bass practice), one could
be used for rowing use when the Concept II arrives in March. My training won't be special, just
doing 15 -20 minute sessions.

« Reply #1240 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:08:08 am »
Interesting - I focus more on increasing power than stroke rate, most of my rowing is at 18-22 strokes per minute and when I want to work harder, I push harder at the same rate.  The hope is that when I do go up to a higher rate, I can maintain the higher power I've developed and go much quicker.   Higher rate (at a lower effort per stroke) is probably more similar to cycling though...

The watts comparison from cycling to rowing is really interesting (if you like that kind of thing!) - athletes that I coach can typically generate about 30-40 watts more on the bike than on the rower during something like a hard 10 minute interval.  This is due to a more consistent power application in cycling compared to rowing, where at least ½ - ⅔ of the time you're traveling forwards and not generating any power, and also it's easier to breathe on the bike compared to when you're squishing forwards every stroke on the rower.

A metronome is a great idea.  You could set it up so it ticks four or five times every stroke to keep the 'right' rhythm -
Catch / Finish / tick / tick / tick / Catch / Finish / tick / tick / tick at rates up to about 22 or 24, then
Catch / Finish / tick / tick / Catch / Finish / tick / tick for when you're going faster!

« Reply #1241 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:16:12 am »
Stroke rate is a bit related to arm & leg length. Mr Smith does around 24 and I do around 27. Woolly will be doing about 15  ;D

Saturday I did 25km. There is a reason why -I'm a bit embarrassed how far I'll go for a pair of virtual pink shorts.

« Reply #1242 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:35:17 am »
I tried increasing the power but my left knee couldn't take the strain.  I'm assuming that as I slowly increase the stroke rate I'll increase the power as well giving my knee time to adjust.  Its curious to note that I was starting to suffer with my left knee on my bike which was largely resolved by initially using pedal with a wider Q factor and then finally by installing jtek pedal spacers.  I do have quite bandy legs so I'm suspecting that widening the stance on the bike gets me to a better biomechanical movement through my knees. Alas there is no such adjustment on the current, new, cheapo rower.  If I'm still rowing in a years time, then I'll look as picking up one of the cheap concept II rowers that are likely to flood the market post Covid!!!

For context I'm 63, 182cm, 112kg (wishing I were 82kg again) and have no problems doing full value 200km Audaxes.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1243 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:41:05 am »
Well I still got 3 weeks, so they say, to wait, so lets see what my stroke rate is.

I was hoping that rowing is a bit like canoeing, one paddle to set off, then float down stream and using the ore as a rudder while looking at the nature and enjoying a cold beer. That was why I have ordered a waterrower after all :)   

Davef

« Reply #1244 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:56:29 am »
The watts comparison from cycling to rowing is really interesting (if you like that kind of thing!) - athletes that I coach can typically generate about 30-40 watts more on the bike than on the rower during something like a hard 10 minute interval.
Much of this is due to ‘wasted’ movement during rowing. If  you were doing sit-ups on a recumbent bike this would be power your body was producing that was not contributing to forward motion nor being measured by the power meter. This is partly the nature of rowing but is exacerbated by poor technique.

« Reply #1245 on: 22 February, 2021, 01:19:10 pm »
Alas there is no such adjustment on the current, new, cheapo rower.  If I'm still rowing in a years time, then I'll look as picking up one of the cheap concept II rowers that are likely to flood the market post Covid!!!

Sorry.. there's no way to adjust the width or angle of your feet on the C2 either..  Height only.   

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1246 on: 23 February, 2021, 11:06:02 am »
Well since I have been searching about indoor rowing, youtube showed me this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0XShQBJ1Kk&feature=youtu.be ( World championship indoor rowing)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1247 on: 24 February, 2021, 02:07:11 pm »
Well since I have been searching about indoor rowing, youtube showed me this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0XShQBJ1Kk&feature=youtu.be ( World championship indoor rowing)
I'm not interested in the competition and the winnings of the sport. But what is mesmerizing that we got people all around the world rowing against each other. Also it is pro rowers, ex Olympians, world champs against <insert title> Bloggs with a live feed from their living room, kitchens, lofts, garden, shed, gym etc.

Hmm I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of marmite.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1248 on: 28 March, 2021, 05:17:43 pm »
I'm trying to have a training program doing the week. I don't think I will ever enter the world of HIIT, it just sounds boring and joyless. Though I would like to build my distances up, like going out on a good old pootle.

So my program is:

2 days, say Tue and Thurs, of following Dark Horse Rowing beginner row : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-o0tSFfAkg or this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECczy4vFHY - each about 20min including warm up and cooling down.

2 days, say Mon and Friday, of following Dark Horse Rowing beginner row, but keep rowing until I get to 5000m, so do the warm up and then the row and keep repeating until I hit 5000m, then do the cooling down. As I get better I will add 500m a week to this. A bit like Pete's plan - https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

1 day, say Wed, a free row but I might be following RowAlong - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGYcAoZ9WTJriM9jZkXxoPg - longer row along videos, just because he is so much more down to earth compared to Dark Horse or Tall rowing. Do this nice and easy and keep going until tired. Only really following the videos to have someone to look at to help remembering how to row, as I will prolly put a show or some tunes on. (Joy of having 3 monitors)

Then in 2 months time have a check on how things are going and them maybe try to swap a beginner row with a extra "free row".

My only real target coming up is the boat race on the 4th, do 6800m in one sitting, I might try to see if I can do it with "speed" :)

The only place I have found "pain" is in my lats, I'm very sure that in my life I haven't any special request to use them extra. A good stretch after a row and that tiredness is gone, so no pain other than I have had a nice workout.

« Reply #1249 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:37:37 am »
some good news for you WP!

this year the boat race is a short one - 4.9k because it's at Ely. It'll take about the same amount of time because there's very little stream compared to London.