Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 226970 times)

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #400 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »
Yebbut there's three times as many of us!  ;)

10K in 45:11 - I'm getting [back] into this!  :thumbsup:

Bought an old Model B in the summer, but never got very far with it. Over Xmas I swapped over two runners to get rid of the "trundle" and replaced the batteries; whereupon it sulked and refused to come out of Watts mode.. Had the monitor apart and cleaned the contacts, and it's now looking like a good 'un.

Other than that, it all seems to be coming back... In the words of The Immortal Steve*: "Spring and draw, flick onto the feather, and sit back until the cows come home"..

ex-JCBC [novice], ex-SGCBC [coach], ex-Bedford & Star [novice and coach]

*That's Fairbairn, not Redgrave.  8)

simonp

« Reply #401 on: 03 January, 2011, 11:44:05 pm »
Did my first of 2011 today, I notice young Master Spooner has already got a head start due to my being trapped in Scotland for the first 3 days.

As I have still got a bit of a post-lurgy cough I only did a 2k in 8:32 followed by a 5k in 20:37. I'll step it up a bit only if I don't make myself ill.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #402 on: 04 January, 2011, 03:19:15 pm »
Yebbut there's three times as many of us!  ;)

I also notice that the US navy is twice the size of the US army. Combined, they are the same size as YACF.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Chris S

« Reply #403 on: 04 January, 2011, 03:23:21 pm »
I shall be opening my account this evening, all being well. Probably only 5k as I also want to give the turbo a good workout.

« Reply #404 on: 04 January, 2011, 05:04:12 pm »
I have popped into this thread after dusting off a WaterRower that is sit in our cellar, does anyone mind if I sign up for the concept 2 yacf team?  I presume the challenger designers would prefer to log everything on C2s, but are they broadly similar enough to include metres erged without skewing totals?

simonp

« Reply #405 on: 04 January, 2011, 06:05:40 pm »
I have popped into this thread after dusting off a WaterRower that is sit in our cellar, does anyone mind if I sign up for the concept 2 yacf team?  I presume the challenger designers would prefer to log everything on C2s, but are they broadly similar enough to include metres erged without skewing totals?

I think when it says only "Indoor rower" metres count, they mean Concept 2 ones.

I have no idea how you'd calibrate a WaterRower to give the same effort; obviously you can vary the water level but I don't know what water level would be similar, or if the WaterRower compensates for the measured amount of drag.  The Concept 2 computers compensate for measured drag so two different people rowing on different machines will get a fair comparison of their effort.

« Reply #406 on: 04 January, 2011, 06:58:58 pm »

I think when it says only "Indoor rower" metres count, they mean Concept 2 ones.

I have no idea how you'd calibrate a WaterRower to give the same effort; obviously you can vary the water level but I don't know what water level would be similar, or if the WaterRower compensates for the measured amount of drag.  The Concept 2 computers compensate for measured drag so two different people rowing on different machines will get a fair comparison of their effort.

Having used both I would say that for most non rower users they are broadly equivelent. The Concept 2 computer is self calibrating which makes it fairer accross the board but for the number of WRs likely to join I wouldn't be too bothered. Concepts website differentiates between Indoor rower metres and on the water metres but either assumes that all Indoor rowers are Concepts or is not bothered by it.

Bottom line is if it gets an unused WR back into use then go for it.

If my back injury ever clears up I'll join in with mine :demon:
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #407 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:13:13 pm »
I have popped into this thread after dusting off a WaterRower that is sit in our cellar, does anyone mind if I sign up for the concept 2 yacf team?  I presume the challenger designers would prefer to log everything on C2s, but are they broadly similar enough to include metres erged without skewing totals?

I have no idea how you'd calibrate a WaterRower to give the same effort; obviously you can vary the water level but I don't know what water level would be similar, or if the WaterRower compensates for the measured amount of drag.  The Concept 2 computers compensate for measured drag so two different people rowing on different machines will get a fair comparison of their effort.

I dunno.  As a student of mushy regulations I'd have thought they chose their wording carefully. There is no reference to resistence/drag settings, for example. Hours of fun to be had debating which is the lowest RL permitted for challenge purposes! Oh, the anguish when the leading team admits to using £50 Rower Shaped Objects bought off eBay, etc.

simonp

« Reply #408 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:34:09 pm »
Damper setting:

The damper setting is like bicycle gearing. It affects the feel of the rowing but does not directly affect the resistance. With a little experimentation, you will find the damper setting that gives you the best workout and results. We recommend a damper setting of 3–5 for the best aerobic workout. This is the setting that feels most like a sleek, fast boat on the water. Higher settings feel more like a bigger, slower boat.

The resistance is controlled by how hard you work. The log book does not even ask for the damper setting.

simonp

« Reply #409 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
As for wording, the wording used elsewhere on the site is "for our customers". Is that mushy?

« Reply #410 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:26:07 pm »
Damper setting:

The damper setting is like bicycle gearing. It affects the feel of the rowing but does not directly affect the resistance. With a little experimentation, you will find the damper setting that gives you the best workout and results. We recommend a damper setting of 3–5 for the best aerobic workout. This is the setting that feels most like a sleek, fast boat on the water. Higher settings feel more like a bigger, slower boat.

The resistance is controlled by how hard you work. The log book does not even ask for the damper setting.

The Concept 2 computer is calibrated so that in theory the same effort will produce the same number of metres regardless of the damper setting. The restistance can thus be set to the most convenient level for the individual athlete and the results should be comperable.

The Water rowers computer does not do this, however by setting the bowl level to about 60% full (from memory) you get a roughly equivelent feel and my impression is that the distance travelled for a given intensity of workout would be broadly comparable.

I would say that including a non competative rowers metres on a WR wouldn't make much difference to your teams performance (It's all a question of honour anyway - anyone can just lie about their performance)

In the long run it's your team and nothing to do with me* so it's up to you whether you want to exclude tc's efforts or not.

* I thought maybe my 30 years rowing experience might be helpful - that's all
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

simonp

« Reply #411 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:42:04 pm »
It's not my team. If it was intended to be then I'd not call it yacf I'd have called it the people's popular front or something.

I've given myself blisters and stomach cramp now :(

« Reply #412 on: 06 January, 2011, 11:03:20 am »
I've just signed up and logged this morning's metres.

Look who we're beating in the team standings:

Staying ahead of 'The Killer Bees' is my motivator.

Chris S

« Reply #413 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:47:25 pm »
I'm adjusting to a new diet. I got it wrong today - and had to stop three quarters of the way through a 10k with a massive dose of bonk. Shaky hands, jelly legs, clammy sweat - the lot.

Feeling much better now lunch has taken effect - and after snacking through the afternoon, I'll endeavour to do another 5k later.

« Reply #414 on: 07 January, 2011, 08:13:59 am »
OK, I'm in with my puny weekly contribution. Had a shock about the distances that you guys seemed to have clocked up already this year but later realised that I had to separately join the team for this year's challenge not just generally allocate myself to a team so I was probably looking at your all time figures.

I am not going to get obsessive about this but I might try to spend a bit more time on the rower in my weekly gym session. However, I find even if I have a good drink immediately before rowing, by the end of 2km I'm gasping for a drink - actually before I figured out how to start to get the stroke rate down I was gasping after 1km.  How do those of you who do 5km or more in a stint cope? Do you pause for a drink or have you all got camelbacks on or something?  :-\

Chris S

« Reply #415 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:28:39 am »
I sometimes pause halfway through a 10k for a drink and to ease my aching arse. I have more of an issue with the seat!

Do you get that thirsty normally?

« Reply #416 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:45:58 am »
I don't drink anything during a 10k row.  Mind you, I row in my garage where the temperature is only a few degress higher than the outside temperature, so it's rather different from making the same effort in a warm gym. 

As regards seat problems, I used to find 10k efforts uncomfortable, but now I just put a folded towel on the seat as a cushion, and it doesn't bother me any more.  I think you can buy seatpads from Concept2 if you feel so inclined.

The only other thing I would say in reply to Saturn's query is that for a 10k effort, you have to pace yourself.  You can't do it at the same intensity as a 2k row.  In that respect it's like going out for a run.  Most of us couldn't run 10k at the same pace as we could run 1500m!  I use my heart rate to regulate my efforts.  I work on the assumption that my absolute max HR is around 180, and I try to keep my 10k heart rate below about 155, except in the final 1000metres or so.  That way I can keep going without getting too overstressed.

« Reply #417 on: 07 January, 2011, 10:04:53 am »
Do you get that thirsty normally?

Not especially and I'm not a prolific sweater. I am accustomed to drinking regularly on the turbo / gym bike though - I'd expect to drink a full .75l bottle in 1 hour on the turbo. Last night I spent just under 2 hours in the gym and drank about 1.2 litres.

It may just be in the mind because during any other cardio exercise I'm conditioned to taking a gulp every 5 minutes so after 5 minutes (*) on the rower my brains telling me to take a drink.

Next time I'll maybe do an early easy session on the rower and see how far I can go, leaving a harder 2km session until later.

* Edit: I don't mean to imply I do 2km in 5 mins, it takes me 9 mins. After 5 mins I fancy a drink, after 9 mins my brains saying "I said drink ages ago FFS!"

simonp

« Reply #418 on: 07 January, 2011, 11:47:55 am »
I do 2K to warm up then my 10K at a faster pace.

I take a 750ml bottle, with Torq Energy (similar to the High 5 Super Carbs stuff) I drink about half the bottle before the 2K, another 1/4 between the 2K and the 10K and the rest after, when I'm doing resistance stuff, then I go for a swim.

Chris S

« Reply #419 on: 07 January, 2011, 12:09:17 pm »

I take a 750ml bottle, with Torq Energy (similar to the High 5 Super Carbs stuff) I drink about half the bottle before the 2K, another 1/4 between the 2K and the 10K and the rest after, when I'm doing resistance stuff, then I go for a swim.

Yebbut - you're nuts.  ;D ;)

Right. I'm off to do the 10K I should have done yesterday. I went out on the bike in the end yesterday as, having seen the forecast for today, I realised I probably wouldn't want to go out today  :hand:.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #420 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:05:36 pm »
I did a 10k on Tuesday & Thursday followed by some core work, that's it this week. I haven't even been out on the bike. Regardless, on the quiet I fnd a 10k quite a big effort, not after but the next day I feel a bit run down. It's probably a nutrition thing.

Mental note: don't even think about a 10k the day before an Audax.

simonp

« Reply #421 on: 07 January, 2011, 10:15:41 pm »

Yebbut - you're nuts.  ;D ;)

Right. I'm off to do the 10K I should have done yesterday. I went out on the bike in the end yesterday as, having seen the forecast for today, I realised I probably wouldn't want to go out today  :hand:.

I've done mine for today - putting me onto 43K.  That was the fastest I've done this year, but still slow compared to my PB.

My cough has improved a bit, which is nice.

simonp

« Reply #422 on: 07 January, 2011, 10:39:58 pm »
So here I am thinking my rowing times are a bit slow/it seems like hard work.

Except, I'm actually rowing faster times than a year ago.  I seem to be averaging around 30-60s faster for 10K than around the end of 2009/early 2010.  Furthermore, I've only rowed two > 42:00:00 times this time around, whereas back then the majority were over 42 minutes.  And most of these times are with me deliberately easing off.

:facepalm:

Silly boy.

(Of course, these times are nowhere near the PB I set in June, though I did do one sub-40-minute time in December, just to see if I still could).

« Reply #423 on: 08 January, 2011, 12:06:56 pm »
Just found out my daughter's training session at the pool that has the gym has been extended to 2.5 hours so no excuses for not clocking up a few more meters now  :)

simonp

« Reply #424 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:03:59 pm »
That's me onto 67km. And I'm ahead of schedule on my 2011 swimming goal. :)