Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 228738 times)

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #475 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:52:55 pm »
At the time of writing we're 15k down on the KBs.
Yes! We're ahead ... by 2.5K !! Excellent work everybody!

KBs are a US team, so it really may get to the wire, will they pip us at the post when our day is over?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #476 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:55:27 pm »
Good effort Chris though tomorrow needs to be a monster day. 2x7 will do it. I just need 7km to see out January.

Yes, as I write, the KBs are history. Savour the moment but let's not be complacent. It's not over till it's over.

« Reply #477 on: 30 January, 2011, 08:05:48 pm »
Errmm, seems like there is after all one remaining Monday this month so I might be able to find another 5k

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #478 on: 30 January, 2011, 08:23:23 pm »
(* Blues riff..  because I was wearing blue on the river today *)

I woke up this morning,
Even before the six-o-clock news.

Well I woke up this morning,
And I'd used up my last excuse.

I've got those "I don't wannabe out on the river on a cold January morning" blues.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #479 on: 30 January, 2011, 08:26:00 pm »
(* Blues riff..  because I was wearing blue on the river today *)

I woke up this morning,
Even before the six-o-clock news.

Well I woke up this morning,
And I'd used up my last excuse.

I've got those "I don't wannabe out on the river on a cold January morning" blues.

Well, not much longer to wait. It will be February on Tuesday!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #480 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »
Good effort Chris though tomorrow needs to be a monster day. 2x7 will do it. I just need 7km to see out January.

OK - you're on. Today was all about the bike I'm afraid.

BTW - ITYM 2x8 ;)

simonp

« Reply #481 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:07:33 pm »
Well, I did it. 1000m warm up then obliterated my 5000m PB.  :o

Average power was 238W. I'm going to be wrecked tomorrow.

I'd tell you the time but you'd not believe me.  :P

simonp

« Reply #482 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:17:29 pm »
Ranked it. 25th out of 170 in 30-39 lightweight male. Given I'm at the top end of that age range, I'm quite pleased with that to say the least.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #483 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:18:49 pm »
OK - what time was it?

simonp

« Reply #484 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:33:03 pm »
18:57.1

I was planning to try just to shave a bit off the old PB (19:32.1 or thereabouts) which the 1:56 I mentioned would have achieved. But I overdid the first few pulls and found myself at around 1:53 then found it difficult to ease off. So I just stuck with it, eventually settling down to 1:53-1:54. I didn't have a hrm on, I think that would have just scared me. I wasn't sure I would be able to hold that pace but by half way I'd an average of 1:53.8 and I knew that even if I eased off to 2:00 for the second half it'd still be a PB. From 2000m to go I was hanging on a bit and slowed to 1:55 for a while but managed to up the pace from about 500m and got below 1:50 at the end. Average pace ended up at 1:53.7.

Stomach felt a bit funny at times, but ok as soon as I stopped and I recovered quickly. Went and did nearly an hour's abs & core routine, and then 500m slightly subdued swimming.

Still not as fast as Andy's PB afaik.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #485 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:39:20 pm »
18:57.1

I was planning to try just to shave a bit off the old PB (19:32.1 or thereabouts) which the 1:56 I mentioned would have achieved. But I overdid the first few pulls and found myself at around 1:53 then found it difficult to ease off. So I just stuck with it, eventually settling down to 1:53-1:54. I didn't have a hrm on, I think that would have just scared me. I wasn't sure I would be able to hold that pace but by half way I'd an average of 1:53.8 and I knew that even if I eased off to 2:00 for the second half it'd still be a PB. From 2000m to go I was hanging on a bit and slowed to 1:55 for a while but managed to up the pace from about 500m and got below 1:50 at the end. Average pace ended up at 1:53.7.

Stomach felt a bit funny at times, but ok as soon as I stopped and I recovered quickly. Went and did nearly an hour's abs & core routine, and then 500m slightly subdued swimming.

Still not as fast as Andy's PB afaik.

I'm still quite chuffed with my 29m 30-odd seconds. Trouble is, the back's playing up at the moment and I reckon giving the rowing a rest until it's better might not be that bad an idea.

simonp

« Reply #486 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:44:30 pm »
There was no way in my mid 20s could I have done that. I joined a gym. They said row 1500m in my work-outs.  Rowing at 2:05ish for 1000m killed me.

I think it clicked after swimming classes. More upper body strength and better technique.

You're wise to rest your back. Maybe work at shorter distances as well.

In my abs and core work out I really struggle with the back exercise. Suggests I've weak back muscles. Something to work on.

Chris S

« Reply #487 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:32:13 am »
First instalment done  :thumbsup:.

In fact, I rowed 10k. But it was slow. Slow and tough going; the poor old bod is a bit tired after hilly exertions on the bike yesterday.

More fun later.

simonp

« Reply #488 on: 31 January, 2011, 09:54:34 am »
Ouch.

To get 7 minutes for 7000m equates to 1:45.0 which is about 300 Watts.

300 W for 7 minutes. Hmmmm.

simonp

« Reply #489 on: 31 January, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »
The damage:

- my left knee was a bit achy after the row, and both knees are slightly stiff this morning
 - I have a slightly sore right wrist (outside edge)
 - I'm knackered.  I didn't even cycle to work.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #490 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:42:44 pm »
FAO swarm_catcher:

:thumbsup:
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #491 on: 31 January, 2011, 04:32:29 pm »
 ;D lovely jobely!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well done everybody, amazing! 

« Reply #492 on: 31 January, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »
Sorry I wasn't able to do more in the final week of the challenge.  I had a rest day last Wednesday, then on Thursday I was struck down with some flu-like virus.  Since then I haven't been able to do any rowing at all :(.

simonp

« Reply #493 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:00:25 pm »
I thought I was on 95,000m.  I'm on 100,000m.

I'm not doing any more.   :P

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #494 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:02:28 pm »
This challenge: does it happen every month? Is it only open to Concept owners?

Chris S

« Reply #495 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:07:04 pm »

The Concept website have regular challenges, both individual and team-based that pop up all year round. The January one is a regular. All you need is to use the Concept online logbook to log your rowing sessions, and sign up to any teams that you might fancy (eg: YACF). To my knowledge, nobody checks whether you row on a Concept or not.

Just another 6k for me to get to 100k for January. I have perma-hunger today, so have just had a marmalade sandwich in preparation. Better get and row quick, before I'm hungry again...

simonp

« Reply #496 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:16:35 pm »

The Concept website have regular challenges, both individual and team-based that pop up all year round. The January one is a regular. All you need is to use the Concept online logbook to log your rowing sessions, and sign up to any teams that you might fancy (eg: YACF). To my knowledge, nobody checks whether you row on a Concept or not.

Just another 6k for me to get to 100k for January. I have perma-hunger today, so have just had a marmalade sandwich in preparation. Better get and row quick, before I'm hungry again...

AFAICT, you're not supposed to rank pieces done on non Concept II equipment.  And for top-three placings you have to prove it was on a Concept II.  Other than that, there are AFAIK no checks.

simonp

« Reply #497 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:20:19 pm »
This is the next challenge:

Concept2: Valentine Challenge

Useless.

simonp

« Reply #498 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:21:33 pm »
As for the March Madness:

Concept2: March Madness

:hand:

Chris S

« Reply #499 on: 31 January, 2011, 06:04:51 pm »
There you go - 101k. Phew - 16.5k is the most I've rowed in one day. Manotea - you are a bad man... ;)

Anyhoo... an excellent team effort folks  :thumbsup: