Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 228838 times)

simonp

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #525 on: 24 February, 2011, 06:14:03 pm »
Even with good choons I very much doubt I'd have the willpower for that. Well done!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #526 on: 24 February, 2011, 06:23:57 pm »
Even with good choons I very much doubt I'd have the willpower for that. Well done!

Willpower be damned. Audio books are your friend, in my case, 'The colour of Magic' by Terry Pratchett. I'm up to chapter 24 of 85...

Chris S

« Reply #527 on: 24 February, 2011, 08:37:04 pm »
I did a 42min 10k on Tuesday and went along to the gym last night feeling a bit rundown but feeling I ought to do something to work off the vast amount of scoff I'd eaten all day and did ... <snip something pretty incredible>

:o

Respect! I thought 15k was barking when I did it, but 21k is totally gaga. Well done indeed  :thumbsup:.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #528 on: 25 February, 2011, 08:56:43 pm »
"I ought to do something to work off the vast amount of scoff I'd eaten all day and did a 1:34 Half Marathon", like you do...  Chapeaux!

Blimey, 30 mins @20spm put me in the 'wringable' category (after my C-Breeze blew off in the warm-up), you must have been near floating.

Manotea

« Reply #529 on: 01 March, 2011, 11:49:36 pm »
I think my bum is getting bigger becoming more muscular. That's a good thing, right?

simonp

« Reply #530 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:01:13 am »
I think my bum is getting bigger becoming more muscular. That's a good thing, right?

I think Mrs Manotea should be the judge of that.  :P

Manotea

« Reply #531 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:09:50 pm »
Well chaps, its March madness now. That will be 25 * 5km...

simonp

« Reply #532 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:13:07 pm »
Oiss pff.

« Reply #533 on: 08 March, 2011, 10:03:15 pm »
I've "missed out" and the March Madness, and see that another team challenge is coming up on 15th March.

Simon, did you intend to enter the team?

simonp

« Reply #534 on: 08 March, 2011, 11:45:27 pm »
I've "missed out" and the March Madness, and see that another team challenge is coming up on 15th March.

Simon, did you intend to enter the team?

Mmmpf?  What?  Team?

Oh, I think you can just use the existing team, yacf, it still exists.  Just go to the teams page,
Concept2 Online Logbook
, and then click the link to join the challenge.  Hopefully.

Oh, tried that and it said the team wasn't signed up.  It is now, so you can see standings.  Each member still needs to sign up individually to have their metres count.

Manotea

« Reply #535 on: 09 March, 2011, 06:22:33 am »
March Madness is a tricky one for AUKs as it effectively means that you have to plan on being in the gym most every day that you are not riding. Anyway's I've only done two sessions to-date so it's already a bust for me. I'll sign up for the World Challenge though. You've got to be in it to win it, though it would be a truly sad day for the world of rowing if we did!

« Reply #536 on: 09 March, 2011, 06:41:29 am »
I'm not intending to do long distances, but interval sessions. The challenge will still motivate me to do them regularly.

Thanks, Simon.

Manotea

« Reply #537 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:48:46 am »
The C2s in my gym have PM4 monitors, so I've bought a logcard, £5 from the C2 website. I iz hardcore now.

You can interrogate the card on the monitor or buy a card reader for your PC. C2 have their own badged reader but they are a standard piece of kit gettable for half the price on eBay. Clicky.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #538 on: 09 March, 2011, 01:18:17 pm »
I'm still in it for March madness, I missed out on 2 days because I had a badminton tournament
But I hope to complete it  :thumbsup:

Oh and I have signed up for the team challenge for YACF. I might just as well row since there are no
signs of spring yet.  :(

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #539 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:54:15 am »
well the cold wind from the east have returned, so I went to the gym this morning.
New PB on 10.000 meters 43.08  :D all most an improvement of 3 minutes in a month,
I'm getting fitter again.

simonp

« Reply #540 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:32:26 pm »
So we are getting the metres in: I have done 2x10,000 so far.

The first was 44:44.1; the second 44:44.4.  Only took two attempts to hit it.

No, I'm not going to be trying for 33:33.3 next.

simonp

« Reply #541 on: 17 March, 2011, 11:09:05 pm »
Tonight's boring target was 150W average power.  Burned 600 calories.

Manotea

« Reply #542 on: 18 March, 2011, 07:56:57 am »
I've got most of the Discworld novels on MP3 and now associate 'reading' the novels with using the Erg. If I want to find out what happens next I have to go to the gym. Did an easy 44m 10K (2:10/500m) last night, just jogging along listening to Terry (Nigel Planer, actually). This sort of pace is fairly effortless at the moment, positively audaxesque, I just relax into it and chug long. I'm going to have a crack at a full marathon Mararthon in the next couple of weeks. I need to get it done before the bike mileage starts to crank up as I expect I'll lose some upper body strength and I will not have time to recover between events.

Chris S

« Reply #543 on: 20 March, 2011, 11:58:21 am »
Long time since I tried for a PB at anything, and I've been on core tone work for a few weeks now, so thought I'd give a fast 5k a bash. 20:51.4, which creamed my previous PB.

Woo Hoo!

Sub 20 still seems only a remote possibility - but you never know...

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #544 on: 20 March, 2011, 04:48:19 pm »
Great news Chris, and keep training and the 20 minute mark will be broken.

I have lowered my 10 km PB to 41.58, but I could feel it in my body for 3 days.  :(
I'm still in for March Madness and keep logging between 5 km and 15 km á day for the World Erg Challenge.  :smug:

« Reply #545 on: 20 March, 2011, 05:50:57 pm »

Hold on.. rowing may make my backside even bigger?

I'm not doing it any more!

« Reply #546 on: 21 March, 2011, 01:19:19 pm »
Right, I'll apologise to start by saying I'm more of a ghoster than a poster on these forums but I do try to keep abreast with bits and pieces. Anyway...I've just signed up to Fitness First and am keen on picking up rowing again having not done it for bloody ages.

So, any tips on a good starter / beginners programme at all?
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

simonp

« Reply #547 on: 21 March, 2011, 01:34:28 pm »
Have a look at the concept ii website. They have technique advice on there. I'd suggest starting with no more than 2km and at a fairly easy pace, and don't be tempted to set the level high. Keep the stroke rate down to about 25spm and concentrate on form.

Chris S

« Reply #548 on: 21 March, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
So, any tips on a good starter / beginners programme at all?

Here's one of my early posts from up-thread, re - technique.

Cross Training: Rowing

« Reply #549 on: 24 March, 2011, 09:46:52 am »
BBC Sport - Rowing - Pinsent watches Boat Race 'beast' in fitness test

Screengrab of the numbers from his test:-

http://www.greenbank.org/misc/rowscreengrab.jpg

Averaging over 500W for more than 4 minutes. Eeek.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."