Author Topic: Sussex Perms  (Read 3885 times)

Sussex Perms
« on: 10 February, 2021, 09:02:23 pm »

Ok... maybe not that kind.

So as someone new to the 'formal' world of Audax and looking to dip their toe in before signing up to AUK, can anyone advise me of anywhere to find routes for a few Sussex Perm that might worth me trying out.

I'm good for 100- 150km, so need to start pushing myself to do more 200km. I've only done that distance three times in the last year having only really returned to cycling properly last  year after a few years break (although I always had a bike). 

To be honest in fitter days I was more of a trackie and was also a cycle courier (less mileage with most companies than you might think, but often riding fairly high average speeds). But have done  around 200k quite a few times in the past, just not for about 10 years.

I know routes change but any advice on any good 100 to 200km routes would be great. I don't use a GPS, nor do I currently intend to get one. Nothing wrong with an O/ S map especially if you're familiar with the area.

I live in the Worthing Area to give a starting point.

Re: Sussex Perms
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2021, 09:19:07 pm »
You could try searching on the Audax UK website for local rides, at https://audax.uk/choose-a-ride/permanent-events/

There are a number in your area, and can be ridden without a GPS device.

Of course, there is no validation of rides currently, but this will give you a guide.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2021, 09:35:49 pm »
That's really useful! Surprised not to see the Worthing Winter Warmer included when I searched the list?

I'm not really interested in validation right now, just enjoying getting the miles in.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2021, 09:50:14 pm »
Anton Brown organises quite a few perms in Sussex, including a lot of good rides that were originally put up by El Supremo.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2021, 11:31:17 pm »
Anton Brown organises quite a few perms in Sussex, including a lot of good rides that were originally put up by El Supremo.
Very much this. Before you know it, you'll be anxious to get out and ride a very pleasant 200k. Take a look at the Audax website for perms.
Some excellent routes in there. I tried to make my own for DIY by GPS validation then gave up: it's much easier to just let someone else do the work then enter their perm.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2021, 06:50:11 am »
That's really useful! Surprised not to see the Worthing Winter Warmer included when I searched the list?

I'm not really interested in validation right now, just enjoying getting the miles in.

Worthing Winter Warmer is only a calendar event as far as I know, there's a GPX file of the route available to download on the event page though, so you could use that to map the route and ride it even if you're not using a GPS.

As you may know, it starts and finishes at Dial Post and doesn't actually pass through Worthing!

Link to event page: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=7996

« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2021, 11:43:21 am »
What's the difference between a perm and a calendar?

I've known about the WWW for a while, but I've never done it. I guess Worthing Excelsior hold it up that way because it allows a nicer and safer route? It would actually add about another 50km to the route for me, but thats fine, adds to the experience!

« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2021, 01:18:43 pm »
What's the difference between a perm and a calendar?

I've known about the WWW for a while, but I've never done it. I guess Worthing Excelsior hold it up that way because it allows a nicer and safer route? It would actually add about another 50km to the route for me, but thats fine, adds to the experience!
https://audax.uk/about-audax/new-to-audax/
Permanent events are for individual cyclists on a route set by the organiser, and may be ridden on any date, agreed in advance between rider and organizer. (DIY are a 'type' of permanent where the rider plans and agrees the route with the (area) DIY organiser.) ETA: More than one individual entrant may ride together (though last summer 'rule of 6' applied).
Calendar events are ridden on specified date(s) published in the AUK calendar.
Routes and controls are set by the organiser.
https://audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/permanent-events/
https://audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/do-it-yourself-diy-events/

« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2021, 06:57:47 pm »
If you search the AUK site for perms using ‘El Supremo’ or Petworth you will find all my rides.

Details include routesheet and gpx track are available against each ride for further information

A lot start finish from Hailsham and travel both East into Kent and West into West Sussex/Hampshire

Anton

Update I also have a 100 ‘the devils Punchbowl ‘, out of Steyning

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:00:27 pm »
I run 3 East / West Sussex based 100-200k perms but they are hilly! Anton's tend to be more gentle and rolling and are highly recommended although as you know neither of the counties are flat!

https://audax.uk/choose-a-ride/permanent-events/

and enter text search Malins  :thumbsup: just remember to untick the hide suspended events box or you will find nothing

i pass through Worthing quite a lot on non AUK 100-150k rides so happy to share please PM although they are all GPX based

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:56:21 am »
Really appreciate everyone's help on this!

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:41:33 pm »
If ever we get back to normality, you might want to consider going for the Grimpeur du Sud badge and using that as training for the Hills & Mills and the Mad Jack's events. While they are worth doing in their own right, if you can do that you'll be well set up for just about any audax event in in the following summer. And in that I include the longest rides.

« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2021, 10:40:45 am »
If ever we get back to normality, you might want to consider going for the Grimpeur du Sud badge and using that as training for the Hills & Mills and the Mad Jack's events. While they are worth doing in their own right, if you can do that you'll be well set up for just about any audax event in in the following summer. And in that I include the longest rides.

I probably will try this next year if possible, even if I'm not much of a
grimpeur.

I did just over a century on Saturday in about 8 and a bit hours with a couple of coffee stops and a pretty strong and chilly headwind for part of the route and still felt like I could of done the extra km's. But it was a rolling route and I actually had to stick to busier roads than I would of liked because of ice.

I think one of the elements that attracts me to Audax though is the social element and the fact you're all getting together to complete a challenge. Of course, it'll be a while before it's safe to do some of these events socially again.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:40:23 pm »
there's nothing to stop you downloading the GPX track of a route such as the AAA Milne or another of the GdS routes and simply riding it to see how you feel. You'd not have a validated ride but you'd have more confidence.

« Reply #14 on: 19 February, 2021, 11:00:25 am »
If you search the AUK site for perms using ‘El Supremo’ or Petworth you will find all my rides.

Details include routesheet and gpx track are available against each ride for further information

A lot start finish from Hailsham and travel both East into Kent and West into West Sussex/Hampshire

Anton

Update I also have a 100 ‘the devils Punchbowl ‘, out of Steyning

I run 3 East / West Sussex based 100-200k perms but they are hilly! Anton's tend to be more gentle and rolling and are highly recommended although as you know neither of the counties are flat!

https://audax.uk/choose-a-ride/permanent-events/

and enter text search Malins  :thumbsup: just remember to untick the hide suspended events box or you will find nothing

i pass through Worthing quite a lot on non AUK 100-150k rides so happy to share please PM although they are all GPX based

I'll definitely look to start incorporating some of your routes into rides, maybe get one of the hilly 100s done that includes a bit of a ride out from mine to get the extra miles in.

there's nothing to stop you downloading the GPX track of a route such as the AAA Milne or another of the GdS routes and simply riding it to see how you feel. You'd not have a validated ride but you'd have more confidence.

I don't have a GPS and at this stage I'm not crazy about getting one, though by the looks of it there's apps for phones. I'm guessing I will eventually have to get one, but I prefer an O/S or A- Z. I take it there's a way to convert the maps into another kind of document?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #15 on: 19 February, 2021, 07:06:44 pm »
No problem not having a GPS, just download the gpx file, then upload it to a suitable website. If you like OS maps then bikehike.co.uk may suit. You can see the route and transcribe it onto your own map.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #16 on: 20 February, 2021, 06:00:20 pm »
The Garmin Etrex HcX gave me many happy rides for several years until my ambitions exceeded its abilities (and in many cases, my own abilites). It's a perfectly reliable and functional piece of kit and you can get them on eBay for about £30 ish. Remember to buy the handlebar mount at the same time.
It takes a fair while to get the hang of loading and operating these things, and a lot of it is in the mapping you decide to use. I'm a fan of Garmin maps because they have only the roads on them, you don't need to know churches, etc.
But there's a reason why just about everyone uses them now. I used to mark the route on OS maps at 1:50,000 and clip them to the bars, but when you get to 200k you have 120 inches of maps getting in the way. also when you're tired the GPS unit will go BLEEP! and an arrow tells you which way to turn.
But you are right to look at maps  now: GPS can come later. There'll be no shortage of people happy to show you how they picked it up.
Good luck. Keep us informed, I've found Auks to be very friendly and helpful.

« Reply #17 on: 24 February, 2021, 09:33:20 pm »
In addition to perms that look to be opening up for validation after March 29th, there are also some calendar events near you.

In July I run a 100 & 200 out of Steyning that is near to Worthing and maybe of interest. Search audax calendar events for the Devil Punchbowl for more info.

I also run events out of Petworth of 100 and 200k called the Start of SummerTime and End of SummerTime in March and October

Anton

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 24 February, 2021, 11:22:36 pm »
^^^
These are fine events. Recommended.

« Reply #19 on: 26 February, 2021, 02:53:58 pm »
Yeah I can see myself doing the Devils Punchbowl, although I'm not great in the proper hot weather, so might just do the 100. But hopefully by that point I'll be comfortable with doing a 200 anyways. The end of Summer time I should be well up for!

« Reply #20 on: 26 February, 2021, 05:34:44 pm »
The is a perm covering the Devils Punchbowl 100

« Reply #21 on: 21 March, 2021, 12:51:58 pm »
So I did a sort of DiY (ok so I nicked parts of the route from Anton) 200 yesterday. Well it was supposed to be 200, but ended up a 220 since I got lost.

I was a little surprised at how long it took me,  about 11 hours, but there was nutional breaks... OK stuffing myself twice on cake and coffee and a few brief stays in Audax Hotels along the route for a fine lunch and then an afternoon tea of Peanut Butter and Jam Sandwiches.

At least I know I can do it now. Anton will send you a pm soon about  doing some of your perms in the future.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #22 on: 21 March, 2021, 01:03:23 pm »
how long it took me,  about 11 hours
A perfectly respectable time that would put you in the first half of the finishers in almost any 200k calendar event. If this is total time, you are A God Of The Cycling World, if it's moving time that is still really very good.
What you lack is not ability or speed, it's self-confidence. You're good at this.

« Reply #23 on: 21 March, 2021, 01:54:06 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Martin. It was probably 11 hrs 25 mins total time. I left home at 0815 and got back at 1931 according to the clock on the microwave.

The route was at best rolling, arguably fairly flat. Although I'm a bit of a lump, I spent 7 years riding a bike for work and did do a little bit of track racing in that time. Despite being overweight by my standards (13 and a bit, when I'd like to be 12 stone), I can keep a fair pace on the flat, but I'm not very good on hills (other than really short ones I can power up). I can definately feel my legs right now.

I recon my first calendar events will be slower, because I'll no doubt want to enjoy the company and the experience. Yesterday I was pushing myself a bit, partly because I gave myself too hard a schedule. Although I'm new to Audax, I've been a cyclist on and off for about 30 years. One of the key things I've already learnt about Audax is it's NOT a race, it really is just about the taking part.

« Reply #24 on: 21 March, 2021, 05:24:11 pm »
So I did a sort of DiY (ok so I nicked parts of the route from Anton) 200 yesterday. Well it was supposed to be 200, but ended up a 220 since I got lost.

I was a little surprised at how long it took me,  about 11 hours, but there was nutional breaks... OK stuffing myself twice on cake and coffee and a few brief stays in Audax Hotels along the route for a fine lunch and then an afternoon tea of Peanut Butter and Jam Sandwiches.

At least I know I can do it now. Anton will send you a pm soon about  doing some of your perms in the future.

Perms will be opening for entry sometime next week ready for riding/validation from March 29th