Author Topic: Magic !  (Read 1282 times)

Magic !
« on: 11 June, 2011, 08:39:36 pm »
Spent the day piloting my blind mates Greenspeed recumbent tandem trike around London. 47 miles including dicing with death around Hyde Park Park. Most fun I've had on a bike for ages. I don't know what it is about the bike, but it seems to bring out the best in people even taxi drivers and white van men  ! No doubt it will be the first of many trips around town, so please give us a wave if you see us. Not easy to miss as it's bright red and the size of an average car !
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

Re: Magic !
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2011, 09:29:56 pm »
Recumbent trikes seem to have that effect on drivers whether tandem or solo, sbrilliant  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2011, 11:16:26 am »
I find I get more roadroom when I'm on my upwrong trike as well as my recumbent. I wonder sometimes if they see it as some sort of disabled vehicle, or perhaps it's just closer to being a car with the extra wheel. It would be interesting to ask some of the drivers.

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »
True, we had that on our Ken Rogers Tandem Trike (bloody unreliable beast that it was) and twas the same on that, I think it is the WTFIT kicking in.
        I cannot remember if twas Richerd Ballantine or the late great Sheldon Brown who had the theory that most vehicles are driven on autu pilot 95% of the time and when the brain (partly slumbering) sees this sort of thing it goes "WTFIT" and gives an over the top reaction of super wide birth, as long as it works eh ?
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2011, 03:29:23 pm »
Spent the day piloting my blind mates Greenspeed recumbent tandem trike around London. 47 miles including dicing with death around Hyde Park Park. Most fun I've had on a bike for ages. I don't know what it is about the bike, but it seems to bring out the best in people even taxi drivers and white van men  ! No doubt it will be the first of many trips around town, so please give us a wave if you see us. Not easy to miss as it's bright red and the size of an average car !

Recumbent triking through France, 8 of us on solo trikes, I thought we attracted attention.  Then we rode back on 6 solos and a tandem trike.  It was like the circus coming to town....

There's a definite WTF factor - we get it to some extent on the Maximus upright trikes at work too, although the big load of recycling probably helps as well.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »
Awesome!  I bet you had lotsa fun.  :D

Hyde Park corner is awesome fun on a recumbent:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iTnZ18TWeRU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iTnZ18TWeRU&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2011, 06:46:26 am »
I thought it was the WTF factor plus the fact you look more vulnerable - either way it makes a refreshing change  :)
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain