Author Topic: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series  (Read 71918 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series
« Reply #400 on: 16 November, 2020, 07:23:37 pm »
I'm going to check the route for the Stansted Airport Express soon, but can't do it as a 'Helpers' Ride', as the lockdown (theoretically) ends on 2nd December, only a few days before the event. I would be up for a Helpers' Ride: going the weekend after is possible of course, to keep up my unblemished Winter Series record, but I really do need to ride round first, check the infos etc. Either day this coming weekend would be ok, so rule of two on the road applies - several mini-groups spread out a lot should be ok? Starting from Witham at 09:00 probably, watch the forecast ... and this space.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #401 on: 18 November, 2020, 08:59:09 am »
This Sunday's forecast is looking sunnier, with lighter winds, so that's the preferred option for an SAE route check at this point in time.

« Reply #402 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:59:21 am »
If the Kelvedon Oyster calendar ride does go ahead, it will take place on Saturday 23rd January (not the 16th as in the planner).  There is a lunchtime high tide on the 16th.

Meanwhile, the Oyster is now available as a permanent by old fashioned PoP or with validation by GPS - HERE
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #403 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:32:35 pm »
This Sunday's forecast is looking sunnier, with lighter winds, so that's the preferred option for an SAE route check at this point in time.
Hi Tomsk

I'd like to join you for ride on Sunday if a space is available.

Cheers

Grey Sheep

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #404 on: 21 November, 2020, 10:16:41 am »
Hi Tomsk

Cheers

Grey Sheep

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The plan is that Deniece will be joining me, but if you'd like to start a bit before, or after, 09:00 then it'd be good to see you (briefly and socially distant of course  ::-)) ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #405 on: 21 November, 2020, 10:20:38 am »
Also - there are still 15 places left for 5th December (assuming the current Lockdown-Lite ends as planned and Rule of 6 applies again for riding events). Entries close in a week's time - no entries on the line! I'll be allocating groups and emailing everyone next week.

« Reply #406 on: 21 November, 2020, 01:09:09 pm »
I've entered in hope, now I've regained access to my PayPal account (they were being funny about verification).

Also took the chance to read about the new app for validating (some) permanents. I love the idea of a control in the middle of a Derbyshire lake (on the test route)!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #407 on: 21 November, 2020, 05:51:51 pm »

It looks like I can't ride on the 5th — student-kicking-out day, I hadn't realised  ::-)

I'd be up to ride SAE tomorrow, Grey Sheep, if you're still heading out — at least until my legs give up and you disappear off into the distance #ineedtoridemybikemore #fatnotfit #lockdowniskillingme
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #408 on: 21 November, 2020, 06:47:41 pm »
I'd be up to ride SAE tomorrow, Grey Sheep, if you're still heading out — at least until my legs give up and you disappear off into the distance #ineedtoridemybikemore #fatnotfit #lockdowniskillingme

:thumbsup: Ok! I'll aim to ride a 'legitimate' Helpers' Ride on either the day after (Sun 6th) or the following Saturday (12th).

« Reply #409 on: 21 November, 2020, 06:58:30 pm »
I presume the Rendezvous Point is "near 'spoons" - in the alley to the side?
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #410 on: 22 November, 2020, 06:23:17 pm »
A lovely day for a ride: sunny, light winds, though on the cool side. Met up with Deniece at the Labour Hall and saw Wilkyboy and Grey Sheep at the 'Snug' in HIgh Easter for a coffee break. Just after we re-started Despeuch came by and had a chat too. Lots of riders out and about, in fact quite busy everywhere, with folk enjoying the good weather after a couple of iffy weekends. D & I had another break with a takeaway hot drink from 'Parrishes' in Thaxted, enjoyed in the sun on the front steps of the Guildhall - beats the garage up the road!

A few changes to the route sheet needed, missing signs and extra information here and there.

101 miles on 68" fixed for me and home by deep twilight. Smashing day out!

I have a feeling that with 5th December being only a couple of days after lockdown ends (if it actually does) then the roads are going to be mad, with eveyone out shopping and panic buying for Christmas ...  ::-)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #411 on: 22 November, 2020, 06:51:13 pm »
It was great to bump into you and D, Tomsk  :thumbsup:

Grey Sheep and I started a bit behind, as I had had to ride down to Witham.  A lovely day, starting cold and becoming really unexpectedly warm, and then very cold on the return leg home, just above freezing according to Gamrin.

After quite a lot of weeks of not enough exercise, this felt like my legs were going to drop off, especially once GS got into his rhythm and beasted me up all the hills chuckling "gears! gears!"  ::-) ;D

The café at Thremhall Park was open for take out, which was a welcome surprise.

The final leg home was lonely and slow in the dark-dark, although as always the pace increased once I was within the last 10K.  If only I could've maintained that pace all the way around and kept GS honest  ;)

It was great to ride with you, Grey Sheep  :thumbsup:

209km on 72-inch fixed, home in full-dark.  November RRTY ride done.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #412 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:01:42 pm »
For the first time in I don't know how long I have entered an audax event and might even finish it   ;D

See you all in a socially distanced kind of stylee on the start line of the Stansted Express  :thumbsup:

« Reply #413 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:26:17 pm »
For the first time in I don't know how long I have entered an audax event and might even finish it   ;D

Excellent news. As part of your targets for next year I suggest we add a 200km Audax to the list, give you a stretch goal to aim for :-) ... for the benefit of others reading this, this relates back to a question OD misheard in a beer garden about 18 months ago.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #414 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:28:25 pm »

Excellent news. As part of your targets for next year I suggest we add a 200km Audax to the list, give you a stretch goal to aim for :-) ... for the benefit of others reading this, this relates back to a question OD misheard in a beer garden about 18 months ago.

You best remind me of the question I misheard.  And if you're tempted to start suggesting i committed myself to something daft it could well be the case that you'll have to fook off  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #415 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:33:35 pm »

You best remind me of the question I misheard.  And if you're tempted to start suggesting i committed myself to something daft it could well be the case that you'll have to fook off  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LOL
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #416 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:34:39 pm »
See you all in a socially distanced kind of stylee on the start line of the Stansted Express  :thumbsup:

You’re going to wave everyone off, then go back to bed?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #417 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:39:39 pm »

You’re going to wave everyone off, then go back to bed?

Who knows!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #418 on: 30 November, 2020, 12:10:51 pm »
Emailing gone out this morning to all entrants for the Stansted Airport Express on Saturday. Any issues, omissions etc, let me know. We should have pretty much a full field of 50 riders, starting between 09:00 and 10:20. I'll check facilities at as many cafes and pubs en-route as possible, later in the week once lockdown ends.

Forecast: cold, possible a bit damp ...

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #419 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:42:59 pm »
Ploughing a lonely furrow for an EPE of 3Rs this Saturday, doubt I'll see any of you but I'll raise 3 swords (or are they kukris?) to any other riders I see
 :)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #420 on: 01 December, 2020, 08:38:15 am »
Ploughing a lonely furrow for an EPE of 3Rs this Saturday, doubt I'll see any of you but I'll raise 3 swords (or are they kukris?) to any other riders I see
 :)

Sceaxes - Saxon swords and supposedly a knock-off of a Roman Legionary's short sword, stylised  for heraldic purposes. I read somewhere the three sceaxes symbolise the Essex men that formed the Royal bodyguard on three crusades. Middlesex has the same coat-of-arms for the same reason. Like much of our history, nasty, brutish and short ( - the sceax, though the Essex Geezers themselves were presumably nasty, brutish and tall).

Cheers, and have a good ride!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #421 on: 04 December, 2020, 04:00:19 pm »
I've managed to drive out to inspect the flooding at some of the most likely locations this afternoon. There's quite a bit of deep-ish floods (8-10 inches) after Terling (the mini-ford, normally dry, currently fast flowing, though the footbridge might just be reachable), after High Easter, and later on,  back towards Witham either side of Ranks Green.

The Pincey Brook ford, after Hatfield Broad Oak is very deep, with the footbridge and its approaches under a lot of water. It might have subsided a bit to be useable tomorrow (it takes run-off from the airport which causes rapid rises in level) but the B road alternative described on the route sheet might be a wise move: essentially continue from HBO up to L @ the Four Ashes X at Takeley, follow the B1256 to Thremhall.

The gritters are out this evening, which doesn't look very promising. Plan B might be to reverse the route, taking the B road (Faulkbourne road) to Braintree, then the Dunmow B1256 to Rayne to pick up the Great Saling lane. With any luck the frost should have lifted by then ...

rob

« Reply #422 on: 04 December, 2020, 04:33:04 pm »
I've managed to drive out to inspect the flooding at some of the most likely locations this afternoon. There's quite a bit of deep-ish floods (8-10 inches) after Terling (the mini-ford, normally dry, currently fast flowing, though the footbridge might just be reachable), after High Easter, and later on,  back towards Witham either side of Ranks Green.

The Pincey Brook ford, after Hatfield Broad Oak is very deep, with the footbridge and its approaches under a lot of water. It might have subsided a bit to be useable tomorrow (it takes run-off from the airport which causes rapid rises in level) but the B road alternative described on the route sheet might be a wise move: essentially continue from HBO up to L @ the Four Ashes X at Takeley, follow the B1256 to Thremhall.

The gritters are out this evening, which doesn't look very promising. Plan B might be to reverse the route, taking the B road (Faulkbourne road) to Braintree, then the Dunmow B1256 to Rayne to pick up the Great Saling lane. With any luck the frost should have lifted by then ...

Provided I set off then I'll ride via the outward route Great Leighs and Terling.   I can let you know what it's like.

If it looks bad out there is a chance I won't set off as I'm a little concerned about icey conditions.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #423 on: 04 December, 2020, 04:42:51 pm »
Yep - same here, I've no reason to risk Ice this year, it's not like we're chasing keeping fitness for another big year,  so if it's icy when I get up tomorrow, I'll probably be a no show... (motivation is still quite low as I type  ::-) )

(though might mean I need to ride the perm/diy in order to keep up my "ridden them all" )
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #424 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:09:58 pm »
I'll aim to leave a bit early so I can drive in from Gt Leighs to have a look at the first few lanes. Having ridden in to starts that way many times I have a good recollection of where there have been icy patches before. And I can have another splash through the log-flume at the mini-ford near Terling.

I reckon some spare socks (or waterproof ones) and poly bags for sodden feet would be a good idea tomorrow. Along with a lifejacket and distress flares. I'll be needing the big coat for my vigil at the Labour Hall ... but at least the forecast is drier now, at least in terms of what falls from the sky!