Poll

Expressions of interest (and will have to check vacancies)

May 3rd week end
3 (27.3%)
May 10th week end
2 (18.2%)
May 17th week end
0 (0%)
May 24th week end
0 (0%)
May 31 week end
1 (9.1%)
Any of the above
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: The Cock at Broom - possible location for camping meet.  (Read 10380 times)

Re: The Cock at Broom - possible location for camping meet.
« Reply #75 on: 12 March, 2019, 11:48:41 pm »
I don't know the A1 underpass mentioned above but, looking at the map, it looks like you would need to get to it via Jordan's Mill. Southill Road, which takes you down past Jordan's Mill, is currently closed. It is due to re-open early April, but it's worth keeping an eye on notices.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #76 on: 12 March, 2019, 11:54:55 pm »
So, a site with no showers or hot water, and a lack of local shops, but a nice pub that won't be available for food and may be full of revellers and/or short of BEER?  Sounds a bit like Dunwich beach without the earwigs[1]...

Seems to me that since the main attraction is the pub, it's better to do it on a date when we could actually make decent use of it.  Or find an alternative destination.

[1] Admit that I'm jumping to conclusions here.  I've absolutely no reason to expect that there won't be earwigs.

« Reply #77 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:03:59 am »
If that is the general (understandable) feeling, then happy to defer to something else.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:24:36 am »
Tend to agree with Kim on this. Let's sort it for a date when we can enjoy the fine pub. I'm not fussed about earwigs, they'll make a change from the woodlice at home.

And thanks Canardly for the idea and organisation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #79 on: 13 March, 2019, 05:07:33 pm »
I will ring them tomorrow.

« Reply #80 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:50:00 pm »
I might just do a 24 hour thing to see what is what. That is all.

« Reply #81 on: 17 March, 2019, 08:20:56 pm »
Just to note that on a ride today we travelled off road along the riverside path from Biggleswade's old mill, which is pretty much town centre, bar crossing a road, to the far end entrance adjacent to Jordans Mill located a a few cycle minutes from Broom. The path is good quality all weather gravel and suitable for all but the most fragile tyres. There is a small section where it goes under the A1 with limited headroom but this is still cycleable subject to pedestrian and other cycle traffic. As stated above the bridge on the Southill road to Broom is being replaced and will not reopen until 7th April.

« Reply #82 on: 17 March, 2019, 08:59:14 pm »
As a local, that's interesting, although my OS map marks it as a public footpath, so not open for cycling. Is there in fact a permissive path or something?

Edit: probably the Green Wheel (bottom of page)?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #83 on: 18 March, 2019, 08:28:16 am »
I've ridden the old tow path between Biggleswade and Holme Mills (Jordan's), and the other way - from Holme Mills to Biggleswade, loads of times with nary a complaint from anyone. Just be sensible and *share* the space with pedestrians. Works for me.

I hope this meet doesn't happen while I'm away oop North. I'm looking forward to finally spotting some Forumites (I'm in Shefford - about 4 miles from Broom)

"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #84 on: 19 March, 2019, 12:12:15 pm »
I hope this meet doesn't happen while I'm away oop North. I'm looking forward to finally spotting some Forumites (I'm in Shefford - about 4 miles from Broom)
I'm just up the road in Bedford. PM me if you want to get together sometime.

« Reply #85 on: 19 March, 2019, 07:28:52 pm »
And I'm the same distance the other side of Shefford :)

« Reply #86 on: 29 March, 2019, 11:34:18 am »
Is this going to happen? . If so will it be on the 3rd ? If not should I go ahead with the wolsey meet?
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #87 on: 29 March, 2019, 12:07:20 pm »
No this is not happening due to the pub's kitchen being closed on the Saturday for a private celebratory do. If peeps are so minded I will organise something later in the year but will not be able to guarantee open days etc at various locations. It is still good cycling hinterland with a range of villages and ye olde pubbes and well situated for rail connections. Given the hugely disappointing Mildenhall situation is a possible alternative.

« Reply #88 on: 07 April, 2019, 08:36:22 pm »
Southill Road, which takes you down past Jordan's Mill, is currently closed. It is due to re-open early April, but it's worth keeping an eye on notices.
It's open.

« Reply #89 on: 07 April, 2019, 10:51:15 pm »
Southill Road, which takes you down past Jordan's Mill, is currently closed. It is due to re-open early April, but it's worth keeping an eye on notices.
It's open.
Thanks. I’ll be down that way soon!