Author Topic: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop  (Read 186076 times)

Re: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop
« Reply #225 on: 23 October, 2014, 10:21:46 am »
The last 2 are very close...

... I hope to post video of me demonstrating the contraption in my back garden TONIGHT.  :P
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #226 on: 23 October, 2014, 11:59:11 am »
Steadycam.

« Reply #227 on: 23 October, 2014, 12:02:03 pm »
Specifically, one of these, I reckon. I recognise the handle...

Do I use this as an excuse to try and post my own video again?  ;)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #228 on: 23 October, 2014, 12:19:58 pm »
Specifically, one of these, I reckon. I recognise the handle...

Do I use this as an excuse to try and post my own video again?  ;)

Got it, PhilO.  :-*

Edit - ...and now I've looked up your video on the 'Bike video cams' thread - I enjoyed that!  :thumbsup:

I'm not going to drill the mono-selfie-pod though.  :demon:

« Reply #229 on: 23 October, 2014, 12:44:27 pm »
Next I need a castor and a 15mm pipe clip.  ???

I don't need the wheel...  :-*

...coz I'm drilling and tapping the pipe clip to fit in there with M5 machine screws (If you want to make one, you can probably get away with self tapping screws)  ;)

Here are the parts...

...and here's the rig assembled (but not extended):  :smug:

« Reply #230 on: 23 October, 2014, 07:25:37 pm »
The usual way to deploy the GoSpin360 is to use strong velcro to attach to a helmet.

I used a couple of Neodynium magnets (one inside, one out) to attach it to my vintage top hat.  ::-)

Here is the promised video. It'snot very good I'm afraid, but you can get an idea of what it's supposed to do.

I need to point the camera downwards more, and it isn't quite as 'why-dangle' as a GoPro, so you can't make out that I'm riding the Wobblebike.  :)

http://youtu.be/ZOvb6wPRmJ0

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #231 on: 23 October, 2014, 08:55:13 pm »
Brilliant!  Been longing to see another project from you wobbly; shame you don't get time to post more of the stuff you get up to in school.

« Reply #232 on: 23 October, 2014, 09:12:19 pm »
I don't always do exciting stuff, Graeme. Today I've only been testing fume cupboards, pressure vessels and radioactive sources.

:o

« Reply #233 on: 24 October, 2014, 07:11:28 am »
Excellent stuff. The pipe clip is genius - disassemblability (is that a word? Probably not!) and adjustment in one.  :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #234 on: 09 November, 2014, 07:06:10 pm »
I don't always do exciting stuff, Graeme. Today I've only been testing fume cupboards, pressure vessels and radioactive sources.

:o

That would make life interesting for more than a few people I know!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #235 on: 22 February, 2015, 12:15:24 am »
Gosh, it's been a long time since I posted a project.  :-[

I know a few forumites have posted about making camping stoves - I made one of Charlotte's Woodburning ones, but I'd not managed to get the bits of can to fit together to replicate her 'Penny & beer can stove'

A couple of days ago, I saw a video onthe 'Bike & Bivi' facebook page about making a beer can stove with just a knife & scissors. So, tonight I thought I'd have a go at it.

The 'Pennyless Stove'  :D :

Step 1: cut the top out of a can - not in the bottom of the groove, but at the edge:

Step 2: mark a line round the can - hold the knife on a block of wood and rotate the can against it, pierce with a knife and use scissors to cut round at the mark:

Step 3: cut the top half so that the height of the parralel parts match. Then use the blade of the knife to press slight creases at 1/2" (or 'finger-width) intervals. I decided to use my gardning gloves for this stage.  :-[

You need to work at this until the bottom edge looks like a cookie cutter and there are little kinks where the can reduces in diameter:

Step 4: The two halves should easily fit together:

Step 5: a small breather hole needs to be punched in (twist the blade, don't stab)- just so that the tip o the knife can be felt to break through:

Total weight 10 gram.  :thumbsup:

Fill with meths to above the bottom of the 'pleats'. Light the meths in the middle and soon the meths will work up the pleats and burn at jets from the little creases round the top. A kettle or pan can then be placed on the rim of the can so that just the jets are alight.

After cooking the stove cools very quickly, and can be taken apart to make it easy to pour excess fuel back in the bottle.  :smug:

If you want to make one, watch the to get a better understanding.  :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #236 on: 23 February, 2015, 01:53:28 am »
Aha, I had missed my regular dose of Wobbly John. Always interesting.

It's a small world: five days ago I had a chat with a French chap looking for meths for his stove. It was exactly like that one. He was a weight weeny, with good reason: we were in southern Patagonia and he was riding to Ushuaia, which is the southernmost town in the world.

Myself, I use gas on this trip as the gas is easier to get here (believe it or not), quicker and you can use it inside the tent when it's cold outside. But in Europe I'm a meths man.
Very useful John, thanks.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #237 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:40:51 pm »
WJ, can I just file this with you now for later reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4laxhssY8o

« Reply #238 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:00:54 pm »
Toooooooooo clever for a simple soul like me.

I'm just off outside to try to film something new from the Workshop.  :D

« Reply #239 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:44:30 pm »
Any news on the mobile deckchair wj ?  :).
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #240 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:48:03 pm »
It's a small world: five days ago I had a chat with a French chap looking for meths for his stove. It was exactly like that one. He was a weight weeny, with good reason: we were in southern Patagonia and he was riding to Ushuaia, which is the southernmost town in the world.

I'm never sure about the weight weenie factor of these home-made burners.  What they save in weight they seem to make up for in fuel consumption, which soon makes things heavier overall if you're having to carry the fuel the whole way.

« Reply #241 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:49:25 pm »
Any news on the mobile deckchair wj ?  :).https://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/sad.gif

There is unlikely to be any progress until the summer on that project I'm afraid.  :(

« Reply #242 on: 24 February, 2015, 09:31:26 pm »
While i'm messing about with meths, I thought I'd film the firing up of a couple of simple pulse jets.  :demon:

It seems the conditions aren't good, or they don't like being filmed.  :-\

The first one normally runs for 2-3 seconds, but tonight i only got a few 1 second runs.  >:(

Turn the volume up - when you hear a farting sound, thats when it's working as a pulse jet...  :D

http://youtu.be/uNdAuvGYEdk

The new watercooled 'tin can' one was even less successful...

...but worth showing for how it ended.  :facepalm:

http://youtu.be/6uPKUyxikqk

« Reply #243 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:10:31 pm »
The 'Jam Jar Pulse Jet' (with added cooling tray) was much more playful tonight!  :D
Sorry about the lo-res phone video.

http://youtu.be/XmP9LKSR65c

:smug:

:smug:

:-[

:facepalm:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #244 on: 26 February, 2015, 02:52:40 am »
What they save in weight they seem to make up for in fuel consumption, which soon makes things heavier overall if you're having to carry the fuel the whole way.
interesting point that I hadn't considered. I'm now thinking of moving to gas (screw on canister tour with a Pocket Rocket) and caring a weight weenie coke can in case I have to use meths.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #245 on: 26 February, 2015, 02:00:29 pm »
The main attraction as I see it is that it's something you can molish with your swiss army knife, should you find yourself in unexpected need of a stove.  That's pretty cool.

ETA: I meant the beer can stove, not the pulse jet.  Although there's always someone who's going to try making a cup of tea with one...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iBw618geqyI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iBw618geqyI&rel=1</a>
http://youtu.be/iBw618geqyI

« Reply #246 on: 26 February, 2015, 02:02:05 pm »
I know that will be Colin Furze without even looking at the video link.  ;)

« Reply #247 on: 27 February, 2015, 06:48:39 am »
The main attraction as I see it is that it's something you can molish with your swiss army knife, should you find yourself in unexpected need of a stove.  That's pretty cool.

I quite like the idea of the two-can wood gasifier, myself. You get the scrap-built thing, and can scavenge fuel from the hedgerow (although maybe not in Ushuaia!). Bit more bulky (and sooty) though...

http://youtu.be/EtiEzPf6P_Y

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #248 on: 27 February, 2015, 01:41:40 pm »
I've got some Wilco coffee tins that I bought ages ago in order to make one of those, to a recipe described by Charlotte OTP.

I've been put off by the prospect of drilling into that much stubborn stainless (some sort of jig will I think be required), though I do at least have the drill press now...

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #249 on: 02 March, 2015, 08:41:06 am »
I know that will be Colin Furze without even looking at the video link.  ;)

Either his microphone was dead sensitive or he really needs to get some ear protection.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".