Author Topic: Above Knee muscle pain ( Vastus medilas I think )  (Read 1044 times)

Above Knee muscle pain ( Vastus medilas I think )
« on: 03 October, 2015, 10:45:48 am »
Can any kind person advise on this issue; in last couple months I`ve started to get a pain in the muscle I think is vastus medialis--ie it`s the muscle on front of upper leg, on inside and is the muscle that sometimes looks `bulgy` on cyclists knees.

It` s just on my left leg and feels bruised / knotted as if it`s been bashed into something (which it hasn`t). It`s also a bit tight feeling.

I think it may have arisen due to my trying to push harder in pedals particularly when riding fat on the flat, for some reason I`d started to develop a slightly more aggressive / lungy style riding on eth flat rather than smoothing the pedals round in a controlled manner.

At moment it`s more of an inconvenient ache, but any tips on what to do to avoid it getting worse?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Above Knee muscle pain ( Vastus medilas I think )
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2015, 10:58:42 am »
For no particular reason, I'd suggest stretches and higher cadence/lower load/gears - spinning.

« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2015, 11:02:03 am »
..and go back to smoother pedalling?!
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2015, 11:40:05 am »
..and go back to smoother pedalling?!

yes indeed, quite why I changed don`t know ::-) ::-)  (well actually I do, it was a misguided attempt to get my local 100km loop to under 4 hours, which I did, but ? )

And will refit my 12-32 block again for extra low gear for tomorrows hilly outing of 155km / 2 700m around welsh borders. had had on a 13-29 for slightly better gear spread ...
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above