Author Topic: Am I cycling too much?  (Read 2890 times)

Am I cycling too much?
« on: 15 November, 2015, 08:02:38 pm »
So far this year I`ve ridden just over 9000 miles; 10 000 mile is a possible target, most I`ve ever done. I`ve got plenty time on hands having been made redundant six weeks ago, and job finding is slow and difficult. So I`m a bit down, to put it mildly.

BUT I find getting out riding 20 to 40 miles a day is clearing my head and is acting as a bit of a cheering up, even given weather etc current. However with daily riding for last six weeks I`m getting really quite tired and average riding speed is coming down and I`ve lost `the zip` , I feel worn out.

So I`ve got a dilemma do I plod on, using cycling as an exercise upper / curing blues but getting tired or put it to rest for a few days / week in hope of reducing tiredness but risk getting more depressed / stressed about situation?

thanks
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Am I cycling too much?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:11:38 pm »
Have a week off so your body rests and comes back stronger, the basic principle of "training". Maybe a couple a short easy rides in your week off. Then have an easy week every 4 weeks.

« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »
Sorry to hear about your job, some people ride to work more than this on a daily basis, could your tiredness be linked in some way to losing your job?

If I was feeling tired I'd be tempted to rest a couple of days and see if this helps. Also I would try and find another activity as an alternative.

Good luck on finding another job.

« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:19:37 pm »
Have a week off so your body rests and comes back stronger, the basic principle of "training". Maybe a couple a short easy rides in your week off. Then have an easy week every 4 weeks.

mmm yes I`d agree but problem is that cycling is at moment breaking up day, giving a focus, getting me out ; I can do gardening etc, walk dog but still have time on hands. What to do if I don`t spend time on bike?? Outdoors is a key focus to me
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:35:43 pm »
walk?  cycle a short ride to the countryside, park up and  a cirular walk.  Speed/distance to suit energy levels?
Equip yourself with plant guide if desired.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:40:25 pm »
Go walking, I mean proper walking in the hills. I love walking the area where I cycle normally and coming out onto a road and realising where I am and seeing things from a different perspective. If you're like me you'll also realise how unfit, or cycling specific fit you are. I spent much of last winter walking rather than cycling and initially my joints, ligaments in fact everywhere was painful. After a while it got better and come the spring I felt great. Obviously another plus is you can walk when you can't cycle (I don't do ice).

« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:42:13 pm »
Sorry to hear about your job, some people ride to work more than this on a daily basis, could your tiredness be linked in some way to losing your job?

If I was feeling tired I'd be tempted to rest a couple of days and see if this helps. Also I would try and find another activity as an alternative.

Good luck on finding another job.

thanks John, possibly tiredness / redundancy yes I`d think probable

« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:46:36 pm »
Go walking, I mean proper walking in the hills. I love walking the area where I cycle normally and coming out onto a road and realising where I am and seeing things from a different perspective. If you're like me you'll also realise how unfit, or cycling specific fit you are. I spent much of last winter walking rather than cycling and initially my joints, ligaments in fact everywhere was painful. After a while it got better and come the spring I felt great. Obviously another plus is you can walk when you can't cycle (I don't do ice).

yes that`s something I`m thinking of--particularly living on east edge Wales I`ve got Radnor Hills / Black Mtn / Brecon Beacons very close and I used to love walking too (have got 190 about Munros `bagged `too  ;D ) so 10k miles is probably a stupid idea at moment, need a change

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2015, 09:35:14 pm »
I would suggest you take at least 24 hours (or even 48!) off the bike every week. Give your body a chance to rest and recover.
Tryto fit this into a weekly routine of some sort.
Hope you're feeling better soon!
Very sorry to hear about your job!

FWIW I managed 11,000 miles pa whilst holding down a full-time job once upon a time...

« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2015, 09:58:05 pm »
Give up until next year. You'll then be refreshed.
(click to show/hide)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2015, 11:11:38 pm »
I have heard of people who suddenly stop after doing lots of miles on their bikes can become depressed because the body produces endorphins when you exercise and that keeps you cheerful. I have no medical qualifications whatever so this piece of hearsay might be wrong.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 15 November, 2015, 11:16:02 pm »
I don't think it's the cycling that's making you tired, it's the unemployment, and associated depression.

« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2015, 07:09:18 am »
Set yourself up a charity bike ride. Offa's Dyke or alike.
Publicise in local papers its because you're a keen cyclist and out of work at the moment. Make sure you tell them what your skills are!

Its free advertising on the jobs market, it shows you have determination to get it done, and it shows you are fit and healthy to take on a new job.

The daily rides will be your prep for the charity event, so no duldrums about a daily 50.

Raise loads of money for charity. Raise your profile for potential employers.

« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2015, 07:57:55 am »
I agree with the 'other cause' POV.  Although when touring I have a rest day every so often it just means I leave the panniers behind for the day.  I never feel more tired after constant cycling days, it's other way round.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 16 November, 2015, 01:07:35 pm »
Well I, for one, become increasingly tired with day in day out cycling.  The difference is I don't get slower, just feel more physically drained, especially when I first set off.  I just get used to it.

« Reply #15 on: 16 November, 2015, 01:31:04 pm »
Thinking about it, I did once get more tired after only 4 days cycling.  The Raid Pyrenean.  You have to do over 100 miles a day up s)dding great mountains and every day it pours with rain after lunch at exactly the moment when your cycling shoes have dried after the previous day.  It would have been better if I'd practiced a bit more first.  Both cycling and getting my shoes dry.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2015, 02:03:04 pm »
Thinking about it, I did once get more tired after only 4 days cycling.  The Raid Pyrenean.  You have to do over 100 miles a day up s)dding great mountains and every day it pours with rain after lunch at exactly the moment when your cycling shoes have dried after the previous day.  It would have been better if I'd practiced a bit more first.  Both cycling and getting my shoes dry.

Yes RP is quite tiring, fortunately I had just 2 out of 4 days wet this year, but 5c descent off Pailheres in rain wasn't` fun, just hypothermic

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2015, 03:38:03 pm »
10k miles a year is the right amount of cycling, so you are doing just fine. with a bit of practice you can control how you feel and what mood you are in. normally setting some target and doing consistent action steps towards it makes people feel better, as well as contribution to good causes.

« Reply #18 on: 17 November, 2015, 06:32:41 am »
28 miles per day. That sounds about right.  ::-)
That could be a 20 mile commute every working day and some 100 and 200 Audaxes at weekends, with some 50 mile club rides thrown in on summer evenings just for good measure.

« Reply #19 on: 17 November, 2015, 06:37:18 am »
Become a AUK Organiser !!

Plan some routes and reccee ride them.

X rate events don't have to have village halls hired or marshals signing cards.
Infos and reciepts at petrol stations.

« Reply #20 on: 17 November, 2015, 07:30:26 am »
It's an interesting one and having used exercise myself for similar reasons I understand your dilemma a lot.  I do think the tiredness may just be related to the redundancy mindset, but, equally, the repetition of cycling local roads may not help your boredom/need to 'take your mind of things' unless you have the right perspective for it. 

Here are some suggestions to consider.

Volunteer - it doesn't matter what, or for how long, but volunteer for a day/2 days/more in a week.  I had a time back in my early twenties where I was in a very difficult life situation and I wasn't equipped mentally back then to deal with it.  I got chronic fatigue and was unable to function all that well.  So I volunteered in a charity shop a few afternoons a week.  It was hilarious, rather like the League of Gentlemen, with a mix of lovely and angry old ladies to work with (all of who made me smile in one way or another, either with them or at them!) and the time always passed quickly.  There are a number of options out your way - how about the museum/library/scout movement/church(you don't have to be a believer to help others through the church)/school (my Mum volunteered at my Junior School throughout my childhood and well beyond because my dad would never let her work - it gave her a purpose and the kids all loved her being there, except me haha) etc etc

Ride your MTB instead of the roadie.  Really get up into the hills.  If it's lack of rest that's making you tired this may make it worse though.

Stop immediately paying attention to your speed on the bike.  You mention you are going slower.  Who cares?  Just stop right now even thinking about it.  For the purposes of curing the blues it doesn't matter at all.  You could go out and ride at 10 mph every day as long as it's getting you out and at that speed you really won't be 'doing too much'

Short term foster - children or animals

Have a look into Mindfulness.  There are numerous sources out there.  I would recommend 'Taming the Mind' by Ruby Wax as a starter.

Does not play well with others

« Reply #21 on: 17 November, 2015, 09:37:31 am »
Rabbit makes very sensible points:
The repetition of local roads nearly made me throw my bikes in the skip - find a way to deal with that.
Volunteering was my saviour - I volunteer extensively on the canal network and have met some amazing people, learnt new skills and found out quite a lot about myself. I was sceptical about 'working for free' but a good organisation doesn't use you to displace paid staff.
Mindfulness can be helpful for many people, but it's no easy path.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #22 on: 17 November, 2015, 10:43:19 am »
Plan a day out on your bike to Birmingham.
Then you'll realise life is not so bad after all.

« Reply #23 on: 17 November, 2015, 04:11:40 pm »
Thanks all some very helpful / supportive thoughts / advice  :thumbsup:

Ben T

« Reply #24 on: 17 November, 2015, 07:11:19 pm »
Do you not get bored of the local roads?
If most of your cycling is sub-audax distance and you're not travelling to a distant start you must be repeating routes, no?
And also, if you have no commute and doing loops just for the sake of a ride, then you could be cycling without purpose.
If none of the above is a problem to you, please tell me the answer cos it is for me! ... 90% of my riding is to the gym and back, and the rest is on roads I'm bored of , or is audaxes which are great but that involve travelling to.

I maintain the ideal distance to live from work for cycling purposes is between 5 and 15 miles. Not 3 metres as I do.