Author Topic: Yesterday on the road  (Read 1259 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Yesterday on the road
« on: 17 February, 2014, 06:40:17 pm »
I saw loads of cyclists. Loads and loads. What was odd about this was this was on main roads - ones I have driven often and hardly ever seen cyclists on. Roads, in fact, that I would avoid. The Fosse Way, for example.

There were only two reasons I could think for this - flooding on minor roads, but I couldn't test this hypothesis as I had somewhere to go and couldn't divert. The other was that we are entering a year when there will be a big growth in cycling. Lets hope it is the latter.
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Yesterday on the road
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2014, 06:51:15 pm »
We also saw lots more than a normal Sunday amount.  I think most of them were just glad to get out on the bike, it was the best day for over a fortnight. I guess they were just making the most of the sun.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2014, 07:04:24 pm »
We (CTC ride) all remarked on the remarkable number of cyclists and runners on the remarkably dirty but sunny roads yesterday. These were minor roads though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2014, 07:27:21 pm »
Dulwich Park yesterday was rammed with every conceivable sort of HPV (OK - so London Recumbents have one of their bases there - which would account for the banananananana bikes) but a lot of the bike traffic in there yesterday was wobbly, of all ages, riding quality road bikes, even the kids on Islabikes (Dahlink- this is Dulwich, dontcha know?) all the bikes were pristine - not a chip in the paintwork to be seen.
It's my contention that they (the bikes, and their seemingly novice riders) haven't been out much, if at all, since the day that Santa delivered their steeds.
Just a guess though.

« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2014, 07:33:00 pm »
This^ wouldn't surprise me ...

We wandered down to the river to have a look at the Thames Barrier, and there were pure dead hunners of folk around, on foot, on bikes, on scooters ... we've never seen it so busy. First decent day in weeks was what I reckoned, coupled with wanting to have a gander at what the Barrier looks like when it's closed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2014, 08:56:10 pm »
It's my contention that they (the bikes, and their seemingly novice riders) haven't been out much, if at all, since the day that Santa delivered their steeds.
Just a guess though.

There seemed to be a fair bit of losing the stabilisers going on in Canon Hill Park yesterday too.   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2014, 08:29:25 am »
Wahey!
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2014, 08:47:55 am »
Saw a lovely sight of a dad and very young boy, presumably son, riding side by side on the bike path to Aylesbury. No stabilizers in sight and both were just radiating a we're having fun feeling. Heart warming
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2014, 08:54:28 am »
I couldn't join them (for reasons noted elsewhere) but my father (70 in a fortnight) took my 6 year old out yesterday and the two of them rode the length of the sea wall from Leigh on Sea to Southend Pier, and back. Sounded like they had a great time.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2014, 12:15:43 pm »
Saw a lovely sight of a dad and very young boy, presumably son, riding side by side on the bike path to Aylesbury. No stabilizers in sight and both were just radiating a we're having fun feeling. Heart warming

Going through Denmead a few months ago, a dad and tiny lad - the latter with a big grin - were coming the other way on the shared footpath (or were they on the pavement!?) on my side of the road. He was sooo small and riding without stabilisers. Was about to put my hand out to give the wee lad a high five and then I projected forward the potentially cataclysmic chain of events which could unfold, as hand hits child or child takes hand of bars and crash ensues followed by "what the **** do you think you were doing"!?  :-[

So I just shouted a cheery "Hello" and "Well done!".  ;D

Great to see small people cycling!