Author Topic: tablet, lap top, PC or other?  (Read 2507 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
tablet, lap top, PC or other?
« on: 02 March, 2020, 10:45:33 am »
I need a personal device of some sort for when S takes the PC.

I don't think I'm after the trad set up of tower + screen + keyboard. I'm leaning towards a laptop, with mouse and keyboard.

I'll be looking to do the grocery shopping on it, use emails, general surfing. I'll also use it for work occasionally, so being able to look at the screen in a traditional orientation would be useful. I think you can get frames to stand your laptop up.

And thoughts/recommendations?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Ben T

Re: tablet, lap top, PC or other?
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2020, 11:16:19 am »
Say yesterday my brother's ipad pro with little attached flip-out keyboard and pen - very nice. Think I'd get one if I was in the market for something like that.
The way the pen writes on it is really nice. Think the keyboard is an optional extra but integrates really well.

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2020, 11:31:52 am »
If you have the budget look at an Lenovo Thinkpad T series.
Long lasting and the keyboards are good enough you don't need a external one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2020, 11:46:17 am »
I am not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to computers but my tablet seems limited when I get email attachments and want to create folders to store related things about a topic in one place. You say you will want to do some work; I would be thinking of a laptop more than a tablet.
Can easily do that with Android, just install a file manager. Then can create folders and put your stuff where you want.
Probably trickier on iOS, that tries to hide the file system from you.

Paul

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2020, 11:51:56 am »
Curiously, I'm on a T470 right now: it's my work laptop.

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:35:47 pm »
What is your budget?  Do you need specific software for work?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:49:53 pm »
I am not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to computers but my tablet seems limited when I get email attachments and want to create folders to store related things about a topic in one place. You say you will want to do some work; I would be thinking of a laptop more than a tablet.
Can easily do that with Android, just install a file manager. Then can create folders and put your stuff where you want.
Probably trickier on iOS, that tries to hide the file system from you.

Not any more - there is a Files app now
It is simpler than it looks.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2020, 01:03:36 pm »
I've just moved to using a chromebook for everything now. Much cheaper than 'proper' laptops, they run more efficiently, long battery life etc. I can't see any good reason to go back assuming you're comfortable using Google products.

You can use Office 365 if you're particularly wedded to Windows services.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Paul

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2020, 01:16:16 pm »
What is your budget?  Do you need specific software for work?
Hi chris :thumbsup:

I access work stuff via citrix. There's also something called vpn, whatever that is. Does that mean I need to find something with specific capabilities?

Budget: preferably £500, but maybe up to £700.

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2020, 01:24:08 pm »
If you have a fairy modern television with a decent sized screen why not get a media pc.

I am planning to put one from QuietPC under my television later this year and cease use of my QuietPC desktop.  It will do all you ask and much more if you desire it.

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2020, 01:24:12 pm »
I've just moved to using a chromebook for everything now. Much cheaper than 'proper' laptops, they run more efficiently, long battery life etc. I can't see any good reason to go back assuming you're comfortable using Google products.

You can use Office 365 if you're particularly wedded to Windows services.
Chromebook here too.
I do everything I need / want to on it.
The only quirk is that I've installed a single Linux app to do my budgets (KMyMoney which I've been using for years one way or another)
Android apps are a very mixed bag, but Web-apps from browser tabs are generally excellent.
I got a touch screen Asus as a special deal, and it's useful for zooming on maps, but I'm not sure I'd pay significantly over the odds for a touchscreen Chromebook.

(I'd you are of a mind to be worried about such things then don't forget that Google will own you lock stock and keyboard with a Chromebook)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2020, 01:27:30 pm »
You need a device that runs an operating system that has a Citrix client available for it. Not sure if there is one for Android or IOS but there probably is.

VPN is virtual private network. You run a VPN client on your device and it creates an encrypted tunnel over the Internet or whatever network you are on to a head end at your companies office.
Basically it takes all your data packets encrypts them and then stuffs them inside another packet with a destination of the head end device in your office. The head end device then unwraps the outer encryption layers and drops the original packet onto the company LAN.

VPNs tend to be standards based and there is usually a client for most operating systems. Thast being said it depends really on if you liek fiddling with these things yourself to get them going and your IT department will talk to you about it or if they will only support one VPN client from a particular vendor. You need to find this out before buying a device.

With both Citrix and a VPN you will be fine with Windows 10 but for anything else it comes down to is there a client for it and will my corporate IT department support it even a little bit (ie give me the basic info needed to set it up).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Davef

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2020, 07:51:39 pm »
You need a device that runs an operating system that has a Citrix client available for it. Not sure if there is one for Android or IOS but there probably is.

VPN is virtual private network. You run a VPN client on your device and it creates an encrypted tunnel over the Internet or whatever network you are on to a head end at your companies office.
Basically it takes all your data packets encrypts them and then stuffs them inside another packet with a destination of the head end device in your office. The head end device then unwraps the outer encryption layers and drops the original packet onto the company LAN.

VPNs tend to be standards based and there is usually a client for most operating systems. Thast being said it depends really on if you liek fiddling with these things yourself to get them going and your IT department will talk to you about it or if they will only support one VPN client from a particular vendor. You need to find this out before buying a device.

With both Citrix and a VPN you will be fine with Windows 10 but for anything else it comes down to is there a client for it and will my corporate IT department support it even a little bit (ie give me the basic info needed to set it up).
I am guessing Citrix uses Remote Desktop protocol(RDP) and if so there is an iOS client I use called RD client. It is good, but a bit limited without a real keyboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2020, 07:57:36 pm »
Bluetooth keyboard for iPad if you have a lot of typing to do over a remote connection.

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2020, 08:01:46 pm »
It doesn’t use RDP it uses ICA a proprietary protocol not tied to any one platform.

https://www.extrahop.com/resources/protocols/citrix-ica/

Davef

« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2020, 09:34:34 pm »
It doesn’t use RDP it uses ICA a proprietary protocol not tied to any one platform.

https://www.extrahop.com/resources/protocols/citrix-ica/
Thanks. I bet it will support RDP (and probably X11) if you hit it in the right spot with the right weight of hammer. I just assumed it would as a matter of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2020, 09:38:21 pm »
If you're considering a Chromebook, it's worth researching Google's end of life policy, I'm unclear on the detail but lots of noise a while ago from users who found their Chromebooks weren't being supported after a couple of years.

rr

« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2020, 11:39:30 pm »
Just for the record there is a Citrix app for Android, I can run my work desk top on my phone, more for the lols than doing anything useful.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2020, 11:46:14 pm »
If you're considering a Chromebook, it's worth researching Google's end of life policy, I'm unclear on the detail but lots of noise a while ago from users who found their Chromebooks weren't being supported after a couple of years.
It's not just googles end of life policy but the manufacturers too.

The pain is when the manufacturer doesn't update the base os and then Google eols the version you're stuck on.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: 04 March, 2020, 12:01:13 pm »
I don't know why you wouldn't get a laptop, with a budget of £500.

My home laptop is pretty basic, and cost me less than £300. Does everything I need it to - and is 'better' than the work one [which is what you should be using if work want you to work somewhere else].

Better= lighter, SSD, more storage, more RAM.
Need= browsing, spreadsheets, the occasional zwift.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #20 on: 05 March, 2020, 08:38:36 pm »
If you are doing any decent amount of work, you can't beat a properly set up workplace with proper keyboard and monitor. By all means use a laptop, but I'd suggest also getting a USBC docking station allowing you to connect it up like a desktop with just one cable.

Citrix is available on IOS (I have a work Ipad for occasional virtual client use). No idea about android - but I'd assume so.

rr

« Reply #21 on: 05 March, 2020, 10:37:58 pm »
Citrix is available for both android and Chromebooks.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Paul

« Reply #22 on: 05 March, 2020, 11:11:39 pm »
Curiously, I'm on a T470 right now: it's my work laptop.
I’ve gone with a Lenovo. I’ve always been an ‘if-it-ain’t-broke’ sort.

Thanks everyone for your advice and info.