Author Topic: Can there be interference between a dynohub and a wired bike computer?  (Read 941 times)

I am building (or bodging) a tourer with a dynohub (probably uniquely for the front light). This bike will have a wired computer running off the front wheel. The lighting wire from the hub runs up the right fork leg before finishing with a light on the lhs (fork, rack or bars - not yet decided as it depends  on finding a way of mounting the front rack).  The computer wire will end up on the stem behind the bars. Somewhere the two sets of wires  will be close, if not touching.The other option of running the computer from the rear wheel won't work on this bike, not possible to fit the computer to the top tube.

So is interference likely with the two cables being in close contact? Has anyone trodden this path in the past? All advice positive and negative greatly appreciated.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Can there be interference between a dynohub and a wired bike computer?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2021, 08:57:52 pm »
I wouldn't expect there to be a problem, unless the computer is very badly designed or has a dodgy contact or something.  I've got a couple of bikes where the computer and dynamo wiring run alongside each other for maybe a metre or so; no issues.

Wireless computers, OTOH, you only have to look at them wrongly to lose the signal.

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2021, 10:52:41 pm »
I have run wired computer with several dyno hubs and wiring looms on multiple bikes.  Never had a problem

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2021, 11:12:32 am »
Thirded. I used to have dyno wire and compu wire running up the same fork leg, as well as cadence wire cable tied to rear light wire under the downtube; no interference.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2021, 12:37:30 pm »
Thanks everyone for that response. Solves that one nicely, now I just have to fit the front rack assembly :D

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:51:44 pm »
I know my old Solid lights did not play nicely with my old yellow Garmin eTrex, or a wireless bike computer. But the actual hub seemed fine.

« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2021, 10:33:38 pm »
Yes, the light is the potential source of interference. Nowadays there are Roolz requiring all new products to be be tested for emc (electromagnetic compatability) to hopefully ensure they don't radiate or fail when irradiated.