Author Topic: Lockdown - has it made driving slower and drivers more courteous?  (Read 42228 times)

Re: Lockdown - has it made driving slower and drivers more courteous?
« Reply #425 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:00:00 pm »
Rather sorry I started this thread...  I meant well.
Hardly something that you can be held responsible for, John.

« Reply #426 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:02:35 pm »

We are all guilty.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #427 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:04:22 pm »

It got hijacked by somebody whose well-intentioned and impassioned beliefs got the better of him. He's away for a bit by the look of things and will have time to consider whether his intervention was effective, and perhaps extrapolate that to his wider objectives.

Meanwhile, back to the OP. Are we still in lockdown or are we all just using our British common sense to decide how much it is possible to stay at home?  Judging by the roads here, I'd say the latter.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #428 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:12:39 pm »
There are a lot of cars, considering most shops are still closed and only a few people can go to work safely...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #429 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:16:03 pm »
But you can go and visit people as long as you don't go into their home and you keep to the social distancing rules.

My wife's sister drove over today to have a socially distanced natter in the garden. She can't use public transport to do that.

The Government also suggested that people could "go out for a drive" in order to get out of the house.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #430 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:41:44 pm »
I think a lot of people who last week might have walked to the shops are now driving and in addition, some people are back at work.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #431 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:42:09 pm »
Are you threatening me with your turnip?

Whatever wanky hipster chinny-beard infested fuckhole you inhabit you will never, NEVER be able to boast a local paper with headlines like this today:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #432 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:44:02 pm »

Indeed...

« Reply #433 on: 15 May, 2020, 04:49:55 pm »

The Government also suggested that people could "go out for a drive" in order to get out of the house.

Unfortunately not for those still enduring their 12 week home isolation. :'(

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #434 on: 15 May, 2020, 05:28:34 pm »

I apologise for my participation in its derailment. I’ll back off for a while myself. After thinking about it for a little while, I’m quite upset by how things developed, and not proud of how I reacted.

« Reply #435 on: 15 May, 2020, 05:39:57 pm »
Are you threatening me with your turnip?

Whatever wanky hipster chinny-beard infested fuckhole you inhabit you will never, NEVER be able to boast a local paper with headlines like this today:

That's produced the biggest smile of the day here.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #436 on: 15 May, 2020, 05:47:57 pm »
Addressing the 'slower and more courteous' question, I've just been shopping and the traffic in some roads is up to I'd say 90% of pre-covid levels, whereas on side streets and, curiously, the main A38, it's still maybe half of those levels. I'd say it seems less courteous now than when there was very little traffic in the first few weeks of lockdown. Certainly less willing to wait behind a cyclist or let people cross the road other than at an official crossing. Speeds about the same though.

Today I witnessed the first instance of (motorised) red light jumping I've seen since the lockdown began.  Between that and the resumption of routine close passes at the start of the week, impatience levels seem to be on the rise.

« Reply #437 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:32:01 pm »
Of, at least partial relevance, whilst on my torture machine in the garage today I saw 5 home delivery vans within 2 minutes. There are only 16 houses in the close. The numbers every day are much greater than usual.
It seems that people are really into the on-line shopping. Once they are confident doing this, will they carry on I wonder?
Certainly, it will mean that they use their cars less. More vans, but they’re a friendly lot in general and give me a wave if I’m out on the bike.
The bad news is that it might be the final nail in the High Street coffin. Then they’ll be less cars in town, so some people will be very happy perhaps?

« Reply #438 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:32:18 pm »
Addressing the 'slower and more courteous' question, I've just been shopping and the traffic in some roads is up to I'd say 90% of pre-covid levels, whereas on side streets and, curiously, the main A38, it's still maybe half of those levels. I'd say it seems less courteous now than when there was very little traffic in the first few weeks of lockdown. Certainly less willing to wait behind a cyclist or let people cross the road other than at an official crossing. Speeds about the same though.

Today I witnessed the first instance of (motorised) red light jumping I've seen since the lockdown began.  Between that and the resumption of routine close passes at the start of the week, impatience levels seem to be on the rise.
A while back I nearly got run off the road by a van. Only happened because I'd sat waiting at a red light... I'm consequently reevaluating my approach to lights  :o

Caught up with him at the very next light... if it hadn't changed, I think I'd probably have a spare wing mirror in my possession. As it was, the light changed at a perfect time to return the favour of a pointless overtake, only mine didn't put him in danger.  8)

« Reply #439 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:34:35 pm »

A while back I nearly got run off the road by a van. Only happened because I'd sat waiting at a red light... I'm consequently reevaluating my approach to lights  :o

Caught up with him at the very next light... if it hadn't changed, I think I'd probably have a spare wing mirror in my possession. As it was, the light changed at a perfect time to return the favour of a pointless overtake, only mine didn't put him in danger.  8)
Style. :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #440 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:37:16 pm »

It does say to me that the major factor in drivers getting impatient with cyclists is not cyclists but volume of motor traffic. Most people are willing to sit behind a cyclist for a minute if they're confident they'll get a chance of an easy and 'complete' overtake (during that first idyllic phase of lockdown, everyone seemed to go right over the white line) very soon. Add in more oncoming traffic to make that harder and the (perceived at least) pressure of holding up others behind, and patience evaporates.

Though you've also got to allow for the 'sun's shining and everyone's on holiday' factor.

ian

« Reply #441 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:43:59 pm »
Say what you want about this thread, no one has protested my plan to napalm the Cotswolds.

So, as we're agreed, does anyone know a pilot?

« Reply #442 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:49:37 pm »

The one obvious pilot here lives in the Cotswolds. He might not be up for it.

(I'd miss the visit to Stow-in-the-Wold on The Dean and LWL Audaxes but I could live with[out] it.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #443 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:03:11 pm »
We might find Flatus lives in the Cotswolds. Don't let that influence your decision in any way.

« Reply #444 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:03:21 pm »
Fine with me. Just leave the south-western tip alone where all the nice people live. 

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #445 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:10:48 pm »

The one obvious pilot here lives in the Cotswolds. He might not be up for it.

(I'd miss the visit to Stow-in-the-Wold on The Dean and LWL Audaxes but I could live with[out] it.)

I assume you're referring to me. I live in Suffolk. There was a time I lived over there (Lyneham, Chippenham and Devizes - not really Cotswolds). So feel free to have at it.

ian

« Reply #446 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:11:57 pm »
I live near Biggin Hill. Pick me up at 0800 hours (actually make it 1300, I'm not an early riser). I'll bring the napalm.

« Reply #447 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:15:53 pm »
I live near Biggin Hill. Pick me up at 0800 hours (actually make it 1300, I'm not an early riser). I'll bring the napalm.

Tis ok I won't be here, I'll be busy bulldozing London into the sea.

Will probably take a while might need to borrow one of these,

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #448 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:17:34 pm »
I assume you're referring to me. I live in Suffolk. There was a time I lived over there (Lyneham, Chippenham and Devizes - not really Cotswolds). So feel free to have at it.

Excellent. No idea why I had you down there.

Bombs away!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #449 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:19:57 pm »

Tis ok I won't be here, I'll be busy bulldozing London into the sea.

Will probably take a while might need to borrow one of these,

D.

Can you bulldoze all the cars while you're at it?