Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517831 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I'm not a chip person but eat lots of sweet potatoes.

Sweet potatoes have rather less 'structure' than white potatoes and turn pulpy when heated for any time. Strikes me sweet potato chips need a strong coating to hold them together and would need to get dried out to be halfway crispy.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Hence adding the cornflour to coat them...or maybe I need more cornflour to coat the sweet potato and no dash of oil.

Sweet potatoes have rather less 'structure' than white potatoes and turn pulpy when heated for any time. Strikes me sweet potato chips need a strong coating to hold them together and would need to get dried out to be halfway crispy.

We bake sweet potato wedges with a coating - smoked paprika, oregano -  and in that way they’re no different to potato wedges, that also never get crisp - they’re just like baked potatoes. But then again I’ve not had a crisp chip in decades, not since “The Wavecrest” in Southsea in my student days, where they used floury potatoes and double fried them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Cooked in a fan oven at 180.

Try a higher temperature? Instinctively, that sounds a tad low to me, but I’m just guessing really.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

I’ve not had a crisp chip in decades

:o

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I’ve not had a crisp chip in decades
:o
Suspect my last crisp chip would have been someone else's in a Wetherspoon's >5 years ago.

Had soft chips from local chippie early in lockdown. (D craved fission chips)

I'm not really a chips person.

ian

Cooked in a fan oven at 180.

Try a higher temperature? Instinctively, that sounds a tad low to me, but I’m just guessing really.

Parboil, dry, and then cook in the fan oven at somewhere around 220 degrees is my usual plan (like roasties, you need a hot tray and hot oil to toss them in). That said, I'm not a sweet potato fan, I'm keeping it real. That said, I mostly get ready-made oven frites to go with my burgers because I'm lazy (I do make the actual burgers, and sometimes the buns from scratch though).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Today: ginger/garlic/honey prawns with MrsT's Chinese noodles. Took the dogs out afterwards and when we came in again the garlic met us at the door.

Did this again for lunch today. Much the same effect, except that the outdoor temperature is around 15° lower than in September so the windows stayed shut and the garlic niff is in the megaton range. Well, I like it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Ground cardamon. It's like hen's teeth here. Failed to get it from the local Tesco or Sainsbo's.
Walking past the local chinese supermarket I thought I was on to a winner, but no. Green or black pods, sure. But no powder in amongst all the other interesting ground stuffs.
Looks like I'll have to pay thru the nose to get some delivered.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Why not buy the pods and grind them yourself, or just split the pods open and use the seeds whole for a little flavour explosion?
Pods keep fresh for years, unlike ground spices.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Well here's the thing. I'm using them in cinnamon rolls. And the recipe says to grind your own for the dough, but then says to use ground stuff for the filling...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Lunch tomorrow: choice between saltimbocca (before the veal turns green) and BFO prawns with tagliatelle in a cream sauce. Quandary.

citoyen

I've eschewed my normal desk for the kitchen table today, from where I can see over the garden fence into the derelict patch of land next door. And I've just noticed that the large blackthorn bush(es) I can see just beyond the fence is HEAVY with fruit right now. Must get out and do some picking this weekend...

Sloe gin, anyone?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Did my slow gin over a month ago, ripened very early here, loads of fruit on the bushes if smaller in size than previous.  Now stripped by the birds.

I received a box in the post this lunchtime, quite substantial. An advent calendar, of whisky  ;D.  No idea what specific distilleries are there as it only says 14 different whiskies from around the world. The thing that caught my eye though was the label on the back stating an average ABV of near 50%, so some are going to be pretty hefty.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

Did my slow gin over a month ago, ripened very early here, loads of fruit on the bushes if smaller in size than previous.  Now stripped by the birds.

I was thinking they seemed late round here this year. And yes, small too. But still absolutely loads of them all over the place.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
A couple of days ago I found some old microwave popcorn at the back of the cupboard. It must have been left over from some kiddy party, making it at least five years old. But it was all in sealed packets, what could possibly go off?

Rancid fat, that's what. Stale, rancid fat that probably originally took the form of industrial grease masquerading as margarine. Burnt, stale, rancid fat, cos I left it in the microwave slightly too long. The whole house stank of it. Had to open all the windows. We tried it. It was foul.

Then I threw it all away and after that, I decided to check the date on the packet. Best before January 2012.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

That'll be the oil they added. If you'd made your own out-of-date popcorn it would have just tasted stale.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The popcorn was Monday evening. Today my son pointed out the microwave still stinks of burnt rancid oil. He's right. Well, it needed a clean anyway. Still stinks after that though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tonight we had fish with sweet potato chips. Cut 6mm square, tossed in cornflour, salt and olive oil. Baked at 220 for 20 minutes. Very nice.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Tonight we had fish with sweet potato chips. Cut 6mm square, tossed in cornflour, salt and olive oil. Baked at 220 for 20 minutes. Very nice.

Sounds good!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I searched the Sainsbury's website for 'haggis'.
Had dozens of suggestions for 'Huggies' nappies but no food...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I searched the Sainsbury's website for 'haggis'.
Had dozens of suggestions for 'Huggies' nappies but no food...

South of the border there probably wouldn't be much difference.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I posted I'd prematurely ordered a Sainsbury's frozen Three Bird Roast up thread (in a spoiler to maintain some early Festive decorum).

It's been unavailable for Christmas 2018, Christmas 2019 and three four successive weeks in November this year.

We will eat another bird.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
What's the point of 'corner' yoghurts? If I wanted to mix my own yoghurt, I'd buy the constituent parts but, honestly, who does? No-one with any other commitments. Time was when the yoghurt producers would mix the ingredients for you. You still had to separate the pots and remove the foil, which is irksome, but a fair price to pay for some longevity. But what's with the diy mixing?

And I know there are others who put the jam at the bottom. I appreciate that both of these approaches help me to believe that there is some actual fruit in my yoghurt, if only because I've had to add it my bloody self! But really, I already believe (or don't care if I'm being lied to about) millions of other things: vitamins, proteins, salt, sugar, Madagascan vanilla, Cornish clotted cream, Kenyan tea - there's no way I'm going to authenticate these things in other products, so what makes the producers of yoghurts so sensitive to consumer-skepticism that they invite us to take part in the manufacture of the final product?

Was there a scandal I missed? Did Ski somehow game the system, using sand which mimicked gooseberries when under test conditions? I don't think so.

I get it when it comes to the chocolate-covered digestive balls and corn flakes - they probably should be kept separate. Although:

1. that's an odd mix and always reminds me of Milo Minderbender proposing to cover his massively over-bought cotton stocks in chocolate in a desperate attempt to recoup some of his losses and;
2. I seem to think that the fruit corner came first, so the anti-soggying thing isn't the explanation for the initial design.

And why on earth did Muller decide that a triangle was the optimum shape for stirring? It so isn't. It's really hard to ensure an even spread of fruit to yoghurt when you can't actually stir. It's more like folding. And the spoon has to be the right shape to get into the corners. Most of my teaspoons are rounded. Plus it means that I have to use my fingers like an animal to get the last bits out.

AN ANIMAL.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?