Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517746 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
What would make a pickled cucumber Kosher?

I would say that they have to be produced only by people who observe the sabbath. I wasn't aware of this requirement until recently when I watched a program on the food of Israel whereby the owner of a winery couldn't handle the wine if he wanted to keep the kosher designation as he didn't observe shabbat.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

One end has been peeled?

Coat please.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Absence of anything that would make it not kosher.

If these were Passover cucumbers, that would include grain-derived vinegar and dextrose, for example.

Passover products are very carefully produced and supervised.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
I worked in a factory where we made toothpaste, and we did a special production run for kosher product. A rabbi attended to monitor that all was done correctly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I worked in a factory where we made toothpaste, and we did a special production run for kosher product. A rabbi attended to monitor that all was done correctly.

Unsurprisingly, this extra scrutiny and certification entails additional expenditure so just about ALL products certified Kosher for Passover are very pricy.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Who knew it? I make kosher pickled cucumbers, organic cucumbers and chillies, organic white wine and cider vinegars, plus other herbs and spices.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3781 on: 02 January, 2021, 02:07:54 pm »
Who knew it? I make kosher pickled cucumbers, organic cucumbers and chillies, organic white wine and cider vinegars, plus other herbs and spices.

I bet your kitchen isn’t kosher.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
One of the things I love about my disability adviser for a university job, is the random interestingness. Several years ago I looked up how Kosher kitchens worked cos we needed to ensure that a disabled Jewish student in halls was provided with suitable access/adaptations in the flat.

While the university had designated Kosher flats in halls, I learned from some Googling that "to make something Kosher" was a process that could be done by special cleaning, presumably supervised by a Rabbi and then certified as Kosher. Super useful as a backup plan if the existing Kosher flats or equipment weren't appropriate - it was possible to "Kosherify" new stuff relatively easily with some notice. The halls had a connection with local Jewish communities and Rabbis and the housing people confirmed this was all very easy to do.

I didn't have to research this, but to me that seems like a basic type of respect, do some homework, make an effort to be decent to people.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

What if I make them in the garden?  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!

And unsupervised wine & derivatives aren't kosher (any time of the year) either...

Kosher is complicated. That's why it's pricy.

Kosher Dijon mustard? Uh-oh! Non-kosher wine vinegar...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jan/06/albert-roux-obituary

I think his places were a little out of my comfort/price zone, but it's nice to read about lovely food.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

It's one of my life regrets that I never got to eat at the Gavroche during his time. My parents did, a couple of times, the sods. I do like 'modern' food but classic French cooking in the right hands is still the best.

One of our family traditions for Christmas morning is to have Albert Roux's quail's egg and smoked salmon tartlets with a glass of fizz. They're really my mum's speciality but since we didn't spend Christmas en famille this year, we all had to make our own and share the pictures on the family WhatsApp group.

This was my effort (pastry cases are bit too big, they really should be bite-size, but I didn't have tins small enough, plus they should be a bit more generously covered in the sauce but I didn't make enough):

Kosher is complicated.

While we're at it, wine is different. Very different.

There's inherently nothing non-kosher about wine, any more than any soft drink. But. If the open bottle is in the possession of  a non-jew there was a fear that some of the wine would be poured from the bottle to appease/honour an idol (or, later, to use in the sacrament). That would clearly pollute the whole bottle, it is termed "Yayin nesech" (lit: poured wine).

What about an open bottle of wine that MIGHT JUST have been used - or thought about being used by one of these HEATHENS? (coz thinking about it is obv just as bad) The Rabbis thought about this and decided that it should be treated as if it were "Yayin nesech". Forbidden.

Just in case you missed the implication, a "kosher" bottle of wine becomes non-kosher if it is open and handled by a non-jew, some would say, if it is alone in the same room as a non jew, a unique category.

That's perfectly clear then. Only, not everyone is necessarily an idolator  or a Catholic. So, why does this apply so universally? There, we have two explanations. The first is simple. You Can't Be Too Careful, they might be secret idolators. The second is more curious. The rabbis recognised that drinking with people would lead to stuff, and hence intermarriage, so said "stuff it, no way are you allowed drink with non jews"

ian

So I wander into a supermarket and give a jar of pickled cucumbers an idolatry fumble while no one is around have I dekosherified it?

Ooo, powers.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
So I wander into a supermarket and give a jar of pickled cucumbers an idolatry fumble while no one is around have I dekosherified it?

Ooo, powers.

If you OPENED the jar of cucumbers, I'd reject it for reasons other than Kosher.
Pickles/vinegar aren't wine and are treated differently within The Rules.
SEALED Kosher wares remain kosher until the seal is broken.

ian

I'm going to stop doing it then. The fumbling, not the idolatry.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
This was my effort (pastry cases are bit too big, they really should be bite-size, but I didn't have tins small enough, plus they should be a bit more generously covered in the sauce but I didn't make enough):

I’ve never had quails eggs. These look very tasty.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

citoyen

I’ve never had quails eggs. These look very tasty.

They’re just like small hen’s eggs, with a very slightly stronger flavour. The easy bit is boiling them just long enough so the yolk is still runny - they don’t take long at all so you just have to time them carefully. The hard part is peeling them - you always have to cook extra to account for the inevitable breakages.

The tarts are worth the effort though!

Unsurprisingly, this extra scrutiny and certification entails additional expenditure so just about ALL products certified Kosher for Passover are very pricy.
We used to call it the Rabbi Tax. Mostly it involves every producer at every stage in the production paying for a Rabbi to check their paperwork. We used to make Kosher Ethyl Butyrate.

In the same way that your organically grown vegetables aren't Organic because you're not certified by the Soil Association, your pickles aren't Kosher.

citoyen

In the same way that your organically grown vegetables aren't Organic because you're not certified by the Soil Association, your pickles aren't Kosher.

I was pondering this myself - and came to the conclusion that surely the requirement for certification must only apply if you're selling the produce, otherwise every Jewish household would need a pet rabbi to scrutinise every meal.

Maybe they do. I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
It's one of my life regrets that I never got to eat at the Gavroche during his time. My parents did, a couple of times, the sods. I do like 'modern' food but classic French cooking in the right hands is still the best.

One of our family traditions for Christmas morning is to have Albert Roux's quail's egg and smoked salmon tartlets with a glass of fizz. They're really my mum's speciality but since we didn't spend Christmas en famille this year, we all had to make our own and share the pictures on the family WhatsApp group.

They look amazing.

Recipe?
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Certification is needed for manufactured foodstuffs.
Fresh vegetable produce is generally regarded as OK BUT must be carefully inspected for extraneous wildlife so:
Plums and dates must be cut open and inspected.
Lettuce must be washed and every leaf inspected by a Jewish adult (girl>12 or boy >13) to ensure buglessness.
Broccoli and cauliflower must be soaked in saltwater, then inspected.
Raspberries must each be inspected.
etc, etc.

Some folk inspect every grain of rice before cooking
and so it goes on.

Some folk only drink milk that has come from a rabbinically certified dairy source, lest otherwise it could be adulterated with (for example) non-kosher equine milk. (Sheep & goat milk would be kosher; pig and buffalo not)

Cheese needs special supervision and rennet is a separate problem.

Eggs need to be checked for blood spots and embryos...

ian

It's all a bit mad. It must have taken God ages to write it all down.

citoyen

Recipe?

It's a pretty basic cocktail sauce - mayonnaise with a little ketchup mixed in and a dash of brandy. Use a little of it to bind the salmon, then spoon the rest over the top. You want the quails' eggs soft-boiled so the yolk oozes out when you bite into them. The cases are puff pastry, but baked weighted down to stop them rising.

You can tell this recipe is well used (iirc it's from At Home With The Roux Brothers):

This is what they're supposed to look like:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It's all a bit mad. It must have taken God ages to write it all down.

Much is derivative from multiple sources.

The Rabbis & friends have a handy website

https://isitkosher.uk 

Ask about some thing seemingly benign like chutney and you see how much is Against The Rules...

https://isitkosher.uk/#chutney