Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815672 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24100 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:00:27 pm »
Just over 40km with 800m after work. It was cold towards the end, -1 according to the Garmin. Should've brought the big gloves.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24101 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:03:30 pm »
A bit over a mile, on the trike to pick up some food cooked by others, which is a treat.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24102 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:11:52 pm »
My usual Friday afternoon 20 miler. Cold - average of 1 according to the Garmin - with fog and a light northerly breeze. 15 minutes of cold face, 20 of cold fingers and from the hour mark cold toes. Hey ho.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24103 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:28:42 am »
looking out at the foggy, damp Fens this morning, and greasy road surfaces, with a surefire need to clean the bike afterwards, I have a severe case of CBA and will go on the turbo instead.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #24104 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:09:34 pm »
Felt like the first proper winter ride today - grey all day, a couple of hours of cold rain, and the temperature hovering just above freezing. Grotty, gritty stuff, but I had a good loop of a few favourite tracks around Teesdale, and back through Barnie and Whorlton.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24105 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:15:32 pm »
Froze my fingers off filming this.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24106 on: 29 November, 2020, 07:43:53 pm »
About 16 or 17 miles round most of one of my regular loops - in shorts . . . relatively warm although I need to find the thicker gloves for the ride tomorrow.  Just damp, dull and dreary with no wind to move the weather along.  Lots of riders around, one other in shorts.

Interesting that last week I was on the bright red carbon machine and got lots of cheery waves and "Good mornings" from other riders - today on the paintless Ti road bike with raceblades and I got a grunt if I was lucky . .... ?

« Reply #24107 on: 29 November, 2020, 08:08:28 pm »
A 37 mile loop down through Esher, Cobham, Effingham and up Critten Lane to Ranmore. Home via Leatherhead and Epsom.

No sun, no wind, mild, no motorised morons, not one. Lovely.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24108 on: 29 November, 2020, 08:10:53 pm »
Well *I* was cold, in spite of the lack of wind.  It's that kind of humid where you freeze in your own sweat.

« Reply #24109 on: 01 December, 2020, 09:10:05 pm »
65km just into teh Chilterns via Sywncombe and down Nuffield hill.  Great to see some sun - going to be in short supply over the next two wks.

PXL_20201201_111532678.PANO by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24110 on: 04 December, 2020, 10:59:32 am »
25k in scrotum-shrivelling damp icy-cold windy misery, got home feeling as if I'd done a time trial up the Ventoux. Bleh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24111 on: 10 December, 2020, 07:27:06 pm »
Yes. Due to one thing and another. But mainly one thing I haven't ridden enough the last few months. However my git of a friend who works shifts and doesn't have kids has been rude enough to get better then me at cycling since I got him into it. Aided by the loan of my turbo trainer while he isolated due to contact with a CV case.

He was desperate to ride 100km this year. I was desperate for it to rain/snow/go back into lock down so I could get out of it but it didn't

An early ish start to give me plenty of time as we set out to u unofficially do one of the Acme anvil winter series. First 50 or so km were alright with me regularly reminding him it's an audax not a race. Started to flag around this point and dived into shop/post office in Great/little Leighs near the ancient pub. Some warm food later we set off again and my legs resolved not to work properly. Very very nearly bailed when maybe 5 km from home and 30km left of route but turned left and away again. Totally into stubbornness now but dragged myself round cursing the fact I couldn't get my bike into the little ring but eventually got to the top of Wickham Bishop Hill and had a nice run down to home

Finished cold and achy but just over 100km in the bag which pushed my recorded milage over the 1000 miles for the year. Genuinely glad I did go out in the end and rewarded myself with a BIG mug of tea and a bath to defrost

robgul

« Reply #24112 on: 10 December, 2020, 07:36:36 pm »
Out today for the first time in 7 days - only about 15 miles as I had to be back by a specific time - absolutely still conditons, cool but not cold enough to forego the shorts for the first time this winter - looks like shorts will be OK for the planned rides tomorrow and on Sunday.

« Reply #24113 on: 12 December, 2020, 09:58:40 am »
Yesterday afternoon, for yet another damp roads ride, courtesy of an unforecast morning downpour, albeit a quite warm ride compared to recently. Really noticed how much lower my heartbeat was at 10C compared to around freezing, maybe 10bpm less. Traffic was noticeably heavier than usual for 2:30 on a Friday, I guess as we’re getting closer to Christmas. Fortunately I have Monday and Tuesday off, and weather looks reasonable, which also means I’ll not have to do a shed turbo session next week  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24114 on: 12 December, 2020, 04:16:07 pm »
Got out for a couple hours around the lanes. And very nice it was too but the amount of wet and grot on the road meant I probably shouldn't have used the 'nice' bike.

I only just started to get cold as I arrived home so, for once, I was wearing the right clothing.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

robgul

« Reply #24115 on: 12 December, 2020, 08:14:43 pm »
Out for a couple of hours in mixed overcast/the odd sunny patch but warm enought for shorts - found a new coffee stop  :thumbsup:  - lady that has a farm also roasts coffee* as a business .... to diversify she's set up a takeaway in a converted Rice horse trailer - proper coffee machine, cakes, sausage baps - excellent - and by chance I met a couple of friends who had also discovered it for the first time.   I shall be back to order some coffee to take home for our machine.

AND a bonus - in one of the lanes nearby there's a sign "no litter" .... and guess what there was a double bed and two single beds, with matresses, in the hedge.  Other than the rather tacky headboards all the rest of the bedframes was "proper wood" and very usable.   So back home, shower, lunch and back in the car to pick up the wood that I could re-use ... probably about £60 value if I went out and bought it.  Result - hopefully either the farmer or the council will deal with the mattresses and chipboard stuff.

Most of the stuff I make uses old pallets, this wood will make a change.

* Camraman - I know you like coffee, this is worth a go - it's not Monsoon but is a Mexican bean - the place is open 1000-1500 Sat & Sun at Lower Meon on the lane from Lower Quinton towards Hidcote & Mickleton

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #24116 on: 13 December, 2020, 08:47:52 am »
Yesterday I did my Bricks and Moretaine 200km permanent. More drizzly stuff than forecast, as more than one rider remarked! Stopped at the excellent 'Spokes' cafe and bike shop, on a farm near Codicote for my first control, otherwise Co-op sandwiches, garages and ATMs for proof of passage. I happened to pass Lightning Phil going the other way, on a 200 DIY and stopped for a brief chat. That was just after Whitwell on the long climb over to Hexton in yet another shower - very murky and grim over the Chilterns. Gratifying that passing riders asked if we were ok! Yes, just questioning our sanity ...  When the sun finally came out, at sunset, there was an faint rainbow in red, orange and yellow only - never seen that before. Not too cold, though the thermal gilet and crab claw gloves went on at nightfall, after yet another soaking near Newport.

Seasonal highlights: yarn-bombed tree on the little green at Pulloxhill and a santa scarecrow collection somewhere on the first leg, Dane End I think. And every postbox at home in Dunmow has also been yarn-bombed with a Christmas themed 'hat'. And also of course, lots of Christmas lights after dark. Somewhere I saw a solo lady runner, in full elf costume, with the big ears and red cheeks and everthing. I don't think I've ever hallucinated on a 200 ...

« Reply #24117 on: 13 December, 2020, 09:24:41 am »
Good to unexpectedly see you yesterday Tomsk. It was indeed somewhat wetter than forecast. At least it stopped before it came to sunset. I was descending the hill when I called out the usual passing greeting when suddenly realised it was Tomsk. So brakes on and we stopped for a chat.  It was actually the hill up to Lilley, the last war memorial location I’d been, then you descend (after Lilley) to Hexton going Tomsk’s way.  Once Tomsk and I agreed we’d both cooled enough, we were off on our separate ways.

I was out on an audax 200 DIY visiting war memorials in Hertfordshire.  Whitwell was the next one on my list when I met Tomsk, then Peters Green etc. I’d identified the locations of 45 war memorials but when working out a route between them had to restrict myself to 35. Unless I wanted to be significantly over distance. Route took me as far east as Ashwell and as far west as Berkhampstead and as far south as St Albans. Traversed a few towns to collect war memorials, Baldock, Letchworth, Hitchin, Harpenden, Berkhampstead, Hemel Hempstead, St Albans, Hatfield, Hertford.   Towns were slow going with Christmas traffic, but drivers well behaved, so all good. Had some comedy off road in the Chilterns. A steep and muddy hill to climb. At the least the downhill was rideable if a little gingerly. 

Discovered Inns of Court Officers Training Corps Memorial  a First World War memorial above Berkhamsted marks a training site and that 600m of trenches still exist there. Thanks to a local “expert” I talked to, at the memorial. A visit to look at the trenches will be on my list on a future trip.

Saw some pretty amazing Christmas light displays on my DIY as well. Will have to see if any of my photos have come out.

Took me longer than recent 200s as I stopped at each memorial to take photos and read the inscriptions.  I didn’t actually include the war memorial in my own town. But then I can visit that one any time. But all good and back well within audax time limits.

« Reply #24118 on: 13 December, 2020, 09:44:54 am »
Compared to some I did a lightweight 36 miles  circular route taking in Preston, Codicote , Datchworth Gt Munden and Weston. Saw few other cyclists.  What amazed me was the amount of standing water. I did choose particularly minor roads for the sake of quietness. I'm currently using Clement Explorer tyres in 40 mm size. They're ideal for poor roads, blooming hard work though. Actually,that can go in my bumper fun book of excuses for lack of fitness.

« Reply #24119 on: 13 December, 2020, 10:02:49 am »
Compared to some I did a lightweight 36 miles  circular route taking in Preston, Codicote , Datchworth Gt Munden and Weston. Saw few other cyclists.  What amazed me was the amount of standing water. I did choose particularly minor roads for the sake of quietness. I'm currently using Clement Explorer tyres in 40 mm size. They're ideal for poor roads, blooming hard work though. Actually,that can go in my bumper fun book of excuses for lack of fitness.

Get yourself down to Bramfield if you want to see an amazing Christmas light display

« Reply #24120 on: 13 December, 2020, 11:59:19 am »
Will do Lightening. I live 5 minutes walk away from Willian where there are some spectacular lights. The Chap raises money for East Anglian Air Ambulance.

« Reply #24121 on: 13 December, 2020, 12:01:01 pm »
Might take a cheeky ride to Bramfield  later. Test out waterproofs. And my resolve

« Reply #24122 on: 13 December, 2020, 02:14:55 pm »
Might take a cheeky ride to Bramfield  later. Test out waterproofs. And my resolve

Thumbs up. There is a good Honey bear Christmas light display at Bulls Green as well.

« Reply #24123 on: 14 December, 2020, 01:29:50 pm »
Just 21k hilly & windy. Bloody cold.
(Ok, a bit of a Leicestershire lump, and a stiff breeze. A bit chilly.)
The purpose of the ride was to work off some domestic strife.
Still, it's further than I've ridden in one go since the end of August, proving to myself that (a) I'm not as fit as I think I am, & (b) even if my head says I'm 35, my body actually is 65.
First time in a while I've had trouble getting my leg over the crossbar at the end of a ride..... :facepalm:
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24124 on: 14 December, 2020, 02:40:25 pm »
Keep 'er lit, Mike.

I did a patisserie ride yesterday over the lumps, 48k all told.  Considering that I've been doing 20k rides three or four times a week during our 1k1hr period I was surprised to come home knackered. Stiff wind, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight