Author Topic: learning to ride a motorbike  (Read 8530 times)

inc

Re: learning to ride a motorbike
« Reply #25 on: 18 November, 2008, 08:58:59 pm »
Go for the full test  but I wouldn't recommend getting too  bigger bike until you gain some further experience, it is very easy to get into difficult situations with too much power. Passing the test is just the begining. I live on the Powys border, the highest motorcycle fatality area of the UK.

Becky

« Reply #26 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:04:08 pm »
Mind you, having 450 pounds of 750 Africa Twin coming through their driver's window could have helped focus their minds as well.

It does, doesn't it?  :) (RD07a)

Although I did my DAS and test on a 98hp Yamaha FZ, I'm finding that 50-60hp is plenty if the bike is geared right and with no pillion.

LEE

« Reply #27 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:42:15 pm »
Mind you, having 450 pounds of 750 Africa Twin coming through their driver's window could have helped focus their minds as well.

It does, doesn't it?  :) (RD07a)

Although I did my DAS and test on a 98hp Yamaha FZ, I'm finding that 50-60hp is plenty if the bike is geared right and with no pillion.

A lovely big beast (I could just get 1 toe on the floor and I'm about 5'11") although they dropped the seat height on later models to stop people toppling off at lights (I nearly did many times)

60BHP and 45 lb.ft was plenty I found.  Also had the advantage that in my ex-Police Baleno Jacket and with red/blue stripes on the bike, motorists mistook me for Plod all the time.  Many times cars infront would slow down and mount the kerb to let me pass.

Definitely worth looking like a Bike Cop f you want to get a bit of respect.

« Reply #28 on: 19 November, 2008, 06:34:04 pm »
Showing my age here I know, but there was a lot to be said for traditional gradual move through 125s/250s to 500s to 650s/750s (bigger than that was rarity indeed!). And I know that traffic greater and faster now than 40 years ago, but a modern 250 near enough as quick as a cooking 500 from then.
IF I were in the market for a new bike, then I'd have a 250 Ninja I think. Fast enough for 90% of roads. Fast enough for 75% of riders.
Altho' I've had bigger bikes since I returned 2 years ago, I've kept the 250 (Virago!) I started again with: it will do M'ways, altho' not ideal. For elsewhere fine - and dirt cheap to run.
Whatever, have fun, ride safe.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #29 on: 19 November, 2008, 06:43:21 pm »
Not sure I would agree with the idea that since small bikes are as fast as older bigger bikes use a small new bike. I had an NSR400 for a while. It was as fast as the Z1000 I had before it and handled better however it was exceedingly tiring to ride for anything more than 50 miles and you had to ring its neck to make it go. A bigger bike will plod along with much less stress over longer distances than a revy small one. Also you can carry stuff without it complaining too much. A modern 250 has more horse power and is much faster than something like a an old Panther 650CC sloper single that only generates 24HP but I know which will tow a sidecar the easiest. Torque can sometimes be better than HP.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 20 November, 2008, 12:05:47 pm »
Grin-factor is directly proportional to Torque rather than Horse Power.

The lower down the torque is delivered the better. 

Everyone should ride a Harley at least once to feel 90ft.lbs at 3000 rpm (best to do this far away from bends and roundabouts though)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #31 on: 20 November, 2008, 12:16:08 pm »
Grin-factor is directly proportional to Torque rather than Horse Power.

The lower down the torque is delivered the better. 

Everyone should ride a Harley at least once to feel 90ft.lbs at 3000 rpm (best to do this far away from bends and roundabouts though)

I disagree.

The snarling thump of a Harley getting a handful in low revs is cool, but hearing an IL4 break 10,000rpm is hard-on inducing.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #32 on: 25 January, 2009, 03:40:50 pm »
Okay - my theory test is coming up shortly.  I've masted the multi-guess questions and consistently cruise through the required % score into pass territory, but the hazard perception clips are freaking me out.  In some of them the scoring kicks in when the car in front puts on an indicator, yet in others the car would have to put on the indicator, start to brake and manoeuvre before the scoring window starts.  It all seems a bit subjective / dark arts.

Any tips?  Or do I just have to try and learn the 72 available clips by rote and hope I can remember which 14 get presented to me on the day ???

Jezza

« Reply #33 on: 25 January, 2009, 04:27:33 pm »
From what I recall of the hazard clips, click often, but not like you're playing some arcade game. The phrase is something like spotting a 'developing' hazard. Because you're an experienced cyclist, you're probably pretty damn good at spotting a hazard, given that the test is designed for learners. So to give the machine time to keep up with you, click when you first spot the hazard, and then again a couple of seconds later. That way you won't be penalised for spotting the hazard before the computer thinks you could have.

I have the hazard DVD here if you'd like to borrow it. It's a bit rubbish but if you want, PM me and I'll pop it in the post. 

« Reply #34 on: 25 January, 2009, 04:57:45 pm »
I never had to do the hazard test, but my mate just did it recently and mentioned it in an email

'Well I passed my theory test this morning, so it's all go for phase 2. 

Multiple choice I ranked in at 100%, i got 54 in hazard perception, which is actually quite tricky - a lot of it is about judging when a hazard becomes a 'developing hazard' (see below - contains spoilers).  Being a cyclist I consider just about everything a hazard, even the road.  Still, I knocked 6 of them off on maximum points, so not all that bad.  The problem was I'm a very relaxed passenger, so by half way through I was just enjoying the scenery and struggling to pay attention - particularly as they went through places I've been, including Baldock and Crickhowell (Wales). 

There was one with a motorbike turning right across the road, and then it turning into a U-turn, I had no idea at which point that thing officially became a 'developing hazard' (somewhere between turned right and U-Turn i suspect).  Afterwards they gave me a few trial questions, and the hazard one there I was watching some old guy and his wife, I was wondering why he was pointing at something in the sky, I didn't realise he was actually flagging down a taxi.'

' The purpose of the test is not to identify hazards, but to be able to distinguish between hazards, potential hazards and developing hazards.  It's the last sort you are looking for.  A developing hazard is one which would make you change speed or direction. 

Don't expect the footage to be good, it's rubbish.  Don't click too early or too late.  I have heard that lots of highly experienced drivers (eg. instructors) fail the hazard perception, because they anticipate so damn early (just like me).'

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #35 on: 25 January, 2009, 10:27:55 pm »
How long is a theory test valid for? I am tempted to do a motorcycle test for the hell of it.. There is a place almost opposite me that has a good reputation.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jezza

« Reply #36 on: 25 January, 2009, 10:49:12 pm »
How long is a theory test valid for? I am tempted to do a motorcycle test for the hell of it.. There is a place almost opposite me that has a good reputation.

..d

Valid for 2 years. Best to do the main test before March 31st when they bring in the new test.

« Reply #37 on: 26 January, 2009, 08:49:46 am »
I have several times. Try overtaking an artic in the middle lane of a motorway and when you get alongside the artic it decides it's going to pull out without looking. You cant brake because a car is tailgating you and you cant pull into the fast lane as there is a steady stream of cars there already. You can brake and hope the idiot tailgater is awake or accelerate past the artic before he takes up the whole of your lane.

Alternatively you can give a toot on the horn.  It's actually a situation in which use of the horn is legal and it works a treat.

Although I have a full motorcycle licence I have sold the bike and bought a white van instead in order to carry stuff to France (and wine back).

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #38 on: 27 January, 2009, 11:16:08 pm »
Yay, I passed the thoery test today.  50 out of 50 on the multi-guess questions and a dodgier 53 out of 75 on the hazard perception, though I got a bit trigger happy with the mouse and fluffed one question up ;D

Still I didn't scrape over the line, I passed well enough to feel proud.

Thanks for all your advice.

C

« Reply #39 on: 27 January, 2009, 11:18:24 pm »
Yay, I passed the thoery test today.  50 out of 50 on the multi-guess questions and a dodgier 53 out of 75 on the hazard perception, though I got a bit trigger happy with the mouse and fluffed one question up ;D

Still I didn't scrape over the line, I passed well enough to feel proud.

Thanks for all your advice.

C

Congratulations!!!  :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 28 January, 2009, 01:27:08 pm »
Brilliant news!  So looking forward to hearing about your first bike once you've passed the test  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #41 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:49:27 pm »
Congratulations!

Once you've got through your practical test, you can start learning to ride.  Get yourself a copy of "Motorcycle Roadcraft" and read it.  Google IAM and ROSPA and get in touch with a local group, get some free observed rides, take an advanced test. 

You will significantly increase your chances of staying alive.

Some local police forces run "Ride to Arrive" courses too - worth giving their trafiic department a ring.

Riding kit is important too - I don't swing a leg over my bike (If I'm not on a pushbike, I'm generally on my FJR1300..) unless I have my leathers on.  I splashed out on BKS made-to-measure, pricey but worth every penny in terms of protection.  I also tend to go for the hi-viz look, particularly when commuting.

« Reply #42 on: 14 August, 2009, 07:54:48 pm »
Yayy, I passed the module 1 test today (2nd time lucky).

Just the part 2 to go, once the DSA fix their spanky booking system >:( and then I'm ready to rumble. Bar getting a motorbike of course...

« Reply #43 on: 14 August, 2009, 08:11:08 pm »
Few years/'000 miles on a 125, ditto a (slow) 250, ditto a 500....then if you are a very good rider something that'll do maybe a ton-twenty. If you have the coordination and reflexes of full-on race rider, then shorten those times a bit AND get on the sort of bike that these days is ludicrously thought appropriate for a newbie and will do 3 miles a MINUTE!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Jezza

« Reply #44 on: 14 August, 2009, 09:12:06 pm »
Yayy, I passed the module 1 test today (2nd time lucky).

Just the part 2 to go, once the DSA fix their spanky booking system >:( and then I'm ready to rumble. Bar getting a motorbike of course...

Well done  :thumbsup: Are you sticking with a 125 or going for something larger?

There's a lot to be said for not jumping on a sportsbike - I've seen plenty of threads by new bikers wanting to get an R6, GSXR or whatever, and I always advise them against it, but I don't think it's necessary to limit yourself to the 125>250>500 progression for years either. Sure, you can do that if you want, but if you've done the DAS nothing's stopping you getting a 500 or 600 now, taking it easy for a couple of years and learning as you go. Works for a lot of people. I wouldn't get anything sportsbike shaped, mind. Not for a couple of years.  

I'm new to it myself, but am very pleased with my FZ6 as a first big bike. It's a lot of power to handle, but is much more forgiving than a full-on sportsbike.

Good luck for part 2.

« Reply #45 on: 16 August, 2009, 03:00:49 am »
Cheers for the advice.  I'm looking at a 600 of some sort, something pillion-friendly for when I eventually get persuaded to take MiniQ for a ride.  That won't be until I've got some miles under my belt though.  I need to spend some time getting experience before I tackle new challenges.

I'm a sensible (advanced) driver, clean licence and do 30000 miles a year in a car, plus my cycling miles so I doubt I'll be a dork just because I'm on a motorbike.  I'm definitely not looking to get a superbike any time soon as I've gone straight for the DAS without spending years on a 125.

With any luck I'll get part 2 ticked off soon and have a few dryer months to ride before the darkness sets in.

C

Jezza

« Reply #46 on: 16 August, 2009, 11:51:41 pm »
I'm not sure about the pillion status of any of these, but the usual 600s recommended as a first big bike:

Honda Hornet
Honda CBR600   
Suzuki Bandit
Suzuki SV650
Yamaha Fazer FZ6
Yamaha FZR600
Yamaha XJ6
Ducati Monster
Kawasaki ER6

Loads more to choose from as well. Go and sit on as many as you can, try and get a test ride, and you'll find one that feels right.

« Reply #47 on: 17 August, 2009, 12:28:27 am »
Deauville or F650GS, I'd have said. 

If you fancy popping over this way for a day's observed riding with friendly, consructive tips thrown in then you're more than welcome.   

« Reply #48 on: 17 August, 2009, 01:07:55 pm »
Deauville or F650GS, I'd have said. 

If you fancy popping over this way for a day's observed riding with friendly, consructive tips thrown in then you're more than welcome.   

+1

In fact, that's the list of bikes I've owned, in order!  :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #49 on: 27 August, 2009, 01:22:06 pm »
I passed this morning.  Yay!  ;D