Author Topic: Watch advice  (Read 18813 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Watch advice
« on: 14 January, 2009, 10:52:57 pm »
It's a while since I've worn a watch so I thought I might treat myself. I already own a "dress" watch (a Raymond Weil) so I need something rugged and water resistant for everyday use. Budget up to £100 I guess. I like diving and military style watches. I don't like metal straps/bracelets (I would prefer non-leather as well eg rubber or fabric) or anything too big or too small or "fashion" watches.

Any ideas?
Pen Pusher

bobajobrob

Re: Watch advice
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2009, 10:53:52 pm »
Casio g-shock ftw :) Loads of different styles to choose from.

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2009, 10:55:55 pm »
Seiko skx007.

bomb proof, nice size, good time for an auto and look good on a nato strap, also look like a rolex submariner  :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2009, 10:58:01 pm »
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2009, 11:04:25 pm »
also look at the Seiko 'monster'

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2009, 11:47:56 pm »
For the budget that you've got, you're not going to get anything particularly robust and long lasting I'm afraid.

If you want to use it for scuba-diving or swimming you need at least a 200m water resistance.

I'd look at the Swatch collection for a cheap and reliable watch.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2009, 11:57:39 pm »
Another vote for Casio G-Shock for cheap, waterproof (200m) and very tough. 

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2009, 12:03:29 am »
http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

The G10 at the top of that page?

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but the design is of MOD origin, and that particular one in the link is a good quality "homage". Good practical watch to wear. Within budget and ticks the strap and water resistant requirements.

« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:26:26 am »

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but the design is of MOD origin, and that particular one in the link is a good quality "homage". Good practical watch to wear. Within budget and ticks the strap and water resistant requirements.

I've gone through countless work watches over the last 5 years, and *thought* I'd finally found my holy grail in the G10 but then that failed too, after about 12 months use. I'm not sure if it was a seal that let go and allowed water into the case, or if it was simply water vapour condensing inside due to the 40 degree desert temperatures, but somehow a lot of moisture got into it.  A great watch otherwise, and in fact after I took it off and put it in a draw at home in the UK, the moisture cleared up and it's still keeping excellent time now, so it's hard to fault it given the harsh conditions I subjected it to.

I'll go with others here in the thread though, and recommend a Casio GShock. I haven't been able to kill the one on my wrist, despite some seriously nasty treatment. It's head and shoulders above everything else I've tried as a tools watch.

Your £100 budget will buy you a solar (top up), atomic clock sync'ing, 200m water resist model with the non metallic strap you want. Loads of styles to choose from, and they're bombproof.

« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:34:24 am »
The G10 in the link above has a screw down crown and case back so has much better water resistance than issued G10s and most of the more recent reincarnations, whatever their claims. 

G shocks are great but they are quite bulky on the wrist, I find.

bikenerd

« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:49:19 am »
I have a Citizen automatic divers watch, for which I paid £25 virtually unused!  This watch is virtually indestructible, water proof to 200m, has a screw down crown, very bright luminescent digits and hand and a rubber strap.

I much prefer automatic winders to battery watches.  They're not quite as accurate, but you can happily go off on a long trip without worrying that your battery might run out.  A Kinetic (self powering quartz watch) might be the best of both worlds.

eBay is definitely the place to buy Japanese watches - as long as you click "UK only" in the search to get rid of the sellers from Hong Kong.  Here's the aforementioned Citizen for £85 + P&P. Citizen promaster dive watch on eBay
Same watch but in black

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:44:44 am »
http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

Thanks, SP :). I had a look at the Time Factors site but failed to notice that (probably because I was looking for "Broadarrow"). Do you have one of these? I'd be interested to know what the finish of the case is like. It looks quite rough in the photos but I'm sure this isn't the case (no pun intended).
Pen Pusher

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:53:49 am »
I have a Genuine CWC G10.  This one:

I've had it for twelve years, during which time it's only ever needed one battery change.  It's been audaxing, swimming, climbing, racing and even endured being on my wrist whilst I was working in a factory during my industrial year at Uni.  It's been bashed, smashed, dropped and generally abused and it still looks good.

There are only two ways you can get a CWC watch.  One is to join HM forces.  The other is to go to Silvermans and to buy one.  Anyone else offering you a new "British military watch" (look on eBay) won't be selling a CWC.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:01:43 am »
A few on Fleabay as well.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:21:45 am »
Last June, i bought myself one of these
http://www.seiko.co.uk/products/seiko/c/other_seiko_watches/m/ska369p1
It's a big chunk of stainless and i like it. Not as accurate as other seiko's i have had, but more than good enough for me.
I wear it for work & out to play, love the thought that i don't have to think / worry about it, it's more than big enough to look after itself!
I got mine from an e-bay seller based in plymouth, south devon watch sales. approx £140. bit more than your budget, but worth it i think.

« Reply #15 on: 15 January, 2009, 12:46:05 pm »
Thanks, SP :). I had a look at the Time Factors site but failed to notice that (probably because I was looking for "Broadarrow"). Do you have one of these? I'd be interested to know what the finish of the case is like. It looks quite rough in the photos but I'm sure this isn't the case (no pun intended).

I have had CWC and other issued G10s (this is a design that was been produced by quite a few different manufacturers over the years for MoD contracts). Issued watches (i.e. ones that have actually been issued to servicemen) are available via Ebay etc if interested, along with lots that are not genuine and ones that are Ok but have never been issued. New ones from Silvermans have not been issued unless specified. If you want an issued one these people are good:

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/horo.htm

For your purposes I'd recommend the Timefactors one: as it states, similar design but with a better movement, better water resistance than the originals (which were very variable in that respect from watch to watch and had a snap-on case back (sometimes with a battery hatch), and a crown that did not screw in), and a longer battery life.

Finish is bead-blasted. I agree the photo is not great. In fact you'll find it is very well and evenly finished. It's a dull, fine shot-blast appearance in keeping with the military origin. There's a forum on Timefactors in which you'll find stacks of much better pics I'm sure.

I'd recommend it with a grey NATO strap as per Charlotte's pic. The alternative, also good, is a two piece canvas strap.

Eddie at Timefactors is very efficient and good to deal with.

BTW if you do fancy the Seiko 007, I have one here, black face version, as new, which I'd sell very cheaply indeed as I never wear it. The official Seiko RRP for these is insane; they've been available for years from various sources at a fraction of the RRP.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #16 on: 15 January, 2009, 01:11:55 pm »
Ta for that :thumbsup:.

I was registered on the Timefactors forum but haven't been there for a couple of years now. I'll have to e-mail Eddie to get my account re-activated.

I'll also consider your Seiko 007. Can you PM me a price?

ta muchly :).
Pen Pusher

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #17 on: 15 January, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »
I just bought a Casio GW-M5600-1ER.  It arrived Yesterday.  The time was rubbish so I set the place to Lon (No Cardiff option), it listened to Anthorn and the correct time and date appeared.  It is solar powered so no need to wind/change battery.  A few hours in bright sunshine will power it for a few months. Unlike most products they recommend you leave it exposed to light.

At_a_Glance - GW-M5600-1ER - G-Shock - Watches - CASIO

It claims 200m water resistance.
Can talk to various atomic clocks around the world.
Solar powered

Other G-Shock have things like altimeters, temperature measurement, tide times etc.

Against

It is a little chucky so does not look as retro as I had hoped.  I chose this model because it appeared to look like the ten quid watches of the late eighties.
I do not like small multilanguage instruction booklet.
The presentaion case (tin) is useless.  You do not keep solar watches in dark containers.  
It has 5 alarms, far too complicated for a would be luddite like me.

« Reply #18 on: 15 January, 2009, 01:36:50 pm »
My Casio cost £5 new last year.  It looks extremely ordinary (no-one has mugged me for it. :thumbsup:)and is so light I have to check to see if it's still there.  Waterproof?  Who cares..

Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:06:34 pm »
I have a Seiko SKX009 (the red and blue version of the 007).  I had it adjusted and it is accurate to within 5 seconds per day.  Very heavy though.  Cost about £90 new from fleaBay.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #20 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:12:33 pm »
Would this suit ?  Slightly 2nd hand (not mine) http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64404
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #21 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:16:36 pm »
The Swiss Railway watches from Mondaine are stylish, easy to read and pretty robust. Most of the basic ones are under a £100. I'm on my second one, but only 'cos I lost the first one :-[
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Rob S

« Reply #22 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:01:40 pm »
The Swiss Railway watches from Mondaine are stylish, easy to read and pretty robust. Most of the basic ones are under a £100. I'm on my second one, but only 'cos I lost the first one :-[

I've got one of those....the one with the sapphire crystal, the A658.30332.11SBB typically about £140

Would look better with a slightly meatier crown.

« Reply #23 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:24:55 pm »
Ah. I was looking for a new watch - and I think I've found it. Thanks, valkyrie & Rob. That looks perfect - and from what I can find, it's accurate & fairly robust, so is perfect. I love the look: it's exactly what I want from a watch dial. Clarity & simplicity.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:44:39 pm »
Ah. I was looking for a new watch - and I think I've found it. Thanks, valkyrie & Rob. That looks perfect - and from what I can find, it's accurate & fairly robust, so is perfect. I love the look: it's exactly what I want from a watch dial. Clarity & simplicity.

However, they're not waterproof.  You shouldn't really shower or swim in them.

But they are beautiful - lovely clean, classic lines.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor