Author Topic: Equality question (may be in wrong place)  (Read 6192 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Equality question (may be in wrong place)
« Reply #50 on: 28 October, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »
It seems to be coasting along nicely.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #51 on: 28 October, 2010, 05:39:57 pm »
You think?  I thought it was rapidly going downhill, myself.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 28 October, 2010, 05:44:21 pm »
Nope, it is slowing to a stop.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 28 October, 2010, 06:38:54 pm »
Friction is a significant factor.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #54 on: 28 October, 2010, 07:59:15 pm »
Personally, I have no problem with being beaten by women

Me neither. Costs good money in that there London.

As for trophies, if a sex differentiation is felt necessary then the best way would be three trophies; best male, best female, best overall. Someone will go away with two each year.

« Reply #55 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:34:13 pm »
So you're not into hill climbs then?

Not particularly. Everyone has different strengths. Mine are curling up to make myself very small aerodynamic, and short sprints.  And definitely not hillclimbs.

For those interested, the motion to scrap the women's trophy fell. However, the overall trophy has been renamed the "men's trophy" thus eliminating the overall winner thing, though at the awards presentation I will be announced as the overall winner and get my trophy (i.e. "the winner is Katie <trophy> and the best man was Joe Bloggs <trophy>" or "the winner is Joe Bloggs <trophy> and the best woman was Jane Doe <trophy>).
Also, they're going to start recording the winners in the annual secretary's report for the first time.

So, not the result we were after, but a good one nonetheless.

« Reply #56 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:36:22 pm »
A result of sorts.

So, are they going to retrospectively change the records re your Mum?   Or have I understood that bit wrongly? 

« Reply #57 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:40:42 pm »
There are no pen/paper records for previous years.  Mum's on the women's trophy instead of overall but since the women's trophy is being scrapped because it's falling apart I don't know how they'll fix that one.  Doubt they will.  It's good for future winners, though.  Little sister's turn next :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:42:28 pm »
If you're going to have any separate contest for a specific gender, I see no need for an overall winner; Wimbledon doesn't have one.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:46:14 pm »
If you're going to have any separate contest for a specific gender, I see no need for an overall winner; Wimbledon doesn't have one.

It's all one contest, not separate contests.  That (and the fact that sex doesn't affect ability) was my argument for ditching the women's trophy and having one overall winner, but apparently nobody else in the club agreed.  (I wasn't there to witness the arguments against us, so I'll let mum explain...)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #60 on: 29 October, 2010, 05:25:09 pm »
Sounds fudgetastic. I'd be all bitter and twisted...