Author Topic: Recommend me: a headtorch  (Read 4483 times)

Recommend me: a headtorch
« on: 11 November, 2012, 06:42:55 pm »
My CybaRing headtorch has died and I need a replacement.

Main use; vision while fettling. Emergency backup if bike lights fail.

Must be small, light, and withstand rattling around in a bag.

Must be angleable rather than fixed in one direction.

Budget; £15 or less

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Recommend me: a headtorch
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2012, 06:49:35 pm »
Possibly fails on 'small'...

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2012, 06:56:38 pm »
No recommendations I'm afraid but my local Sports World and TKMaxx always have modestly priced offerings. I wonder , has anybody ever bought one from either of these establishments ?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Recommend me: a headtorch
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2012, 06:57:29 pm »
The alpkit one is about the same size and weight as a Tikka. Pretty good vfm.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2012, 08:07:55 pm »
Alpkit ok for back up but you will break the battery box as it's made of meringue.

Just a little bit more will get you a proper Silva torch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silva-Ranger-Headlamp-Head-Torch/dp/B003BE07S2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1352664350&sr=8-6

I have a Silva Trailrunner that I use for night time off road forays and it rocks.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »
I was thinking of the alpkit shame about the battery box.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:01:38 pm »
If it really is going to get used very rarely in emergencies, then wrap it in bubble wrap and it'll be fine.
Alternatively, bite the bullet and pay extra for quality - I did (with a sharp intake of breath) but it gets used all the time - fettling computers, going in the loft, off round the world when lent to various sprogs, etc, and on the bike over the winter. Money well spent.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:04:04 pm »
I found that the [broken] torch is still available  - but costs the same as the alpkit. Give the extra utility of the alpkit, I've ordered one.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »
You could get a Petzl Tikkina 2 for £16: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/petzl-tikkina-2-headtorch-p103513
Its not the brightest, but it is pretty compact, and a simple design so should be reliable.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:47:11 pm »
I ordered the Alpkit a few days ago and I'm awaiting its arrival. A bit pissed off with the comments on here about the fragility of the battery box.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:55:17 pm »
Alpkit ok for back up but you will break the battery box as it's made of meringue.

Which bits break?  Might apply some pre-emptive strengthening
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2012, 11:25:36 pm »
I've had two over the last many years and never managed to break the battery box. The first one failed at the rear light switch (stuck on 'on') after about 3 years of being chucked in a rucksack and taken to Scout Camp.

I used it for a while afterwards deliberately opening and closing the battery box to turn it on and off, so it's been through quite a few cycles of opening and closing.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #13 on: 11 November, 2012, 11:51:26 pm »
following a tip from Peter, I don't carry a headtorch - I read my routesheet and root around in my bag with a 'thumbtorch'.  £10 from lbs, it has a bit of shock cord that's meant to fix it to the bar.  It clicks on and off even with one hand by pressing it against the bar when it is strapped to my thumb.  Essential to try it in the shop with winter gloves on though, as if it is too tight it will stop circulation.  For extended night riding I move it around from left to right and use different fingers.

I think it might be a cateye but I can check over the next day or two if you want me to root it out.  Done - it's a cateye LOOP

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 12 November, 2012, 06:53:56 am »
The Alpkit headtorch is functionally very good, but the battery box isn't a good design, and we had one broken before we even used it.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 12 November, 2012, 07:04:05 am »
We have 3  xAlpkit Gamma.
We have 3 'cause the first one was/is excellent as are the subsequent ones.

« Reply #16 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:02:19 am »
The Cree T6 knock offs make a very powerful headtorch and I got mine for less than the price of an Alpkit. 

« Reply #17 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:12:11 am »
I'm getting hacked off with big Petzls breaking their wires (just had another one go) so I have ordered a Silva trail runner.  That and the LED Lenser 7 seem to be what the fell running lot use, which is a good clue.  The Tikka plus is still going strong for reading, although it's useless for seeing where you're going.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #18 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:17:22 am »

Which bits break?  Might apply some pre-emptive strengthening

The lugs that hold the box together are a weak point - as is the quality control in general.

Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:41:55 am »
I had an email from Royal Mail 12 12.22 this morning telling me that my Alpkit parcel was ready for delivery.

It arrived at 8.30.

I had another email at 8.34 telling me that it had arrived.

I already knew that.

Quite impressive nonetheless.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 12 November, 2012, 10:03:41 am »
I've got a Petzl Tikka Plus, which is great for reading in a tent or looking at a map, but not bright enough for what I'm currently using it for - washing the bike in the dark before taking it inside! And I wouldn't trust it to light my way at walking pace, let alone riding - mind you, I think I don't have good night vision, although I don't need glasses in daytime. So I think I might investigate one of these Silva or Alpkit jobbies.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21 on: 12 November, 2012, 10:16:42 am »
I use the headtorch when working on boats - hanging half-upside down into an engine bay, crawling through the bilges, that sort of thing.

It also gets used when doing bike maint in the dark at home.

So having a not-too bright setting is pretty important. I've found that the reflection from things when working up close can be really dazzling with a high-power light.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 12 November, 2012, 10:27:11 am »
Good point on the reflections.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 12 November, 2012, 12:26:46 pm »
It was a weird transaction, buying my head torch.

When I placed the order I received a message, the precise wording of which I cannot remember, which told me that my credit card had been rejected, or the order couldn't be processed, something like that. I was a little surprised therefore to receive emails to state that my order had been a success and had been processed.

My credit card still hasn't been debited by Alpkit, or whoever handles their money. I've phoned Alpkit to let them know, but they have assured me that they've had the money. Maybe whoever debits my account will still do so, but four days have passed and in my experience it's quite unusual for that sort of elapsed time for the transaction to go through after the order has been fulfilled.

I may have picked up a free head torch.