Author Topic: Black magic network devices  (Read 3696 times)

Re: Black magic network devices
« Reply #25 on: 26 July, 2020, 02:17:12 pm »
Even just reading the word "Pathworks" still makes me shudder...

It worked OK. I had to become a VAX qualified system admin so I could install the VAX parts of Pathworks.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #26 on: 26 July, 2020, 02:28:34 pm »

Back in the day there were quite a few things that ran over L2 such as SNA, LAT and NETBUI. These days not so much unless you are looking at low level network stuff like CDP, STP, LACP etc.

Takes me back to 1988 when portable data capture units (PDCU) used to be plugged into system /36 mini computers which talked SNA / LU6.2 to a mainframe, triggering an IMS transaction which then triggered a cascade of further IMS transactions to apply the different data from the units.

« Reply #27 on: 26 July, 2020, 03:34:45 pm »

Back in the day there were quite a few things that ran over L2 such as SNA, LAT and NETBUI. These days not so much unless you are looking at low level network stuff like CDP, STP, LACP etc.

Takes me back to 1988 when portable data capture units (PDCU) used to be plugged into system /36 mini computers which talked SNA / LU6.2 to a mainframe, triggering an IMS transaction which then triggered a cascade of further IMS transactions to apply the different data from the units.

Ooh that just reminded me of doing DLSW to tunnel SNA over IP networks. Hadn't thought about that in years.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #28 on: 26 July, 2020, 08:03:02 pm »
pcolbeck is 100% correct.  I feel somewhat a berk for not being able to get hold of the idea that the EoP side could function just fine with an un/mis-configured admin side.  My vain pride clings to the fact that the only documentation supplied in the box or by support makes no mention of the 192.168.x.x range.  Somehow I had it lodged in my head that if the EoP side functions without the endpoints having an IP address the management interface must do too.  Both logically and empirically bollocks.

It's management interface now resides in my 10. range. 
Thank you all and pcolbeck in particular.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.