Author Topic: Skills sharing  (Read 8905 times)

Re: Skills sharing
« Reply #50 on: 12 May, 2013, 02:08:18 pm »
I could teach you Blacksmithing skills – if I had a fire

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #51 on: 12 May, 2013, 02:14:08 pm »
I could teach you Blacksmithing skills – if I had a fire

I'm sure a fire could be arranged. Would you need some bellows (or we could molish a cycle powered wind generator?)

Any TV producers out there (Valiant?) want to pitch a new series of 'survivor - YACF style'?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #52 on: 12 May, 2013, 02:30:34 pm »
I could help Tim teach knotting, lashing and splicing.

Would be interested in learning BSL and sharpening things.

Would need to coincide with a trip back to the UK.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #53 on: 12 May, 2013, 02:47:47 pm »
Now, I know of a small, private wood in the Berkhampstead area which might be available for appropriate craft type stuff.  We can also camp there and build a big fire but the toilet is literally a hole in the ground and the water comes in plastic containers.   

Let me know if there is a need and I'll talk to Dorothy.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #54 on: 12 May, 2013, 04:09:16 pm »
I'll investigate whether we can use the local Scout campsite, I am a local Scout after all. Showers, loos, running water. Trees wot can be cut down within reason.  Just south of Gatwick.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #55 on: 12 May, 2013, 05:32:18 pm »
I've run several circuit-bending workshops before if anyone fancies having a noodle around inside the circuitry of some bleepy toys and seeing what other noises they can liberate?

Rather than doing a formal workshop, what's worked well in the past is people bringing whatever non-sentimental-value bleepy toys they have to hand (or visiting their local charity shop) and we spend a few hours exploring and having a bit of a giggle. I can show people the basics, including as much of 'soldering for 9-year-olds' as necessary.

A bit like this:

We'd need table space, snacks, decent light and electrons etc for at least one soldering iron.

Am also totally up for learning to swear in different languages, fixing things, hitting things, welding thing, sharpening things, taking things apart and tying them together etc etc etc.
Something that was suggested at Long Itch was to have different instalments at intervals in various locations lending themselves to different activities.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #56 on: 12 May, 2013, 08:57:06 pm »
I can do plumbing, with big pipe benders and stuff.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #57 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:02:22 pm »
Dowsing. We could try dowsing.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:38:31 pm »

And I could open a sacred circle and lead a workshop on crystal healing?  I'd also be willing to teach Reiki, hot stone massage and colonic hydrotherapy  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:40:27 pm »
I think we've already got a plan for all that stuff: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=69732.0

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #60 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:42:23 pm »

And I could open a sacred circle and lead a workshop on crystal healing?  I'd also be willing to teach Reiki, hot stone massage and colonic hydrotherapy  :D
Can there be a Goddess menstrual chanting workshop too?

I can teach cakes and apostrophes.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #61 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:53:19 pm »

Got it. Using a bit of pioneering, we construct a pyramid. Place the newly sharpened tools in them and wait. Hah!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: 13 May, 2013, 02:00:38 pm »
Can there be a Goddess menstrual chanting workshop too?

You mean one of those workshops that involves a big box of hand mirrors and risible nomenclature?

Fabulous  :D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #63 on: 13 May, 2013, 03:45:50 pm »
, we construct a pyramid. Place the newly sharpened tools in them and wait. Hah!

I read about that,some years ago, in a book titled Supernature by Lyall Watson iirc

'twas when I went thru' my Erik von Daniken phase

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #64 on: 13 May, 2013, 03:58:38 pm »
Blood doping? Take a bag from you and return it just before the annual holiday cycle tour?

« Reply #65 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:18:35 pm »
I've just had a phonecall from the Arts Council  ;D
Looks like I'll be getting a letter confirming funding for my summer of hackspace type stuff towards the end of the week  :thumbsup:

As I mentioned at Rutland, I'd proposed that the launch event was an overnighter on the longest day where people are invited to rock up and spend the night learning something new. (The revised version after mentioning this at Rutland involves some rudimentary picks, a series of increasingly seriously locked doors and people coming out when they've become good enough!  :o )

Since there's so much overlap between our skills sharing plans here and the sorts of things I'd like to support happening over the summer, I'm entirely happy to flex the latter if it can help make the former happen. Things like making it a weekend event later on, for example.

It'd be a slightly different beast in that it would also be open to the public, but we'd have a big indoor space, electricity, internet access, loos and showers, tables and chairs etc. Downside: it's in West Bromwich ;)

Presumably I'll be meeting with the host venue next week to pin down the programme a bit more, so we've some time to explore here whether this could be help or hinderance. What do you think?

The main sticking point for them is likely to be the overnight bit and cost implications for staffing, so my main concern at this point is are there alternative accommodation options nearby in case we can't camp in the gallery? Take over a local BnB? Camping out Dudley direction somewhere?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #66 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:41:29 pm »
Looks like I'll be getting a letter confirming funding for my summer of hackspace type stuff towards the end of the week  :thumbsup:

As I mentioned at Rutland, I'd proposed that the launch event was an overnighter on the longest day where people are invited to rock up and spend the night learning something new. (The revised version after mentioning this at Rutland involves some rudimentary picks, a series of increasingly seriously locked doors and people coming out when they've become good enough!  :o )

Since there's so much overlap between our skills sharing plans here and the sorts of things I'd like to support happening over the summer, I'm entirely happy to flex the latter if it can help make the former happen. Things like making it a weekend event later on, for example.

It'd be a slightly different beast in that it would also be open to the public, but we'd have a big indoor space, electricity, internet access, loos and showers, tables and chairs etc. Downside: it's in West Bromwich ;)

Presumably I'll be meeting with the host venue next week to pin down the programme a bit more, so we've some time to explore here whether this could be help or hinderance. What do you think?

The main sticking point for them is likely to be the overnight bit and cost implications for staffing, so my main concern at this point is are there alternative accommodation options nearby in case we can't camp in the gallery? Take over a local BnB? Camping out Dudley direction somewhere?

West Brom :(

I did my penance there - 8 years at Sandwell DGH

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:12:58 pm »

Nice one - congratulations!

It sounds like an utterly barmy scheme Nikki.  Given half a chance, I'm in  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:21:17 pm »
In if it's not that weekend, as that clashes with the York Rally.

I'm reasonably immune to The Public by now, anyway.   ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #69 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:50:37 pm »
This all sounds a jolly good idea. I'd be interested in learning sharpening of things like kitchen knives or Sturmey Archer knives. I fancy a go at archery too. Not sure if I have any skills worth passing on though. Umm, swearing at (or even complimenting) your Polish plumber? Subtitling movies (need special software for that one)? Negotiating monsoon floods? Maybe not.

I can show you how to strip and rebuild a hub gear.
Only if you supply the polka dot outfits.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #70 on: 14 May, 2013, 02:11:36 pm »
West Brom :(

I did my penance there - 8 years at Sandwell DGH

*puts name down for survival skills*

Nice one - congratulations!
It sounds like an utterly barmy scheme Nikki.  Given half a chance, I'm in  :)

Thanks!

I can forge ahead in a general red-headed manner and Make Something Happen - just want to make sure I'm not treading on any toes...

I'm reasonably immune to The Public by now, anyway.   ;D

Yeah, sorry 'bout that ;)

Given the proximity to Brum and the enthusiasm registered so far for BSL, would you and barakta like to propose a couple of weekends that work for you guys and I'll assume that avoids clashes with existing biggy YACF events too. I'll need to negotiate availability of the venue - and of course wait for the funding confirmation letter! - but a date would help focus things.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #71 on: 16 May, 2013, 07:34:37 pm »
Sounds good.

I'd be interested in
BSL
sharpening things
peening things (part of blacksmithing?)
wills 'n' stuff

and can offer
how to knit socks - assumes you can already do plain and purl stitches
improve your french/accent (not much slang 'cos I iz a laydey innit)

preferably not until October ha ha
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #72 on: 16 May, 2013, 07:37:33 pm »
Now, I know of a small, private wood in the Berkhampstead area which might be available for appropriate craft type stuff.  We can also camp there and build a big fire but the toilet is literally a hole in the ground and the water comes in plastic containers.   

Let me know if there is a need and I'll talk to Dorothy.

Suitable for felling small trees and limbing and cross cutting chainsaw class?  :demon:

« Reply #73 on: 18 May, 2013, 08:23:03 pm »
Learner rather than teacher I think. Interested in all things bike, and tyeing knots would be really useful e.g. how to string up a hammock/bivvy type of thing.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #74 on: 18 May, 2013, 08:49:03 pm »
Learner rather than teacher I think. Interested in all things bike, and tyeing knots would be really useful e.g. how to string up a hammock/bivvy type of thing.

Ooh! I've got a hammock and tarp. I can show how I rig mine up. I get the impression there are many ways to do this though.