Author Topic: Nice Looking Tandem on Gumtree - Edinburgh  (Read 6275 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Nice Looking Tandem on Gumtree - Edinburgh
« on: 11 June, 2010, 10:49:44 pm »
By the way I'm not selling this and don't know who is but I saw this on Gumtree tonight and tried to talk my wife into becoming a tandem partner.  It turns out that apparently only nerds and wifes who have given in to nagging cyclist husbands ride tandems, so I have no need for this nice looking steed.  Anyway £300 for a 531 Claud Butler, looks pretty nice.

http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/45/60068845.html

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Nice Looking Tandem on Gumtree - Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2010, 08:02:26 am »
It turns out that apparently only nerds and wifes who have given in to nagging cyclist husbands ride tandems

Oh dear, if you like you could PM me with your contact details and I could nag ask Mrs C to give Mrs MK a ring to set her right on that  :)
Aero but not dynamic

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2010, 08:12:52 am »
It turns out that apparently only nerds and wifes who have given in to nagging cyclist husbands ride tandems

Oh dear, if you like you could PM me with your contact details and I could nag ask Mrs C to give Mrs MK a ring to set her right on that  :)
..and Mrs eck and, I dare say, Maverick's better half, and then there's Mrs Ernst...
Need we go on?  ;)  ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2010, 08:13:24 am »
I'll talk to her! Tandems are fab :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2010, 08:50:24 am »
Chain's a bit slack.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2010, 08:53:48 am »
Handlebars look a bit funny - must be the angle.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2010, 09:07:20 am »

..and Mrs eck and, I dare say, Maverick's better half, and then there's Mrs Ernst...
Need we go on?  ;)  ;D

I tried to sell her the vision of the both of us gliding through the countryside on a beautiful summer's day but to no avail.  I think her biggest problem is that she doesn't think tandems are cool.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2010, 09:16:07 am »
Fatbloke's got one of those.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2010, 09:22:24 am »

Need we go on?  ;)  ;D

I tried to sell her the vision of the both of us gliding through the countryside on a beautiful summer's day but to no avail.  I think her biggest problem is that she doesn't think tandems are cool.

That's such a shame, tandems are such a lovely way for two people to cycle together, especially partners of different cycling ability. 300 quid is great value too.

« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2010, 10:14:12 am »
Get it anyway, then arrange for someone else to be your stoker - I'm sure that'd bring her round quite quickly! :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2010, 10:24:55 am »
How about this lady as a stoker?

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 12 June, 2010, 10:43:55 pm »

Funny that, No1Daughter wasn't impressed with the idea that I take her over to meet her mates on ours.

« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2010, 10:47:16 pm »
I remember those. Horrible frame design. Hardly better than an open frame.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2010, 06:11:40 am »

she doesn't think tandems are cool.

life can be a bit cruel...my stoker would love to be able to ride but orthopeadic issues currently prevent it.
However both my grand daughters think it is street-cred cool, to the extent that one of them likes to go to school on the tandem & also wants to do an E2E on the tandem with her grandad :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2010, 11:02:15 am »
Tandems are Soooooooo cool. :) Everyone will tell you that as you ride down the road. People shreik at you, cheer, clap and sing to you. Everyone from small children to old chaps smile at you. The most common comment is a nudge to a partner and 'we need one of those!' :D We have never had a single non-positive comment, even the teenage lads at the cycling club were excited about it - one jumped on and took it for a spin around the carpark with the lad stoking! TGL has done a warty stoking Wow's tandem and a 63 mile day with ours loaded for camping last year - at the end we were flagging, but he was singing! It's brilliant.  8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:09:44 pm »

And the countryside is Tranent.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #16 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:25:12 pm »
Tandems are Soooooooo cool. :) Everyone will tell you that as you ride down the road. People shreik at you, cheer, clap and sing to you. 8)
My #1 favourite (combining this with the Dark Side thread about stuff being yelled from bystanders) occurs when I'm riding my tandem solo (which happens a lot), and a car pulls up alongside when I'm at the lights:

Quote from: Mondeo Man
You've lost someone. Hur Hur.

Quote from: Me, smiling sweetly
How many empty seats are you carting around?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:33:37 pm »
nice line in patter there rower40 ;D :thumbsup: