Author Topic: N+1- Circe Helios  (Read 6505 times)

N+1- Circe Helios
« on: 28 July, 2011, 04:12:55 pm »
Picking up a Circe Helios tomorrow. We decided we wanted hub gears but drop bars, so went for an Omnis spec, but with some extensive option changes. Pics to follow, option changes below. Planning to use it to do CTC/club/audax rides with my 5 year old. Hoping to do a 100km with him pretty soon.

150 x 17 deg stem, use longest steerer. 18T
36H wheels. 1.75 marathons, Bacchetta stoker bar with tape
1.00 S1 Pro LT drop bar
1.00 S1 Versa VRS 8sp levers
1.00 Shimano R505 front and rear discs
1.00 Brooks B17 STD honey Saddle
1.00 Circe Crank Shortner Adjustable
1.00 S1 Shimano PD M520
1.00 Pletscher ESGE Twin Leg Kickstand
1.00 SKS Mudguard BLK-Wide
1.00 Blackburn EX1+ Rear Rack Blk for Disc for disc and CoPilot
1.00 System Ex EX990 Pedals 9/16"
1.00 S1 Toe clips and straps

Re: N+1- Circe Helios
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2011, 09:01:09 pm »
Fantastic! That's so exciting :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2011, 09:43:04 pm »
Cool!  :D :D :D :D

I must admit, if we needed to buy another tandem, I would be tempted to try out a Helios. They seem quite good.

California Dreaming

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2011, 07:57:37 pm »

Couple of things still to add (clips and straps on the back, headtube mount for the bar bag, 140mm stem...) Versa shifters are really nice, and the Tiagra discs feel great. The whole thing feels really nice - stiff and light. Looking forward to a proper run out on it.

corshamjim

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2011, 08:50:21 pm »
Very nice.  I saw one (in somewhat different configuration) close up on the K&A canal last year- it looked super quality and solid as a rock.

Is it n+1 though?  That looks like n+1.5!  :)

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »
What are the chainrings ? The front looks as though its a double ? Or is that a chain guard ?
Nice machine.

« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2011, 09:02:23 pm »
Apologies, I don't know the tandem lingo, but here's how I understand it. Captain has a double crankset with a chainguard where the big ring would be and a 30t middle. Stoker has a triple, with no inner, a 30t middle that joins up with the captain, and a 50t outer. the 50t outer gos to an 18t cog on an alfine hub.

It runs really nicely, and the versa shifters work beautifully with the alfine hub - much nicer than the various twistgrip nexus 7/8 setups I've had over the years.

Went for our first decent run out on it this morning - 40km ish, with my 5 year old on the back. Averaged around 25kph without trying hard. Probably going to do the 110km R101 as our first event on it, but were taking it on a cycling holiday before then. He went to sleep without any fuss this evening, so I'm hoping he'll be putting himself to bed once we start getting out properly on it.

« Reply #7 on: 31 July, 2011, 06:28:26 pm »
A couple more pictures. Really chuffed with it so far. Can't wait to get out on a proper run. I'd wondered if all the long extensions would be flexy like a Dahon, but not at all. Goes like stink when you press on.

LindaG

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2011, 01:42:05 am »
So, what's the plan for this beauty?  Day rides out in the country?  Touring holidays?  Two years off work to travel the world?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:51:21 am »
I haz bike envy. EldestCub wants one. SmallestCub says "i could go on that Trent tiny tandem!"

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2011, 10:57:07 am »
So, what's the plan for this beauty?  Day rides out in the country?  Touring holidays?  Two years off work to travel the world?

First thing will be a yha based cycling holibob. However, my 5yr old has been envious of the badges I've been collecting, and wants to do a "through the night ride". Mother will require reassurance that he's happy on a 100, 200... and so on before we do anything really silly. Going to to a 100km together in September. and take it from there.

I haz bike envy. EldestCub wants one. SmallestCub says "i could go on that Trent tiny tandem!"

At the back, tt does go really small (it's too small for my 5yr old on the shortest crank / lowest saddle setting) to really big (lots of adjustment left for me [190cm]). You would get a lot of years out of one  :demon:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:03:51 am »
But I really can't afford one, or a new house with enough space to store one! It looks like a fab solution to all sorts of cycling situations. EldestCub was working out all sorts of combinations of riders :) And it should, of course, have been "teeny tiny tandem" - stoopid predictive text on phone!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:14:26 am »
Aw, but the small wheels make it so much more practical about the house than a normal tandem...

« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:25:10 am »
Indeed - fits in the back of the car with just the front wheel removed, and goes on a normal bike rack.

We'll probably bring it to Mildenhall if you/cubs want a nosey.

Ooh - and the front drops way down too. An Eldestcub & Smallest cub combo would be awesome. Get the short forks, pop a short stem and flat bars on, lose the spacers, and slide the stem down the pillar, and its job done.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:26:46 am »
Indeed - fits in the back of the car with just the front wheel removed, and goes on a normal bike rack.

Cor, you can probably even get it on a train with less than the usual amount of effort...

« Reply #15 on: 01 August, 2011, 01:02:07 pm »
We had to stop for caek. Caek and milkshakes

« Reply #16 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:32:12 pm »
Did 30km today, 5km behind a guy on a Bianchi at  up to 40kph (but not over, if my wife is reading). Me and mini-mekon1 were in civies, and he pulled alongside in team strip and said 'nice bike' before shooting off. I can't be sure he was trying to drop us, but he kept looking around, then going faster. When we arrived at the junction where we parted, he said "they're quick then?". We were pleased.

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #17 on: 07 August, 2011, 06:31:42 am »
Did 30km today, 5km behind a guy on a Bianchi at  up to 40kph (but not over, if my wife is reading). Me and mini-mekon1 were in civies, and he pulled alongside in team strip and said 'nice bike' before shooting off. I can't be sure he was trying to drop us, but he kept looking around, then going faster. When we arrived at the junction where we parted, he said "they're quick then?". We were pleased.
   :thumbsup: excellent stuff
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #18 on: 07 August, 2011, 11:14:16 am »
So now you just need to train your stoker in the art of nonchalantly waving as you drop the roadies on the hills ;) I do believe that Tiermat's TLD has form for this whilst on the trailerbike!

« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2011, 07:54:36 pm »
Just back from 5 days @ Blaxhall YHA. Did 140km at an average 15kph. Went fossil hunting at Ramsholt, crabbing and visiting the castle in Orford, another castle at Framlingham, a trip to Sutton Hoo, then a boat trip at Snape Maltings.

Lots of fun. Tandem was flawless.