Author Topic: 2012 Mersey Roads 24TT  (Read 39500 times)

TOBY

• hello
Re: 2012 Mersey Roads 24TT
« Reply #25 on: 30 June, 2012, 10:44:49 am »
I'm riding this year and have got a ChrisN doing support, unfortunately he's only available from 7pm so I'm keen to join together to get me help for the first 5/6hours and then add Chris to the crew pool for the night. Chris did support for me last year so knows what he's doing . . . he says  ;)

I've half mentioned this to Ian in the facebook realm, but here is probably better for general consumption.

8)

« Reply #26 on: 01 July, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »
I've entered (my first 24) and a clubmate (who is not on YACF but who did 425 miles when he did the 24 in the 70's) has kindly offered to support me. 

I'm hoping that I can make his efforts worthwhile as I've not ridden as much this year and my first 25 mile TT of the year, this morning, was over five minutes off where I was at the end of last season.  I'm doing the 100 mile National Championships next weekend.  Not aiming for a time (I may well come last) but it's on the same course as the 24 so I'm using it to recce the roads.  Then I've got a 50 the following weekend, and I'll squeeze in one or two midweek 10s. 

Look forward to seeing some familiar faces up there.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #27 on: 04 July, 2012, 10:52:22 pm »
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #28 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »
Some problem with formatting or something leaves George, Marina Bloom and others sitting in a mess at the top, on the time trialling forum.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2012, 12:13:52 am »
I see that Ben Rockett, who set the LEJOGLE record a couple of years ago, is racing.  I wonder what he'll do?  How will John Warnock fare in his first veteran year?  I believe Ultan's going for a big total, will he make it?

I almost want to go over to spectate.  In fact, I'm only on the forum at midnight to practice my 24h sleep deprivation  :-\

« Reply #30 on: 05 July, 2012, 12:21:42 am »
I see that Ben Rockett, who set the LEJOGLE record a couple of years ago, is racing.  I wonder what he'll do?  How will John Warnock fare in his first veteran year?  I believe Ultan's going for a big total, will he make it?

I almost want to go over to spectate.  In fact, I'm only on the forum at midnight to practice my 24h sleep deprivation  :-\

They always want Marshals, come and join us at Espley.
Valerio Zamboni from Monaco seems to be the most exotic. He seems to be competing in the world cup of ultracycling. http://www.ultracycling.com/sections/competitions/ultracup/
There's footage from the start of RAAM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y33SxSQr5Dg
He should join the VTTA.
http://ultracycling.com/sections/standings/my_standings.php?member_id=5911&year=2012
Ciao Valerio.

« Reply #31 on: 07 July, 2012, 08:48:05 pm »
Just a thought: seems like there are quite a few YACFers up for this entertainment. Would it make sense for support crews to join up, to support each other as well as us riders?

Mrs eck will be there, hopefully bodach's pal Mike, perhaps Mr & Mrs Megajoules, and that nice Mr Jogler fancies his chances of spending another night with Mrs eck.  ???

Just thinking it might help the time pass, and spread the load a bit. What does the team think? :)

From my point of view as a rider without backup, it would be good if there was a feed station or two, especially on the night section. Support for unsuported riders has been on the decline since I sarted riding 24 hr TTs.
I don't know how many others will be without backup. Robert Watson I expect, who usualy rides with his saddlebag.
There will probably be the bag drop to Prees Heath again.

I think it might make sense for support teams to all chip in together, if done right. Ideally, you want to see your support at least every half hour. That allows for one food pick up and one drink pick up every hour. It'd definitely be better for riders. Most of the traffic, especially at night, seems to be support teams.

It is tricky to identify riders at night. If we have a large support team, it could be done the other way around. Set up a feed stations with signs saying what you are handing up and offer it to anyone who wants it.
The official bag drop will not hand up food or bottles to riders like they did when I began riding 24s. Elf'n'safety killed that off.
If we're handing stuff up, each rider may need to fill in the support car form at the start. Hopefully blackburnrod will be along to put us right if the idea does catch on.

I see that Chris Hopkinson is on the start list too.

Good to see pretty much a full field, which is quite rare in a TT these days, I believe.

Bairn Again

« Reply #32 on: 08 July, 2012, 10:03:36 am »
Im riding unsupported but I understand from Eck that Jogler will hold some stuff for me in his car (bottles, night garb, grub) at Prees which is about as much as I'll need.

Talking of which, better get out on the TT bike now and make sure its set up OK.

y lee g. 

(# 92)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #33 on: 08 July, 2012, 12:19:34 pm »
Im riding unsupported but I understand from Eck that Jogler will hold some stuff for me in his car (bottles, night garb, grub) at Prees which is about as much as I'll need.

y lee g. 

(# 92)

That's correct.
No problem. I'll meet you at HQ before "the off" to sort your stuff into my car.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 09 July, 2012, 10:43:26 am »
From my point of view as a rider without backup, it would be good if there was a feed station or two, especially on the night section. Support for unsuported riders has been on the decline since I sarted riding 24 hr TTs.
I don't know how many others will be without backup. Robert Watson I expect, who usualy rides with his saddlebag.
There will probably be the bag drop to Prees Heath again.
There was very good food on the night leg (at Espley, if I've got my islands right - so twice a lap). But no water, I don't know why.
(Water isn't a big problem at night, as a bottle (or two) every lap at the Prees cafe tap is sufficient).

It would be nice to get confirmation of 'official' arrangements such as the  (invisible) bag-drop at Prees Heath. i keep meaning to email 'rod...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #35 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:18:03 am »
Hi,
I'm on the start sheet too, #34, as a recent convert to audax, I thought this would be the only CC Weymouth Club record I could ever get - (it's currently vacant, so all i have to do get it, is finish  :) ) so entering seemed like a good idea at the time.

i've got a friend in a silver kangoo van RY06 BBX doing support, and he'll have spare water and food if anyone sees it in a moment of need... if anyone wants anything carrying, just ask.

2 questions (for now  :)) does anyone have a gpx of the course i could look at? and what time do people start arriving at the HQ on Saturday?

Andrew.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:29:02 am »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #37 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:39:57 am »
Anyone else staying at Wrexham Travelimbo on the friday?

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #38 on: 09 July, 2012, 06:14:42 pm »
Map and other stuffs:

Thanks, that's great.

« Reply #39 on: 09 July, 2012, 06:40:15 pm »
(Water isn't a big problem at night, as a bottle (or two) every lap at the Prees cafe tap is sufficient).

I've heard that there's also a tap at the petrol garage at Tern Hill roundabout. I certainly have seen riders around that garage on the night section.
I've never used it myself and have always used the water at Prees Island.
That could be handy for support crews to know, but I'd find out if it's true first. Garges often (but not always) have water taps.

« Reply #40 on: 09 July, 2012, 08:40:00 pm »
Have others had the start sheet through in the post yet?  I'm on the list on the TT forum but not received any other info.

I went up there to do the 100 yesterday which is on the same roads (60%+ of them, anyway) and I really liked the course.  It's also good to be able to visualise all the place names (Prees Island, etc). 

Mostly it is smooth tarmac.  There are a couple of stretches near to the southern end of the long section down towards Telford which are worn but not dangerous and there are a couple of potholes on what is otherwise a good surface on both sides of the roads about a mile west of Ternhill which would be unpleasant or worse if you hit them in the dark.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 10 July, 2012, 08:18:15 am »
Mostly it is smooth tarmac.  There are a couple of stretches near to the southern end of the long section down towards Telford which are worn but not dangerous and there are a couple of potholes on what is otherwise a good surface on both sides of the roads about a mile west of Ternhill which would be unpleasant or worse if you hit them in the dark.
Thanks Frank. Sounds just like the last 2 times i rode.

(It would take enormous bad luck to hit those potholes, as you get to recce them a couple of times in the daylight. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jes

« Reply #42 on: 11 July, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »
Anyone else staying at Wrexham Travelimbo on the friday?

Yep. Gurl Trikie (No 7)  reporting for duty

« Reply #43 on: 11 July, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »

I'll try and stay ahead of you for at least a mile or so!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 11 July, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »
There are 6 SR holders (and gawd knows how many PBP* finishes!) in the first 9 starters. We should stop for a cake stop after 100k.

*should I wear my gilet? Hmmm ... I might get flashbacks .
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jes

« Reply #45 on: 11 July, 2012, 05:58:39 pm »
There are 6 SR holders (and gawd knows how many PBP* finishes!) in the first 9 starters. We should stop for a cake stop after 100k.

*should I wear my gilet? Hmmm ... I might get flashbacks .

CAIK....calling FBOAB!!

There are nine PBPs between my support crew. (Assasin and Ploddingpedro)
The biggest challenge may well be keeping Assasin out of the Raven Cafe long enough to chuck a bottle and a jaffa cake at me occasionally. ;) ;D

I'm looking forward to this event in a sick sort of way...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #46 on: 11 July, 2012, 06:59:43 pm »
I'm looking forward to this event in a sick sort of way...
+1

When I suggested YACFers got together to co-ordinate helpers, I wasn't thinking of anything so sophisticated as Teethgrinder proposed. I was just thinking that it might relieve the tedium for our helpers if they could congregate at the same spot at Prees so they could gather round a virtual camp fire and keep their spirits up with the odd chorus of Kum Ba Ya. Anyone up for that?

I'll be ably assisted by nice Mr Jogler and Mrs eck, as will Y Lee G, and the Bodach-McNasty tandem duo. I imagine Jogler  will have his HBFO Volvo as our HQ. Anyone short of support is welcome to join in.

We are staying on Friday night at the Chester South Holiday Inn, so are Bodach and McNasty (but not all in the same room)

And, finally, Mrs eck will be bringing CAIK.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #47 on: 11 July, 2012, 07:09:22 pm »
Prees Island always has a crowd. With 100 riders and all the suporters, there should be a good atmosphere on this event.

Mc Nasty in a Holiday Inn! :o

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 11 July, 2012, 09:39:29 pm »
Its enough of a job to co-ordinate your own support team, but they will as always be instructed to assist any other riders, as and when they can.

Clapping, cheering and a bit of light-hearted abuse is good too ;D

Cakes will be baked next week :thumbsup:

« Reply #49 on: 11 July, 2012, 10:54:12 pm »
The EWCC team should have two support vehicles, though only one person in each. I expect they'll introduce themselves with a view to concocting a Cunning Plan.