Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625850 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8925 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:30:17 am »
Was carving away happily at a guitar headstock this morning when a little pink maggot came strolling along the top of the neck. Pearwood is pink => maggot was woodworm.

I now have to inspect all my stock - a dozen planks of pearwood, a few chunks of mahogany and one pricey slab of ebony - and see how far the wee bastards have got.

Happy Fathers' Day. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8926 on: 18 June, 2017, 06:19:44 pm »
None of it, er, em, sapient I hope?

« Reply #8927 on: 18 June, 2017, 09:29:23 pm »
None of it, er, em, sapient I hope?
;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8928 on: 18 June, 2017, 10:40:56 pm »
It's too hot to live, let alone sleep.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8929 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:20:49 pm »
One hour on the bike today, 1.25 l fluid, came home, showered, continued leaking like sieve, needed a flannel to mop my face and neck.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8930 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:30:58 pm »
All the windows are open. The door is open. Two fans whirling on full power. It's twentybloodynine degrees Swedish Astronomer in here. If one more dolt walks in, grins, and sez "warm enough for ya?" I am going to beat them to death with my stapler.

If I can muster the energy to do so, that is.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #8931 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
The AC is making the office a little chilly...

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8932 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:56:56 pm »
Git!
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #8933 on: 19 June, 2017, 02:28:52 pm »
Sitting out on my shady balcony and eating a chilled fruit salad isn't so bad. It's not helping with my productivity. It's really not the sort of day to be sweating over a hot laptop and writing about API use cases. Mind you, I've yet to discover the sort of day to write about API use cases. I don't think that sort of day exists.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8934 on: 19 June, 2017, 02:33:49 pm »
Sitting out on my shady balcony and eating a chilled fruit salad isn't so bad. It's not helping with my productivity

I'm starting to go off some people

Hmph

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #8935 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:00:05 pm »
If it makes you feel any better Guy I have about 2 cubic metres of topsoil to move. I am waiting for the sun to shift behind the neighbour's Leylandii before I start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8936 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:04:00 pm »
All the windows are open. The door is open. Two fans whirling on full power. It's twentybloodynine degrees Swedish Astronomer in here. If one more dolt walks in, grins, and sez "warm enough for ya?" I am going to beat them to death with my stapler.

If I can muster the energy to do so, that is.
Wet a towel or cloth and drape it in front of the fan. #goodenoughfortheraj
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

« Reply #8937 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:31:26 pm »
My box of an office currently at 29C according to Garmin (but also 10m below sea level) , no fan, but back door and windows open.  Sun no longer coming in directly though which is a bonus.

At least being at home I can sit all day in a pair of shorts without attracting adverse attention

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8938 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:42:52 pm »
And, predictably, the water is now off.

ian

« Reply #8939 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:56:49 pm »
My box of an office currently at 29C according to Garmin (but also 10m below sea level) , no fan, but back door and windows open.  Sun no longer coming in directly though which is a bonus.

At least being at home I can sit all day in a pair of shorts without attracting adverse attention

Rather astonishingly, other than a bout of strimming several gardens away earlier, the usual symphony of power tools, building, and gardening work that kicks off every time the British sun deigns to come out and raise the temperature above lukewarm is still in abeyance. No one has even lit a bonfire yet. That said, I've no doubt there will be a nuclear pall of smoke across the valley from several hundred bbqs later as people prepare to spend tomorrow worshiping at the Throne of Porcelain Relief.

I may have to retrieve the fan from the garage though, as the upstairs of the house is rather toasty and last night was sticky icky.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8940 on: 19 June, 2017, 04:52:18 pm »

Bugger.  Today is not a good day for not showering.
Hope you filled the kettle.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8941 on: 19 June, 2017, 05:20:08 pm »

Bugger.  Today is not a good day for not showering.
Hope you filled the kettle.

GN: Water is back on.  Kettle and bath filled.

BN: After lots of archaeological style ferreting around with a trowel, they've been away and returned with a length of sewage pipe and an angle grinder.

ian

« Reply #8942 on: 19 June, 2017, 05:41:20 pm »
Thus the strimming begins. I've a good mind to go out and there and strim the fucker's head right off and then barbeque the offending item before feeding it to dogs. It's frankly the only way these cunts will learn that I don't want to spend a sunny evening listening to their Flymo serenade.

« Reply #8943 on: 19 June, 2017, 05:51:30 pm »
Same feelings for the hedge cutters, which ideally should not be undertaken until Aug/September.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8944 on: 19 June, 2017, 05:53:58 pm »
Whilst it is laudable to build an eco-office, what is most distinctly un-good is the fact that the building has two temperatures, those being freezing fucking cold or boiling fucking hot! I now smell like a tramp's vest!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ElyDave

« Reply #8945 on: 19 June, 2017, 06:02:43 pm »
Whilst it is laudable to build an eco-office, what is most distinctly un-good is the fact that the building has two temperatures, those being freezing fucking cold or boiling fucking hot! I now smell like a tramp's vest!!!!

Ditto my office, back of what used to be a garage, no effective temp control, just a window or a jumper.

Thus the strimming begins. I've a good mind to go out and there and strim the fucker's head right off and then barbeque the offending item before feeding it to dogs. It's frankly the only way these cunts will learn that I don't want to spend a sunny evening listening to their Flymo serenade.

I can't see what they're needing to mow - I did mine last weekend, looked at it yesterday and it's hardly grown

ian

« Reply #8946 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:27:20 pm »
Gardens are pretty wild around here, which is why we have bears. In fact, the culprit has stopped strimming now and since I did not kill them, I assume the bears did. Free jam sandwiches for my ursine friends.

My office is a mezzanine extension on the side of the house, the roof contiguous with the main house roof, and of course, when we had everything refurbished had the ceiling re-insulated with whatever the latest is in plasterboard technology and the gaps stuffed full of glass fibre. Alas, this seems to mean it gets hotter. The problem is that it's the side of the house, so the main wall is in full sun for three quarters of the day. On the plus side, it has a shady balcony over the back garden/driveway which is my outdoor office and prime cat sleeping zone.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8947 on: 20 June, 2017, 08:14:11 am »
... what is most distinctly un-good is the fact that the building has two temperatures, those being freezing fucking cold or boiling fucking hot!

Sounds like our 1950's US DoD glorified Banbury garages with corrugated alumimiunumum rooves. They may well have been plenty good enough for the USAF Air Police, but we is moar civilised and require habitat fit for human consu inhabitation. Do we get it? Do we <summat rude> >:(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8948 on: 20 June, 2017, 10:52:29 am »
And here someone has decided to turn the aircon off. Twat.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #8949 on: 20 June, 2017, 12:03:36 pm »
Those loud cars with a sound system held hostage in the boot. BBBBBMMMM MmmmMMMMM BBbbbbBBB bzzz rattle rattle BBBBBBBMMMMM echoing down the valley. Firstly, whatever the music is, it's always shit. Secondly, it sounds like the car is in the process of falling to bits like the sad lad clown car it so evidently is.

Also don't fucking spin your wheels when you accelerate. The only thing that will go faster is the decline of your car into scrap.

Can anyone handy with a soldering iron help me adapt a tomahawk cruise missile to home in on sound?