Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625715 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16400 on: 18 July, 2023, 05:08:04 pm »
Amazon supplier issue . . . - or is it some sort of scam?

I ordered a jacket (exactly the same as one I already have, but a different colour so I know what I'm buying) from Amazon Marketplace at a keen price - seller fulfilled, not from an Amazon mega-shed.  The order was acknowledged as normal by Amazon and then "despatch confirmed" by the seller the following day with Royal Mail, but no tracking details.

Almost 2 weeks later no sign of delivery . . . .  digging around in the Amazon site it appears the seller has a rating of only 80% (OK, I should have looked) . . .  with all but a couple of the 1 and 2 star reviews saying delivery was never made (and some difficulty in getting refunds)

Given the volume of non-deliveries I'm beginning to wonder if this is some sort of scam?   Either people not pursuing refunds ? OR (and this is a bit off the wall) using the "order to refund period" to support cash-flow with customers' money?   Or what?

It's not in any way mission-critical but is just a PITA - if it doesn't appear I'm sure I'll get the money back from Amazon.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16401 on: 19 July, 2023, 09:53:13 am »
Hah! I've been trying to return a pair of cycling gloves to Amazon for the last week.  The only means they'll give me is to photograph a bar code and take it to a UPS pickup point where they will helpfully print the dispatch label and do up the parcel for me.

Except that none of the UPS agents in the neighbourhood yet has the special printer to do it and when I attempt to find one so equipped via UPS's site they can't even find the place where I live.

Return deadline is Monday so I've WTF'd it, Amazon can have my 30€. Which is what the buggers wanted all along.

In general, this has been a frustrating day so far.  I need to shove an August hospital emmerdement back to November but they won't give me an out-patient appointment so far in advance so they want to hospitalize me, and the place I've ordered my new bike motor from aren't picking up.  The hospital thing is to implant a subcutaneous holter and since I'll be riding and sweating like a pig I don't want to risk infection but it looks like I'm going to have to.  I'm hundreds of km behind on my plans for this year.  And sick of hearing "be reasonable" & similar irritating platitudes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16402 on: 20 July, 2023, 05:57:01 pm »
Why is Tesco advertising 'Back to school' shit on the wireless?
Most schools have not yet broken up for the summer.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16403 on: 20 July, 2023, 06:31:13 pm »
Quote from: Jurek
Wild guess?  Many parents are so strapped for cash they have to spread the cost of buying all the new kit required for growing kids over 2 or 3 months and Tesco know this.  Only a guess mark you.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #16404 on: 20 July, 2023, 06:43:57 pm »
Because they want to be advertising Christmas next week?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16405 on: 20 July, 2023, 07:34:54 pm »

"Back to School" has always started about a nanosecond into the holidays, in order to demoralise any pupils who are being dragged round the shops.

« Reply #16406 on: 20 July, 2023, 08:33:15 pm »
Today's grumble is that Slough police are as much use as a chocolate teapot with a hole in it  ::-).
Having a doctors appointment this morning I was riding though Slough when coming the other way was my missing sun ez 3 recumbent. The rider turned out to be a Romanian lad who had found it dumped outside the dentist in Slough and decided to rehome it  ::-).  It quickly became apparent that he genuinely thought that it was a abandoned cycle. He happily rode to the police station with where I reported the trike recovered. He the police what he had done and they made him aware that he should not take anything from private or public property that was not his and sign a Statement confirming that he now understands this. He then rode the trike back to my house before walking off.
Today's was the first time I had ridden as far as Slough high street since I had struggled painfully out to report the trike missing. Both occasions it's gone missing I have though my own efforts been able to recover it. There are many more police driving and walking around Slough over the last couple of weeks and the lad been using quite often. Either the he was incredibly lucky or the police were just not looking  >:(
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16407 on: 20 July, 2023, 09:54:28 pm »

'Twas ever thus. I remember sseing all the 'Back to School' merchandise on Sale at Woolworth's before the end of term, when I was at primary school.

To be fair, our Scottish friends are back at school mid-August.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16408 on: 20 July, 2023, 09:56:22 pm »
Because they want to be advertising Christmas next week?
Christmas starts first week of September, though Harrod's start in August...

« Reply #16409 on: 20 July, 2023, 10:03:54 pm »
Today's grumble is that Slough police are as much use as a chocolate teapot with a hole in it  ::-).
Having a doctors appointment this morning I was riding though Slough when coming the other way was my missing sun ez 3 recumbent. The rider turned out to be a Romanian lad who had found it dumped outside the dentist in Slough and decided to rehome it  ::-).  It quickly became apparent that he genuinely thought that it was a abandoned cycle. He happily rode to the police station with where I reported the trike recovered. He the police what he had done and they made him aware that he should not take anything from private or public property that was not his and sign a Statement confirming that he now understands this. He then rode the trike back to my house before walking off.
Today's was the first time I had ridden as far as Slough high street since I had struggled painfully out to report the trike missing. Both occasions it's gone missing I have though my own efforts been able to recover it. There are many more police driving and walking around Slough over the last couple of weeks and the lad been using quite often. Either the he was incredibly lucky or the police were just not looking  >:(

Glad to hear you got it back!

« Reply #16410 on: 21 July, 2023, 07:27:17 am »
 :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16411 on: 21 July, 2023, 07:49:43 am »
To be fair, our Scottish friends are back at school mid-August.

Ditto Norn Iron. I can still remember our headmaster saying at the end of my first year in primary school "...and you'll not be back until the 23rd of August".  A whole 6 weeks holiday we had, when I came back I had the Wicked Witch of the West for a teacher. She kept a cane in the corner and used it, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16412 on: 21 July, 2023, 10:25:10 am »

Really glad you've got your bike back.

Does the efficiency of the Slough police mean they have now arrested the dentist?  <smiley>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16413 on: 21 July, 2023, 10:35:12 am »
Result!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And good on the Romanian lad for going to the police with you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16414 on: 22 July, 2023, 06:31:50 pm »
I wish my hearing aids  had more adjustable range when they’re Bluetoothed to devices. American TV and film audio is especially unbalanced wrt voice vs effects and this I get completely deafened when I have my internal volume loud enough to,hear the dialogue.

Yes, I do recognise the irony of a deaf person complaining of being deafened.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16415 on: 22 July, 2023, 07:11:47 pm »
I wish my hearing aids  had more adjustable range when they’re Bluetoothed to devices. American TV and film audio is especially unbalanced wrt voice vs effects and this I get completely deafened when I have my internal volume loud enough to,hear the dialogue.

Deaf and hard of hearing (HOH) people are more likely to have issues of this kind:
* We have reduced dynamic range through hearing aids compared to natural hearing.
* Many of us experience something called 'recruitment' which is a narrower band between quietest sound we can hear and the pain threshold of sound...

Modern hearing aids try to do Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) but honestly, it sounds like shit. I usually prefer to have DRC off/minimised and ride the volume switch.

I think even hearing people with decent sound setups are saying that modern programmes seem to have TERRIBLE sound mixing with the speech too quiet and everything else too fucking loud.

If you're technically inclined (and the tech/prog support it) you might want to look at breaking out the sound into one of those 5:1 setups or whatever its called (someone nerdy can use the right words pedantically at me downthread) so that you could remix it relatively and put your hearing aid audio into the remixed output with the right combo of gizmos and effort... (Effort).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16416 on: 22 July, 2023, 10:26:49 pm »

It ain't just you, I get f7cking annoyed at having to constantly jibble the volume for dialogue vs action vs ads
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16417 on: 22 July, 2023, 10:44:46 pm »
Agree. Another reason why I sometimes use the subtitles.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16418 on: 22 July, 2023, 10:53:10 pm »
I find subtitles distracting, I read them rather than watching the action.  And on news bulletins, they never keep up with the speech
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16419 on: 23 July, 2023, 01:21:28 pm »

Deaf and hard of hearing (HOH) people are more likely to have issues of this kind:
* We have reduced dynamic range through hearing aids compared to natural hearing.
* Many of us experience something called 'recruitment' which is a narrower band between quietest sound we can hear and the pain threshold of sound...

Modern hearing aids try to do Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) but honestly, it sounds like shit. I usually prefer to have DRC off/minimised and ride the volume switch.

I think even hearing people with decent sound setups are saying that modern programmes seem to have TERRIBLE sound mixing with the speech too quiet and everything else too fucking loud.

If you're technically inclined (and the tech/prog support it) you might want to look at breaking out the sound into one of those 5:1 setups or whatever its called (someone nerdy can use the right words pedantically at me downthread) so that you could remix it relatively and put your hearing aid audio into the remixed output with the right combo of gizmos and effort... (Effort).
One of the issues of being HOH as opposed to being deaf is that I’m very much on the periphery of the deaf community and not seen as ‘disabled’ by most abled people. As a consequence the support I’ve received over the years has been incredibly patchy and most of the knowledge I have about my condition is a result of technical curiosity. I think I knew most of what you said, but hadn’t thought it because moaning is easier  :facepalm:

As to the 5:1 setup, I’ve thought of this in the past to overcome the problems sans HAs, but lounge tech must pass the spousal test, and HiFi has fallen foul of this in the past. Admittedly speakers and speaker cables were involved last time I tried it. I will have to look into 5:1 processors though I think I’ll be looking at high end kit if I want a fibre output for post processed mixing. And that will fall foul of the financial controller. Sometimes being married can be restrictive ::-)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16420 on: 23 July, 2023, 03:26:47 pm »
<Snip>
One of the issues of being HOH as opposed to being deaf is that I’m very much on the periphery of the deaf community and not seen as ‘disabled’ by most abled people. As a consequence the support I’ve received over the years has been incredibly patchy and most of the knowledge I have about my condition is a result of technical curiosity. I think I knew most of what you said, but hadn’t thought it because moaning is easier  :facepalm:

I think that's very common for HOHers to feel less understood and 'seen' as people who are dis-abled by society around them. You hear enough to feel like you're not "legit deaf enough" while experiencing a lot of the same challenges of more deaf people. One of the good things about social media starting more discussions is more people realising "no one feels deaf enough" and even with a spectrum of deafness/impact, we have more in common than not, therefore should collaborate more.

In my work, I find the "less auditorily deaf" people are often the most dis-abled in everyday life because they are not perceived as properly deaf "just a little hard of hearing" and no one teaches HOH people that even a little deafness is very different from having normal hearing (and indeed that people with normal hearing often struggle too in certain situations). Those people who like myself clearly can't hear for shit if we take our hearing aids off, can't be perceived as hearing, have a stronger sense of identity/legitimacy in our deafness.

I know with my hearing aids in, cos I don't sound deaf, people often forget that I am deaf and get frustrated when I don't hear well, or need them to make specific effort like getting my attention first, facing me, slowing down just a little and maybe speaking a little clearer/louder...

I am unusual in that I now live with someone who has a high tolerance for the "What?" and need for maybe 30% of sentences to be repeated at times. Most people have to live with others who are less understanding. In my family home my mum was great, one sister variable and my dad and other sister were pretty bad at deaf awareness and I find even now, my mum has to re-acclimatise to me because she doesn't see me enough to have my level retained. I think it also helps that Kim is a former theatre sound tech and engineer with sound experience cos she understands technically where/why I can't hear well and that the hearing aid really is a bodge and without it, we are into sign language and accidental occasionally correct lipreading territory only.

As to the 5:1 setup, I’ve thought of this in the past to overcome the problems sans HAs, but lounge tech must pass the spousal test, and HiFi has fallen foul of this in the past. Admittedly speakers and speaker cables were involved last time I tried it. I will have to look into 5:1 processors though I think I’ll be looking at high end kit if I want a fibre output for post processed mixing. And that will fall foul of the financial controller. Sometimes being married can be restrictive ::-)

Ah, difficult. I am lucky we don't care about wires. Would Dr B be more tolerant of wires/£££ if she understood it as an accessibility thing for you? I think sometimes hearing people don't really understand that.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #16421 on: 23 July, 2023, 07:09:10 pm »
<Snip>

I think that's very common for HOHers to feel less understood and 'seen' as people who are dis-abled by society around them. You hear enough to feel like you're not "legit deaf enough" while experiencing a lot of the same challenges of more deaf people. One of the good things about social media starting more discussions is more people realising "no one feels deaf enough" and even with a spectrum of deafness/impact, we have more in common than not, therefore should collaborate more.

In my work, I find the "less auditorily deaf" people are often the most dis-abled in everyday life because they are not perceived as properly deaf "just a little hard of hearing" and no one teaches HOH people that even a little deafness is very different from having normal hearing (and indeed that people with normal hearing often struggle too in certain situations). Those people who like myself clearly can't hear for shit if we take our hearing aids off, can't be perceived as hearing, have a stronger sense of identity/legitimacy in our deafness.

I know with my hearing aids in, cos I don't sound deaf, people often forget that I am deaf and get frustrated when I don't hear well, or need them to make specific effort like getting my attention first, facing me, slowing down just a little and maybe speaking a little clearer/louder...

I am unusual in that I now live with someone who has a high tolerance for the "What?" and need for maybe 30% of sentences to be repeated at times. Most people have to live with others who are less understanding. In my family home my mum was great, one sister variable and my dad and other sister were pretty bad at deaf awareness and I find even now, my mum has to re-acclimatise to me because she doesn't see me enough to have my level retained. I think it also helps that Kim is a former theatre sound tech and engineer with sound experience cos she understands technically where/why I can't hear well and that the hearing aid really is a bodge and without it, we are into sign language and accidental occasionally correct lipreading territory only.

Ah, difficult. I am lucky we don't care about wires. Would Dr B be more tolerant of wires/£££ if she understood it as an accessibility thing for you? I think sometimes hearing people don't really understand that.

Ah, this post is seriously valuable to me, one of the HoH'ers that can't get folk to make any allowances for me, as they seem to think I'm just being stupid, or not paying attention, despite pointing out to them that my hearing is rubbish.  I love Mrs W dearly, but she just doesn't seem to grasp that she needs to talk TO ME, not just wiffle on facing the other way at the other end of our massive dining room.  And please stop asking me something as I'm just leaving the room!  Its not helped by the fact that she can hear an ant fart at 200 metres distance...
Wombat

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16422 on: 23 July, 2023, 08:59:14 pm »
<Snip>

Thanks barakta, your words are as ever insightful and helpful. I’m lucky for the most part that Dr B is a very kind and understanding person (but as an ex nurse, illnesses only ever garner 3 days sympathy) and she has for most of our lives together been very good. We do still have the occasional row when she’s snarky about me not listening and me being snarky in return in reminding her that I am actually deaf.  ::-) The biggest single niggle she has is audio ‘bleed’ from my headphones or HAs and the most frequent question is ‘do you need it that loud?’ For the most part I try to explain why I do, but as a social scientist and people person, the tech is neither of interest to her or comprehensible. 

On the buying stuff because I need it front, that’s not usually an issue, but as we’re both retired I do need to be more careful than I used to when buying stuff to ‘test’. I’m thinking I might get myself a job so I can collect a toy fund, but when I sit down the feeling goes away.  ;D

« Reply #16423 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:22:10 am »
Chewing a slightly over toasted crumpet this morning & managed to damage a filled molar.   Dentist can't fit me in until a week on Monday.  I'm hoping it can be repaired.

If you can, opt for the “ceramic” white filling. It bonds to the enamel and holds the remaining tooth together better than amalgam.

I walked in this morning & thought they were going to make me re-book the appointment as all their systems were down & they couldn't do X ray etc.  Luckily it proved to be a simple fix, replacing a bit of broken tooth rather than the filling so she didn't need to drill, just cleaned and dried the area then applied the white stuff.  Only charged me the £25.80 visit fee,  that doesn't seem right.  Perhaps I'll get a phone call later..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #16424 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:51:41 am »
What is wrong with the people I work with?
We have five re-cycling bins in the kitchen.
Each is a different colour to the next and is marked with words and pictures of what is supposed to go in them.
So today (and every day) we have:
Glass re-cycling has blue tissue in it.
Food waste has blue tissue in it.
Plastics has blue tissue in it.
Metal has blue tissue in it.
Paper and card...... I think you can probably guess   :facepalm: