Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 475978 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1950 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:37:44 pm »
Cumbria last year :P

Well it has in the Outer Hebrides :)

Great front cover and article Deano, thanks  :thumbsup:

and a great article on MacNasty too  ;D

Mine isn't here yet :)

« Reply #1951 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:57:24 pm »
To drum up -An ancient Scottish tradition of lighting a real  fire and boiling a kettle for real tea.

Have you any light to shed on the Scottish tradition for putting out a blaze?  I'm assuming it's the obvious technique involving second hand beer, tea, or indeed any fluid that has been especially filtered through any available Kidneys.  I'm sorry to say that the delights of Creamola Foam is one that has eluded me.

« Reply #1952 on: 28 April, 2016, 05:49:03 pm »
Postman Mike woke me up from my dreaded lurgi induced snooze to issue mine unto me.

Glanced at the McNasty article. What is a "drum up spot?" I've heard them mentioned before in a previous issue but have no idea what one is, not why it would require a "bonfire"...

Drum-up

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1953 on: 28 April, 2016, 07:15:39 pm »
Waiting for mine - looking forward to it!

« Reply #1954 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:05:14 pm »
Got mine today. Really enjoyed it apart from all McNasty's lies about poor old me. Cremola Foam was very popular in the sixties and a spoonful would give plain water just the right amount of flavour.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1955 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:10:57 pm »
PieEater (an occasional visitor here) and I are featured by association. We are the two London Audaxers at the beginning of Longflap's very enjoyable article.

I'm amazed that he remembered our names, let alone so much detail about the ride.  I'd forgotten about that broken chain incident, having buried large parts of that day into a deep part of my subconscious to be accessed only through psychotherapy. 

What he hasn't included was the five minutes we all spent wandering around in the dark after he had repaired the broken chain, looking for the rider's lost glove.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1956 on: 29 April, 2016, 10:20:20 am »
Mine arrived yesterday. Will settle down and read it once life has calmed down a bit. Hopefully next week!

« Reply #1957 on: 29 April, 2016, 11:28:18 am »
If you only need to boil a small amount of water then you don't need a big fire. By the time you have finished drinking and talking , the fire will be almost out . Just cover the ashes with a bit of soil.

Just skimmed through the mag whilst drinking my coffee. Looks like a really good mix of articles and photos. Well done to all involved.

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
« Reply #1958 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:31:06 pm »
hmm drumming up. co-incidently I've been considering a primus 96 for some time for this very purpose, ever since #coffeeoutdoors became a trend.

-B.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1959 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:33:18 pm »
Got mine today. Really enjoyed it apart from all McNasty's lies about poor old me. Cremola Foam was very popular in the sixties and a spoonful would give plain water just the right amount of flavour.
Flavour of what though?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1960 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:48:47 pm »
By the time you have finished drinking and talking , the fire will be almost out .

Talking?  All those people he writes about are just inside Georgie's head, you know.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #1961 on: 03 May, 2016, 01:21:49 pm »
Have you any light to shed on the Scottish tradition for putting out a blaze?

Scottish weather.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1962 on: 03 May, 2016, 05:35:07 pm »
Flavour of what though?

It's quite indescribable.   A very synthetic fruity flavour.
The closest I could think of might be those Parma Violet sweets, crushed up into a powder, with some added effervescence.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1963 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:03:02 pm »
I'm happy to give that a miss then.
Sticking with Scottishisms in that article, what is a "shilpit wee nyaff"?
I suppose a shilpit weeny must be someone who obsessively reduces the amount of shilpits on their bike, so when you say "shilpit weeny aff" you are expressing your (old skool audaxer) disdain for such new-fangled minimalism...  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1964 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:26:27 pm »

I suppose a shilpit weeny must be someone who obsessively reduces the amount of shilpits on their bike, so when you say "shilpit weeny aff" you are expressing your (old skool audaxer) disdain for such new-fangled minimalism...  :)

George is not a tall man.  As for the rest, I suspect the only clues are in the photos.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1965 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:39:13 pm »

A small, insignificant person.

« Reply #1966 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:56:08 am »
For the second time in fourteen years I feature in the pictures. I wasn't named in the picture back then, but I was a newbie. I thought that after all this time perhaps I might have been recognised but I must have an anonymous look about me. Never mind my wife was pleased that I finally made it.

« Reply #1967 on: 04 May, 2016, 09:57:02 am »
I'm in the background of one small picture, as a factotum switching someone's rear light on.

« Reply #1968 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:35:34 am »
Have you any light to shed on the Scottish tradition for putting out a blaze?

Scottish weather.

P1ssing on it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1969 on: 22 July, 2016, 12:56:52 pm »
Arrivée est parti... well, it's at the printers, at least. Should be winging its way to you all soon. Phew! To whet your appetite, here's a preview of the cover, but in spoiler tags for the benefit of those of you who enjoy a surprise on your doormat...

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1970 on: 22 July, 2016, 05:15:42 pm »
Thanks for providing anticipation, as well as the magazine! Looks great.

« Reply #1971 on: 22 July, 2016, 11:57:24 pm »
Don't worry about the bird, citoyen - it's a golden reminder of the persistent low-flying blackbirds on our rides!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1972 on: 04 August, 2016, 11:06:36 pm »
Good issue citoyen.  Nice work.

Should I be worried that I recognised mmmartin brice from his photo on the back cover?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1973 on: 08 August, 2016, 11:56:14 am »

Should I be worried that I recognised mmmartin brice from his photo on the back cover?

I am more concerned that he isn't correctly equipped - he doesn't have his AUK mudguard sticker

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1974 on: 08 August, 2016, 12:40:46 pm »

Cheers!

Maybe he's the one who should be worried...

Mike - Hopefully the updated info about stickers should ensure he is able to rectify that oversight easily!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."