Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625660 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2850 on: 30 January, 2013, 08:14:03 am »
I, too, bank with the Co-op.  So I can pay in cheques over the counter at any Post Office.  If the queues there are also bad, I post to Balloon Street.
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2851 on: 30 January, 2013, 12:20:40 pm »
Don't most banks also have little boxes inside with envelopes where you can pay in cheques without queuing?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2852 on: 30 January, 2013, 07:56:42 pm »
Milk and more: I'm trying to lose weight.
Please do not send me recipes for Nutella and banana pancakes!
At least there's nothing physically edible on, in or near my computer!

« Reply #2853 on: 30 January, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »

Really? I could probably last a week on the crumbs inside my keyboard....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2854 on: 30 January, 2013, 09:11:25 pm »

MacBook Air is slim enough not to eat much!

« Reply #2855 on: 30 January, 2013, 09:16:23 pm »

Well, eat the computer, it's an apple ain't it? ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2856 on: 30 January, 2013, 09:21:33 pm »

Well, eat the computer, it's an apple ain't it? ;)

It is but aluminium is bad for the brane, I'm told.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #2857 on: 31 January, 2013, 12:09:47 am »
"How can two reasonably intelligent women find it so hard to buy a ticket?"

I don't know exactly why the pair of you failed. The undeserving wretch that you two bitched about though, she probably squandered her meagre intelligence on such things as having some basic awareness of her approximate location, possibly having some concept of where she could expect to be two minutes hence. She's maybe mastered the art of opening doors that require the pressing of a flashing button marked 'Doors - Open'. Perhaps she can even struggle to perform all these tasks wordlessly. That's probably why she has no faculties left to 'make something of her appearance' and 'looks like she's dressed as a crisp packet.' I wonder to what state of chaos the world would descend if you two cluttered your conciousness with the self awareness necessary for getting on and off a train? How about without irritating everyone around you?
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2858 on: 31 January, 2013, 11:33:42 am »
In the unlikely event that I'm ever responsible for workplace facilities-management, there will be hand-degreaser (ideally Ecover, but Swarfega is much better than nothing) provided in all washrooms.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2859 on: 31 January, 2013, 12:21:55 pm »
In the unlikely event that I'm ever responsible for workplace facilities-management, there will be hand-degreaser (ideally Ecover, but Swarfega is much better than nothing) provided in all washrooms.

I detest the crappy excuse for liquid 'soap' in our loos.

I generally detest liquid soap anyway, especially anything moisturising, but this really sucks - it won't wash Brylcreem off your hands. Or biro.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2860 on: 31 January, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »
Websites that have a "contact us" email address - that no bugger monitors  >:(  What is the point!!!  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2861 on: 31 January, 2013, 01:01:23 pm »
Or companies whose websites have an "email us" link, that takes you to a page to fill in a web form with no email address in sight.

If I want to email a company, I want to use email - which also allows me to be able to keep a copy of what I've sent, and when, for my records.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2862 on: 31 January, 2013, 01:04:13 pm »
Those contact forms usually require a phone number.  And very often the contact, when if it actually comes, is by phone.  If I want to contact a business by phone, I'm perfectly capable of doing so, probably at a time which I deem to be at least moderately convenient.  If I'm contacting them textually, that's what I'd prefer by way of a reply...

I assume this becomes even more annoying if you're avoiding the phone due to disability rather than just preference.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2863 on: 31 January, 2013, 01:09:13 pm »

See also Thee Pubbe that I would run if I could.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2864 on: 31 January, 2013, 01:14:31 pm »
Dear The BBC.  Please get a grip when doing conversion from Imperial to new fangled mectrickery.

Yesterday's news website had an article where a graveyard was under "2 inches of water (5.08cm)".

Really?

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2865 on: 31 January, 2013, 01:17:50 pm »
Those 200 microns make all the difference!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2866 on: 31 January, 2013, 01:23:16 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n2HeHfVSybo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/n2HeHfVSybo&rel=1</a>

"Isn't that the kind of error which caused a space probe to do a controlled flight into terrain on Mars?"

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2867 on: 31 January, 2013, 05:51:13 pm »
Those contact forms usually require a phone number.  And very often the contact, when if it actually comes, is by phone.  If I want to contact a business by phone, I'm perfectly capable of doing so, probably at a time which I deem to be at least moderately convenient.  If I'm contacting them textually, that's what I'd prefer by way of a reply...

I assume this becomes even more annoying if you're avoiding the phone due to disability rather than just preference.

I usually put 0000 000 0000 in contact forms which require a number as I'm damned if I'm giving them one.  Kim's alternative suggestion was one of those non-allocatable ranges (http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/numbering/guidance-tele-no/numbers-for-drama) from Ofcom...

I am going to spork Vision Express tomorrow as I booked an appt online but they never emailed me within the one business day they promised and I didn't have time to go in before the date I'd asked for. So I'll go in in person and complain while I'm in town tomorrow.  I SPECIFICALLY booked online cos I did not want to have to do person or phone - I wonder what the excuse will be from the local store.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2868 on: 31 January, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »
Dear The BBC.  Please get a grip when doing conversion from Imperial to new fangled mectrickery.

Yesterday's news website had an article where a graveyard was under "2 inches of water (5.08cm)".

Really?

Oh, we get that nonsense all the time.
We're a Merkin company, in the oil industry:

Pressure ratings ( in advertising blurb ):
"The New Super-Do-Hicky is pressure rated to 25,000psi ( 172368.93 kPa )!"

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2869 on: 31 January, 2013, 09:29:20 pm »
Am well known for washing my trousers with snot rags still in the pockets. Surpassed myself this time though, there was an entire packet of tissues in my ski jacket  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2870 on: 31 January, 2013, 09:31:49 pm »
Oh, I washed some orange cardboard at the weekend, but it (unusually) came out intact.

I'll make a note to use that program for cycling caps in future :)

« Reply #2871 on: 01 February, 2013, 01:57:16 pm »
What's all this 'man hug', 'man flu' etc stuff? Apart from the original meaning of 'man flu' (i.e. minor cold blown up into a drama), it adds nothing, & in some cases reads to me as if it's meant to imply that there's something not quite right about a man doing or being or having whatever follows the word 'man', e.g. as if men just hugging, without the modifier, is a suspicious activity.

What next? "Ginger flu"? "Black person hug"? "Tall woman love & kisses"?  >:(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2872 on: 01 February, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »

I usually put 0000 000 0000 in contact forms which require a number as I'm damned if I'm giving them one.  Kim's alternative suggestion was one of those non-allocatable ranges (http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/numbering/guidance-tele-no/numbers-for-drama) from Ofcom...

I am going to spork Vision Express tomorrow as I booked an appt online but they never emailed me within the one business day they promised and I didn't have time to go in before the date I'd asked for. So I'll go in in person and complain while I'm in town tomorrow.  I SPECIFICALLY booked online cos I did not want to have to do person or phone - I wonder what the excuse will be from the local store.

See my rants, passim, regarding cow-orkers and the use of phone as opposed to IM or Email. >:(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2873 on: 01 February, 2013, 02:20:11 pm »
What next? "Ginger flu"? "Black person hug"? "Tall woman love & kisses"?  >:(

Here, have a nice cup of lesbian tea...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2874 on: 01 February, 2013, 02:22:06 pm »
My right arm, why wait until I get home (I was on the drive, had just stopped to open the garage door) before hurting? You now hurt like billy-oh and I am not a happy bunny.

At least you did wait until then so you didn't ruin the rest of the ride, but still, pack it in, ok? It's not funny anymore :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State