Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625671 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4600 on: 16 March, 2014, 09:01:11 pm »
Depression and gastric reflux have sneaked up on me this evening. I have not had a lot of sleep over the past few nights and now I cannot settle. Zopiclone  for me tonight    :(
the slower you go the more you see

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4601 on: 16 March, 2014, 10:14:59 pm »
But my main grumble is at the miserable sod of a bus driver - I was walking to the shop and saw him getting out to shift the barriers, so I stopped to give him a hand and clear a path.

Grumpy old bastard didn't even say thank you ::-) It's probably part of the training, along with waiting until the cyclist's alongside you before pulling out, and refusing to give change for a fiver.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AobZe6iT9kY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/AobZe6iT9kY&rel=1</a>

;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4602 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:57:21 am »
Shivery, tired, runny nose, sore throat. Marvellous.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #4603 on: 17 March, 2014, 10:37:52 am »
I should have known when I fixed the puncture that the tube of glue sitting in the bowl had been there for a long while and would no longer work reliably.

Quelle nuisance. On the upside, while I had the wheel out I removed about half a kilo of accumulated muck from inside the mudguard, and took the front wheel out to do the same at that end, so when I sort out the puncture today the steed will be lighter (and cleaner!)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #4604 on: 18 March, 2014, 11:47:08 am »
Frikkin plumber.   Arse in gear, get over here. 

If he doesn't show today then he's blown out.  That's a week of work he will lose but more importantly, it causes us issues re our internal insulation installation.

He has let me down two days on the bounce.   It's not like I couldn't be elsewhere earning money.   

< very pissed off >

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4605 on: 18 March, 2014, 02:48:49 pm »
My stomach feels all wibbly and bleurgh :(

3/4 bag of Starburst might have something to do with it :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4606 on: 18 March, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »
Sustrans. Urban cyclists trying to get somewhere appears to be an unknown concept to you I observe, but really you have surpassed even yourselves with NCN1 into Edinburgh.

A junction straight off of a busy road with an acute angle, sharp rise and anti-cycle gate; A stepped ramped rail bridge and a set of pedestrian railings across the signed route all within a couple miles. Wonderful! :facepalm:

And the less said about the two sets of diversions in Dalkeith the better.

Shame, as it was a nice ride up until then

fuzzy

« Reply #4607 on: 19 March, 2014, 09:26:43 am »
Plug you ears folks-

(click to show/hide)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4608 on: 19 March, 2014, 09:38:48 am »
Surely it would be more hygienic to use their hands for that purpose?
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4609 on: 21 March, 2014, 09:09:14 am »
This might have gone into the “Good Deed” thread, but unfortunately it’s turned into a grumble.
On Wednesday morning I spotted a cyclist pushing his bike up the Bristol Road.  He was using his phone, which coupled with pushing is often a bad sign.  So I pulled over and asked if everything was OK.
Puncture.
I said that my spare tube wasn’t suitable for his 26”, but if he fancied a repair, I’d got patches, glue and tyre levers.  He’d got a pump in his backpack (fortunately).
So, I gave him the stuff and told him I’d see him the next morning at University South Gate at 8.
Yesterday I arrived just before 8, waited till 10 past.  No sign.
Today, I rode past at 8.  No sign.

Huh?  This is a guy I see maybe once or twice a week, so I’m going to see him again eventually.  Unless he is so determined to keep three tyre levers that he is prepared to completely change his commute route.
 ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4610 on: 21 March, 2014, 11:47:19 am »
Maybe he was struck down with a case of the raging <x> and is lying in his sick bed thinking, well I see the good Samaritan twice a week so hopefully he won't be too upset to get his stuff back late....

Hopefully.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4611 on: 23 March, 2014, 03:43:49 pm »
You aren't worth a rant...

Next-door neighbour: OK, the bonfire was very smoky, but yes, I had worked that out and was damping it down. And, bearing in mind the fact that when it's frosty and you're too lazy to scrape your car windows, so you leave leave it - a big, smelly diesel - running for 20-30 minutes before you depart and pollute the neighbourhood, then I don't think you have the right to flounce angrily because you have smoke in your garden. When you are indoors.

Strangely enough, I then took the opportunity to use my electric mower, strimmer and scarifier. Noisy things those, aren't they?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4612 on: 24 March, 2014, 09:47:06 am »
This might have gone into the “Good Deed” thread, but unfortunately it’s turned into a grumble.
On Wednesday morning I spotted a cyclist pushing his bike up the Bristol Road.  He was using his phone, which coupled with pushing is often a bad sign.  So I pulled over and asked if everything was OK.
Puncture.
I said that my spare tube wasn’t suitable for his 26”, but if he fancied a repair, I’d got patches, glue and tyre levers.  He’d got a pump in his backpack (fortunately).
So, I gave him the stuff and told him I’d see him the next morning at University South Gate at 8.
Yesterday I arrived just before 8, waited till 10 past.  No sign.
Today, I rode past at 8.  No sign.

Huh?  This is a guy I see maybe once or twice a week, so I’m going to see him again eventually.  Unless he is so determined to keep three tyre levers that he is prepared to completely change his commute route.
 ???

Still no sign.  :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4613 on: 24 March, 2014, 01:17:29 pm »
26" tube and no puncture kit.  It's entirely possible that he's driving to work until the bike is fixed.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4614 on: 25 March, 2014, 10:18:52 am »
No sign of the perp of THE GRATE TYRE LEVER ROBBERY, which was not surprising as I was very late this morning. 
That’s my last commute until next Tuesday, so he’ll remain unspotted for a week.

Remember.  If you are offered a tyre lever in a pub…………………..

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4615 on: 25 March, 2014, 06:00:20 pm »
Dear Suffolk County Council student transport,
whilst I apreciate your offer of help for a travel pass for my son, it looks like we will have to regrestfully decline on account of although the (unnecessary) bus portion being valid all morning (to) and all afternoon (from), the train portion which is the bit we actually need is only valid for certain trains, not including all the time he currently uses.
So sad.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4616 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:48:03 am »
Our 13th June diagonale had just been scotched by chum's boss cancelling all standing holiday reservations and deciding to close the works for three weeks in August, the high-handed bastard.  13th June = long daylight hours, full moon, winds probably westerly, August = shortening light & a very good chance of steady NE wind. On Brest-Strasbourg, not a good thing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4617 on: 27 March, 2014, 12:47:45 pm »
There is a magazine article pinned up in the reception area at work.

It is about the bridge closure over the Tyne.

The article, about halfway through, say the roadway will be widen by just under a metre.

The next sentence then says it will go from 1920mm to 2231mm.

WTF, how the hell is 300mm "just" under a metre?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4618 on: 27 March, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »
There is a magazine article pinned up in the reception area at work.

It is about the bridge closure over the Tyne.

The article, about halfway through, say the roadway will be widen by just under a metre.

The next sentence then says it will go from 1920mm to 2231mm.

WTF, how the hell is 300mm "just" under a metre?

They really ought to have stuck with imperial units!

From six feet to seven feet. That's one foot in English!
Unfathomable how innumerate some people can be with metric units...  ;) ;D

« Reply #4619 on: 27 March, 2014, 05:43:23 pm »
6'4" to 7'4".
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4620 on: 27 March, 2014, 06:11:26 pm »
How can it cost twice as much and take over an hour longer to get to Cumbria from Brid than it does from Aberdeen?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4621 on: 28 March, 2014, 08:17:15 am »
I've just paid my credit card. All £14.07 of it. I thought I was ordering inner tubes but the rotten swines have sent me Fairy-Magnets :hand:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4622 on: 31 March, 2014, 12:23:48 pm »
Saturday night I noticed someone has stolen an hour. It will probable take the government six months to replace it.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4623 on: 31 March, 2014, 12:57:29 pm »
Pessimist. It the government clawing back the hour they gave you in the autumn.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

fuzzy

« Reply #4624 on: 31 March, 2014, 01:06:23 pm »