Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626020 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13875 on: 04 November, 2021, 10:26:38 am »
Microsith employees.  MS-DarkTM will be the new industry standard.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13876 on: 04 November, 2021, 11:42:11 am »
Nipped into Decathlon for some new bottles, got them home and bloody hell, they've got Arkea Samsic all over them. :sick:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13877 on: 08 November, 2021, 12:50:06 pm »
I'm offering a reasonably valuable piece of domestic equipment (steam generator iron) on Freecycle, I'd quite like to see it  go to a good home. My responses thus far:

• Hello please I am interested in the steam iron
  • httpGood Morning , iron is Stilo available., thank You
  • your Moulinex steam generator iron is still available? Please let me know when I'm can come and collect..?
  • if yes please leave post the postcode I can collect today
  • May I hava please
  • Can I be considered please thanks
  • Is your iron still available as could collect this afternoon if convenient
  • Please I really need it I’m asylum seeker
  • Can collect around 1.30pm. Thanks Gish
  • Hello. I’d this available please?

In case you are wondering, good form is to say why you want the item.

The only person to bother putting in more of a text is:

Please do you do drop off. Please is this still available for my newborn baby clothes living in a temporary accommodation of 40 staircases without lift in Leyton Bakers Arm E10

On the current showing I might well shove it into a rucksack and cycle over, not really the object of Free'cycle'

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13878 on: 09 November, 2021, 01:39:35 pm »
I can get a flu jab from all good pharmacies*, most crap ones and, in all likelihood, branches of Nobby & Dick's Auto Salvage (Finchley), but a Coronalurgi booster requires travel to the far-flung reaches of E17, to regions so distant they are practically in Leyton.  Either that or the NHS website is suffering from geographical bias.  “Ewwwwwww, he lives north of Forest Road!  Let him suffer!”

Bah!

* including the one a dozen doors <<<< thataway up Larrington Towers Road

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13879 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:30:16 am »
MrsT booked us a visit from one of the roving nurses who minister to the aged around here, so that she can give us our flu shots.  Unfortunately she (MrsT) didn't specify a time so we've been hanging around since 7:30 am getting pissëder off by the minute.

ETA: and they didn't.  Rescheduled for Friday, tomorrow being a holiday.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13880 on: 10 November, 2021, 01:55:16 pm »
Having a trigger finger was mildly amusing when it first started but the joke is wearing a bit thin now. It’s not bainfull, but it is constantly uncomfortable and it lock out nearly every time I bend my finger either when just relaxing or when I’m doing something.  >:(

But on a happier note I’m having a COVID booster this afternoon and I’m booked in for a flu jab 24/10 when i visit the surgery for a BP reading.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #13881 on: 10 November, 2021, 06:38:25 pm »
Having a trigger finger was mildly amusing when it first started but the joke is wearing a bit thin now. It’s not bainfull, but it is constantly uncomfortable and it lock out nearly every time I bend my finger either when just relaxing or when I’m doing something.  >:(

But on a happier note I’m having a COVID booster this afternoon and I’m booked in for a flu jab 24/10 when i visit the surgery for a BP reading.
Don't know how to tell you this but 24/10 was a couple of weeks ago now, you might be a bit late

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13882 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:20:00 pm »
Fecking merino thermals with stupidly placed seams have rubbed my oxters red raw  :'(
I won't be buying Isobaa again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #13883 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:28:03 pm »
As you know, one of my hobbies is reporting badly parked cars - though Sevenoaks broke their form (a more paranoid mind than mine might assume that's for a reason). It seems that somewhere (good god, why can't councils do IT?) the form gets emailed to a list of individuals and one of them has left.

I know this because I got the bounceback with the entire list of names and email addresses for their parking & amenities team.

Heh heh heh.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13884 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:34:43 pm »
<request from Sevenoaks transport dept to IT dept>
Can you put this email address on the blacklist please? We're getting spammed
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13885 on: 11 November, 2021, 12:08:50 am »
<request from Sevenoaks transport dept to IT dept>
Can you put this email address on the blacklist please? We're getting spammed

More likely they'd send it to every single employee of Sevenoaks council and start a “Reply All” deluge that will eventually paralyse the whole of Kent.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13886 on: 11 November, 2021, 12:13:48 am »
Isn't it SingleOak now  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13887 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:46:38 am »

Crikey, that was a long time ago . .  the great storm of 1987

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13888 on: 11 November, 2021, 08:01:03 am »

Chum of mine got his dad mightily offgepißt by sending him a postcard addressed to Oneoak back then.  Guess who suggested it.  ::-)

« Reply #13889 on: 11 November, 2021, 09:01:45 am »
Fecking merino thermals with stupidly placed seams have rubbed my oxters red raw  :'(
I won't be buying Isobaa again.

We've been pleased with the mountain warehouse branded thermals. Can photo the seams for you if you want to know.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #13890 on: 11 November, 2021, 10:53:15 am »

Indeed, they've mostly grown back.

For the record, I don't live in Kent, it's a county of shirtless heathens.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13891 on: 11 November, 2021, 11:58:42 am »
A bit like SellyNoOak.  There are pictures of it being cut down about a century ago.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13892 on: 11 November, 2021, 12:58:01 pm »
...to fit more cars in.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #13893 on: 11 November, 2021, 03:31:19 pm »
Oh my god. I accidentally went to the start of this thread instead of the latest grumblings (small phone, fat fingers).

I was alarmed to find that it turned 10 years old in April!

I still think of it as one of the ‘new’ threads!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #13894 on: 11 November, 2021, 10:23:39 pm »
Asda home delivery: I booked a 7 to 9pm slot for this evening. You sent me a text saying the driver was delayed and would be 10 minutes late. So you have the technology to keep me updated. Imagine my delight when I clicked on the link in your text telling me Nick would now be 75-90 minutes late. Any later and I'd be leaving a note on the door asking Nick to take the delivery back, as I've got an early start tomorrow. Pick up the phone, call and explain you twunts. I shan't be giving Nick any grief as s/he will, no doubt, already be frazzled, but your customer service stinks.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13895 on: 11 November, 2021, 11:14:04 pm »
Asda home delivery: I booked a 7 to 9pm slot for this evening. You sent me a text saying the driver was delayed and would be 10 minutes late. So you have the technology to keep me updated. Imagine my delight when I clicked on the link in your text telling me Nick would now be 75-90 minutes late. Any later and I'd be leaving a note on the door asking Nick to take the delivery back, as I've got an early start tomorrow. Pick up the phone, call and explain you twunts. I shan't be giving Nick any grief as s/he will, no doubt, already be frazzled, but your customer service stinks.
Ive had the same issue with Mr Sainsbury’s house of toothy comestibles, but in my case they reported a delayed delivery and then didn’t show up at all!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #13896 on: 12 November, 2021, 09:48:11 am »
Refund form on the TPE website, bloody hell. I've spent more time trying to complete this than the ticket was worth - it wouldn't let me submit it, but wouldn't tell me what I'd done wrong.

I think it was cos I kept putting a £ in the amount, it worked fine with just the numbers, but what a palaver.

« Reply #13897 on: 12 November, 2021, 06:15:43 pm »
Yay, ScotFail have decided to terminate my train back to Glasgow at Perth instead, so now I have an extra 30 minute wait for the next train.  :(

« Reply #13898 on: 15 November, 2021, 08:33:35 am »
Refund form on the TPE website, bloody hell. I've spent more time trying to complete this than the ticket was worth - it wouldn't let me submit it, but wouldn't tell me what I'd done wrong.

I think it was cos I kept putting a £ in the amount, it worked fine with just the numbers, but what a palaver.

Allowing the user to only type numbers into fields that require a number has been a thing since green screen data entry terminals, say around 1965? But now, well after the digital revolution, not only can they not be bothered to validate the input, but the server end chokes on the input  :facepalm:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #13899 on: 15 November, 2021, 09:07:59 am »

Allowing the user to only type numbers into fields that require a number has been a thing since green screen data entry terminals, say around 1965? But now, well after the digital revolution, not only can they not be bothered to validate the input, but the server end chokes on the input  :facepalm:
A friend of mine was telling how she had trouble filling in a webform. One field wouldn't accept (correct) input. So she looked at the underlying html, spotted the crappy regex, edited it in the cached copy and entered the data.

Wonderful data sanitation security there.
<i>Marmite slave</i>