Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626005 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13925 on: 17 November, 2021, 09:48:08 pm »
Cheer LWaB. I'll look at ordering some tomorrow. I've already ordered some more of the Clarks ones as I could get them definitely by tomorrow so I can ride Friday but they'll just be on till I get the Koolstop pads and holders then.  :thumbsup:

And I'll move up my plans to get a disc brake on the front and a roller brake on the rear.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #13926 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:39:15 am »
I have hardly used cash for the last 2 years, but occasionally I have need of a little.  I tried two cash machines this morning, both of which refused to provide me with £10, despite it being offered, and instead insisted I accept £20.  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13927 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:44:58 am »
Cheer LWaB. I'll look at ordering some tomorrow. I've already ordered some more of the Clarks ones as I could get them definitely by tomorrow so I can ride Friday but they'll just be on till I get the Koolstop pads and holders then.  :thumbsup:
+1 for the Salmon KoolStops.  Excellent pads.

« Reply #13928 on: 18 November, 2021, 05:40:26 pm »
Ah, Tesco home delivery. It’s very good that you email in advance now, listing the substitutions and shortages. That meant I could know ahead of time to reject the smoked bacon you’d substituted for the unsmoked I’d selected. Of course, it all goes to pot when you deliver early and I’m not yet (as I should have been) home.  >:(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13929 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:54:52 pm »
I have discovered a small hole in the seat of my jeans. Arse. Literally.
The hole is on the left buttock so that makes it, in Bristolian terms, a Knowle West (sorry).

The problem now is should I buy a new pair of jeans or should I pretend that I'm still young enough to wear non-jean trousers, and if so what? Or maybe I should patch them, after all everything seems to be going back to the 1970s.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13930 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:02:24 pm »
Audax UK patch.

« Reply #13931 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:02:58 pm »
...or perhaps a winged wheel if you can find one.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13932 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:08:48 pm »
That is almost a good idea. Trouble is experience says that what starts as a small worn-through patch on one side soon spreads and it isn't long before the other side goes through too. It needs AUK, Winged Wheel and more!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13933 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:16:04 pm »
Put your holy jeans aside and then use the less worn material from the lower leg to patch the next pair of holy jeans.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13934 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:20:08 pm »
Patch edges might not be the most comfortable fabric on which to sit, especially if you use hard chairs.

Treat yourself to new jeans or trousers.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13935 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:21:23 pm »
Oh yeah! The cuff of the leg, same side, is getting a bit worn too. For some reason I tread on that side a bit, but never on the right side.

Anywayz, I'm currently tending to the "jeans are boring" and "this isn't the 20th century anymore" views, while also feeling a strong dose of "yeah but jeans are practical and easy".

« Reply #13936 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:28:58 pm »
I only recently disposed of a pile of old jeans which I had been hoarding for patching purposes.  The patching simply didn't happen.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13937 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:40:05 pm »
I'm wearing jeans like a postie.

ian

« Reply #13938 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:07:56 pm »
I own zero pairs of jeans. Red trouser status unascertained.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13939 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:13:03 pm »
Red jeans are a thing. Not sure whether a good thing but a thing.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13940 on: 19 November, 2021, 12:09:12 am »
I did once own a pair of red jeans.  In 1973.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #13941 on: 19 November, 2021, 08:54:55 am »
+1.  Two-tone, flared from the knee.  Hell's teeth! What was I thinking!?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #13942 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:13:30 am »
Patch edges might not be the most comfortable fabric on which to sit, especially if you use hard chairs.

Treat yourself to new jeans or trousers.

The edges of the pockets on my jeans have never bothered me.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13943 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:25:28 am »
I hazard a guess that you were thinking along the lines of ‘<deity> thoughbut I’m cool. I’m just BOUND to pull in this fine threads’.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13944 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:59:20 am »
I hazard a guess that you were thinking along the lines of ‘<deity> thoughbut I’m cool. I’m just BOUND to pull in this fine threads’.  ;D
This for sure. Though if it had been me, in 1973, my thoughts would have been on the lines of "Mummy, I don't like these funny trousers, they make me fall over!"

Anyway, I remembered (now not in 1973) that I do have a small pile of non-jean trousers that I've basically never worn. This is because they date from when I was in India and as such they are not really suitable for BRITISH winter. Nevertheless, I looked and found a pair of (slight shudder) chinos which are more or less wearable, if I should have to, for instance, meet any humans between now and such time as I replace the holey jeans. (In fact I am meeting someone today but it's my sister so holey jeans will be considered Normal For Brother.)

« Reply #13945 on: 19 November, 2021, 10:32:04 am »
Ditto, but 1979, when I was old enough to know better...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #13946 on: 19 November, 2021, 10:57:57 am »
1972, bell bottoms with a label from Carnaby Street anna side to side flap with big back buttons, instead of a fly. Not the most convenient of garments I dare say, but crimson red.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #13947 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:23:12 pm »
Amazon, for gawd's sake! 

I just had to buy a new kindle, because my 11 year old one died (not the battery, that was fine).

I have the new one just delivered, and I see they've implemented the EU desire of not supplying chargers, good.  Then I noticed the bloody thing still has a micro USB socket, not USB C.  C'mon, catch up, will you!
Wombat

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13948 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:34:03 pm »
That’s a bit like my iPhone 13 having a Lightening socket when they have moved tablets and laptops over to usb C.

Mind ewe, of my furious headphones and ear buds (6 Bluetooth sets in current use) no two have the same charging connection, on usb a male, one micro usb, one usb C and three bespoke. One of the bespoke connections did however come with two charging cables.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #13949 on: 19 November, 2021, 05:20:27 pm »
That’s a bit like my iPhone 13 having a Lightening socket when they have moved tablets and laptops over to usb C.

Mind ewe, of my furious headphones and ear buds (6 Bluetooth sets in current use) no two have the same charging connection, on usb a male, one micro usb, one usb C and three bespoke. One of the bespoke connections did however come with two charging cables.

Is the Lightning one, the flat thing with clearly visible contacts?  I have a lead for that, for my drone, when a iThing user friend borrows it.  I did have a tracking device with a weird multi-magnet contact thingy, but the tracker was so crap I've given up on it.
Wombat