Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81707 times)

Re: Southend Football
« Reply #325 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:39:31 pm »
Ha, yes, Duncan, I know what full-time means "officially" but you'd be hard-pushed to find a pro. putting in a 40-hour week, I think.  Anyway, I'm just teasing.

I think Sunderland have had a significant fall from grace, which is always good to see:  they were the last of the original members of the top division to be relegated.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Sunderland were not one of the original members of the football league

Clarification is simple:  I was wrong - but not by much!  They joined the league in it's 3rd year, I think, won it loads of times early on (they are still one of the most successful teams so far in the top division, though not for about 100 years!).  I think what I may be remembering is that when they were relegated for the first time in 1958, they had been in the top division longer than anyone else (about 70 years) but I may be wrong about that, too!  It's fascinating to realise that Accrington were founder members and finished halfway up the table.  I can remember their decades in the wilderness.

« Reply #326 on: 07 April, 2021, 05:06:10 pm »
Ha, yes, Duncan, I know what full-time means "officially" but you'd be hard-pushed to find a pro. putting in a 40-hour week, I think.  Anyway, I'm just teasing.

I think Sunderland have had a significant fall from grace, which is always good to see:  they were the last of the original members of the top division to be relegated.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Sunderland were not one of the original members of the football league

Clarification is simple:  I was wrong - but not by much!  They joined the league in it's 3rd year, I think, won it loads of times early on (they are still one of the most successful teams so far in the top division, though not for about 100 years!).  I think what I may be remembering is that when they were relegated for the first time in 1958, they had been in the top division longer than anyone else (about 70 years) but I may be wrong about that, too!  It's fascinating to realise that Accrington were founder members and finished halfway up the table.  I can remember their decades in the wilderness.

Accrington are not the same club as were founder members of the league.

They are not even the successor club, they are a new club formed several years after the successor club to Accrington folded

Accrington folded in 1895/6 after going out of the football league at end of 1892/3 season

Accrington Stanley were formed in or before 1900 and were elected to the football league in 1921/2 ( so no football league team in Accrington for 28 years there)

They left league in 1961/62 season when failed ot complete season. They limped along in Lancs Combination until 1965/6 when they again failed to finish the season

Accrington Stanley Mark 2 were not formed until 1968

« Reply #327 on: 07 April, 2021, 05:09:33 pm »
Fair enough - I didn't research all of the clubs in National League N (or S), I was just going from memory. Apologies for missing out your team!

You were correct in missing out my time. The Pride of County Durham club have never been in the Football League. FI was never a Darlington fan, just as a kid, it was nearest football league club to me as my parents wouldn't let me at 11 travel the 30 miles to Newcastle on my own, but a single bus to Feethams was a different issue

« Reply #328 on: 07 April, 2021, 05:30:20 pm »
HTGT - OK, but it gets a little tedious if one has to say "a team from Accrington" and so on, every time, especially for a topic that's not important anyway.  By the way, were you old enough to be at Feethams when a team from Durham upset a team from west London in a 4th round FA cup replay?

« Reply #329 on: 07 April, 2021, 06:57:20 pm »
HTGT - OK, but it gets a little tedious if one has to say "a team from Accrington" and so on, every time, especially for a topic that's not important anyway.  By the way, were you old enough to be at Feethams when a team from Durham upset a team from west London in a 4th round FA cup replay?

Brentford?

No, I know the game you mean, and no I am not that old. Early 80s/ late 70s was when I used to go

« Reply #330 on: 07 April, 2021, 07:47:39 pm »
You really know how to hurt, don't you?  Brentford play in Sunderland shirts!

« Reply #331 on: 07 April, 2021, 07:56:24 pm »
You really know how to hurt, don't you?  Brentford play in Sunderland shirts!

Brentford play far better than S*nderland

I did watch the biggest club in West London in league game at Feethams

Even though Feethams is next to a park, I was not cottaging

« Reply #332 on: 08 April, 2021, 03:31:47 pm »
Unsubstantiated rumours that a L2 club with debts of £30m are on verge of going into administration leading to a potential 12 point deduction.

On an unconnected note Colchester have debts of £30m allegedly

A lifeline for one of Grimsby or Southend if the rumours are true

« Reply #333 on: 08 April, 2021, 04:03:12 pm »
Mmmmm.  Bolton are usually heavily in debt, which is why they are in that division, really.  Either way, it helps Grimsby or Southend, I suppose.  If it's Bolton, it might also affect the promotions, too.

« Reply #334 on: 08 April, 2021, 04:24:57 pm »
I have no information on who it is, but if it were Bolton, a 12 point deduction would put them in 14th and they would still be safe from being relegated. Southend or Grimsby need it to be a club 15th or below really.

« Reply #335 on: 08 April, 2021, 04:29:43 pm »
Mmmmm.  Bolton are usually heavily in debt, which is why they are in that division, really.  Either way, it helps Grimsby or Southend, I suppose.  If it's Bolton, it might also affect the promotions, too.

Bolton in case you forgot it only came out of administration 18 months ago, so are unlikely to have run up £30m of debt in that time.

It definitely is not Bolton

« Reply #336 on: 08 April, 2021, 05:58:26 pm »
Apparently, Colchester do owe around £30m, though 26m of that is to the parent company:
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1376983937642336256

« Reply #337 on: 08 April, 2021, 06:29:34 pm »
Obviously I didn't think too hard about the Bolton scenario but I'm glad to be wrong about that!

« Reply #338 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:55:33 am »
This thread may need to be renamed the local lower leagues club thread

There was an article in one of the local newspapers I think about how little Colchester have spent the last year and have risked relegation by being financially stable where as lots of clubs are at no risk of relegation but at more financial risk

Southend have got Phil Brown back who i seem to recall managed Colchester back in the day.

« Reply #339 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:58:29 am »
Actually the article was on BBC website under Colchester on 24th March

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #340 on: 09 April, 2021, 12:31:09 pm »

There was an article in one of the local newspapers I think about how little Colchester have spent the last year and have risked relegation by being financially stable where as lots of clubs are at no risk of relegation but at more financial risk

Southend have got Phil Brown back who i seem to recall managed Colchester back in the day.

Oi! You start your own thread!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #341 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:31:57 pm »

Oi! You start your own thread!

its very relevant to Phil Brown's Southend as if Colchester go into admin, it makes it more likely  Southend will retain their League status

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #342 on: 09 April, 2021, 07:45:39 pm »
I read somewhere that the Colchester chairman has denied robustly that Colchester are on their uppers, at least, in a 12-points-deducting kind of way. Meanwhile Oldham are beating them 1 - 0.

There is also the small matter of the probability that, this season, because of the dire straits affecting the National League, that their programme won't be completed and there will be no promotion or relegation.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/national-league-decision-vote-relegation-4955602?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=exchange

From Grimsby Live, who of course will be looking for every slightest chance that their team might stay up.

« Reply #343 on: 10 April, 2021, 01:37:44 pm »
The National League clubs have a point. When they were debating whether to start the season, they were given a grant to cover up to Christmas. Changing it to a loan for the second half of the season basically means that unless you have a sugar daddy, you put the club at real risk of going bust.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #344 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:21:24 pm »
Indeed.

Meanwhile, Southend and Crawley played out what, on paper, looks to have been a candidate for the most boring match ever. Now 3 points ahead of Grimsby and 4 behind Colchester.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #345 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:39:30 pm »
Well Hardly Poo Untied went top of the national league today.  :D
A bit meaningless unfortunately as they are 4 games out of hand. (?)
Still, I'm desperate for them to return to the football league proper while life long season ticket holder FiL is still around to see it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #346 on: 10 April, 2021, 10:38:22 pm »
As mentioned above, having been shafted financially by HM Govt, it seems unlikely that the season will be completed and if that eventuality comes to be, then there will be no promotion or relegation.

« Reply #347 on: 11 April, 2021, 12:15:30 am »
As mentioned above, having been shafted financially by HM Govt, it seems unlikely that the season will be completed and if that eventuality comes to be, then there will be no promotion or relegation.

You are totally wrong on this ppoint
The National League clubs voted to complete the season and  they will finish the season and promote 2 clubs as usual

There is no credible suggestion from any club in the National League that the season will not finish. The issue re the Government you refer to was back in January, the clubs have played another 3 months of football since issue first arose and are now in home straight of season. It is not going to be curtailed now. The NLN/S clubs curtailed their season in the same vote as the NL voted to continue

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #348 on: 11 April, 2021, 12:37:26 am »
I found a source suggesting what I wrote. I haven't seen another source since.

I don't follow football, other than as it affects local politics in Southend. Outside influences (eg what is happening in other clubs) has a relevance.

An alternative source would be helpful.

« Reply #349 on: 11 April, 2021, 07:37:08 am »
I wonder how Altrincham would have coped in the 4th Division/League 2, had they been promoted
all those years ago when they used to regularly win the National League (or whatever it was called
bitd*)?

* for all those who throw abbreviations around.....back in the day...