General Category > On The Road

Moving to Canary Wharf

(1/2) > >>

tippers_kiwi:
We are being moved from our location just above Liverpool Street Station to Canary wharf in the near future. Not a massive drama as I come in from Essex so I can easily get off at Stratford but I am wondering if anyone on here can give some tips on the best route from Stratford Station to Canary Wharf? My usual morning will be out of Stratford around 7:15am and I will be leaving Canary Wharf between 5 and 6pm most days.

Also, any thoughts on the best plan for the bike? My options as I see them are,
1. A cheap SS/Fixed that I can lock up at the Wharf and Stratford at each end of the day and continue to use my commuter between Witham and home
2. Go for the Brompton option (or other folder?) so I can travel with the bike

Thanks in advance

Ham:
The off road option is to pick up the Limehouse Cut, but at the moment I think it is still half scaffolded up (and I hate busy canal paths)

This would be my preference - down to Canning town the roads are mostly broad and good (last bit into canning town excepted) then you have bike paths to take you over the flyover and you're there

HTFB:
It's actually less far to ride from Liverpool St. There's a superhighway along Cable St. But you know this.

Canary Wharf's open-air racks have a fairly high standard of bike locked to them during the day, so you wouldn't need anything too scruffy at that end; there are paid lockups and so forth as well. Stratford is a scrote magnet (I blame the Westfield) and you mightn't want to leave the merest BSO overnight, anywhere the public can get to at all. But you know this too.

redfalo:
I'm cycle commuting from Highbury to CW, and in the morning (aournd 7.30am), the canal is not busy at all. It can get hairy in the summer on the way back though, but all in all, the road is not quicker. Would hence defo recommend to give the canal a try.

Ham:

--- Quote from: redfalo on 19 September, 2016, 04:34:20 pm ---....but all in all, the road is not quicker. Would hence defo recommend to give the canal a try.

--- End quote ---

Are you one of those who rides fast on the towpath? I hope not because that might make you one of those unpleasant, selfish so and so's that make life unpleasant for everyone else you see a lot of, any time any day. Technically, riding fast without anyone else in sight is ok, but slowing down to comfort speed near pedestrians and other cyclists isn't at all common.

If you want to go fast, go on the road. If you want the enjoyment of offroad go on the towpath but realise that you are sharing with pedestrians and less confident cyclists. My average road speed through London, like many, is about 13mph overall - that's already faster than you should be going on a towpath.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version