Author Topic: Pavement parking  (Read 23559 times)

Re: Pavement parking
« Reply #75 on: 24 May, 2019, 08:47:05 am »
... or just allowing parking on grass
Something I first noticed way back in the 90s was in some estates, all the grass is actually concrete. That is, it's grass but it's growing through a concrete grid. Presumably to stop it getting churned up by car wheels, but it also makes it very difficult to walk on.

I think that's called Grasscrete. I suppose it's more robust than ordinary turf. I think it's also used on camping sites, which is a pain if you're using tent pegs.

It works quite well on the Saxon Shore Way between Beltinge and Reculver in Kent - a popular walking (and cycling) route which, in wet weather, would become a marsh.

« Reply #76 on: 24 May, 2019, 09:04:32 am »
They do. Though you wouldn't know from the way most people drive. For some reason even basic courtesy evaporates once you move at a speed beyond that of walking pace.
Rule 170, at least in my copy.
Take extra care at junctions. You should watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way.
Weak rule even if it were acknowledged.
London cabbies almost universally ignore this one and typically issue a pre-emptive parp parp before turning into a side road where there is a pedestrian already crossing.
Rust never sleeps

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #77 on: 24 May, 2019, 09:50:05 am »
They do. Though you wouldn't know from the way most people drive. For some reason even basic courtesy evaporates once you move at a speed beyond that of walking pace.
Rule 170, at least in my copy.
Take extra care at junctions. You should watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way.
Weak rule even if it were acknowledged.

True enough - I think you do need to be considerate and careful as a pedestrian also - there are scenarios were a militant and/or inconsiderate pedestrian does not even consider what is going on on the main road and condemns the polite motorist, allowing them to cross, to be rammed from behind my a motorist of the dickhead variety.

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #78 on: 04 June, 2019, 02:22:57 pm »
Glanced out the window to see the cycle police handing out a ticket to an errant Santander bike rider. I presume for riding on the pavement. While I don't have a lot of sympathy for that, the pavement is, after all, right next to the superhighway that runs up Blackfriars Road.

But right behind them a van, parked completely on the pavement outside the building opposite.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #79 on: 05 June, 2019, 09:38:56 am »
Glanced out the window to see the cycle police handing out a ticket to an errant Santander bike rider. I presume for riding on the pavement. While I don't have a lot of sympathy for that, the pavement is, after all, right next to the superhighway that runs up Blackfriars Road.

But right behind them a van, parked completely on the pavement outside the building opposite.

Yebbut... everyone knows that motor vehicles magically elevate themselves on to pavements without any intervention from the meatsack behind the wheel... innit.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #80 on: 29 March, 2023, 11:29:53 am »

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #81 on: 29 March, 2023, 11:49:37 am »
Code: [Select]
"I understand the frustration. I know it's not right for the locals but it's definitely not right for the people paying money for train tickets."
Basically, "It sucks for the people who live here and can't use the pavement because I parked on it, but I paid Actual Earth Pounds for a service, so I deserve to be able to leave my personal property lying about in public wherever I want."

Right.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #82 on: 29 March, 2023, 12:42:35 pm »
Glad to see they all also got fined.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #83 on: 29 March, 2023, 12:48:42 pm »
Yes. No need for double yellows.

That quote is from 'Resident Chris'. So one wonders why his car was parked on the pavement and why he would sympathize more with the non-resident parkers. Or perhaps he has unusual first name. Or maybe he is a resident, but somewhere else.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 29 March, 2023, 01:19:06 pm »
That quote is from 'Resident Chris'. So one wonders why his car was parked on the pavement and why he would sympathize more with the non-resident parkers. Or perhaps he has unusual first name. Or maybe he is a resident, but somewhere else.

You're not thinking like a car person:  Maybe he's a resident who drives round the corner to the station?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #85 on: 29 March, 2023, 01:31:00 pm »
Maybe he's a resident who drives round the corner to the station?

I was just pondering the matter of how far people are driving to get to the station. To be fair, the area isn't well served by rail, so they may be coming from further afield.

But if they're driving any distance, they might as well go to Yeovil (199 parking spaces) or Taunton (406 parking spaces). And however far they have driven, there's no excuse for parking like a cunt.

I probably shouldn't approve of vigilante vandalism, but I do.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #86 on: 29 March, 2023, 01:34:44 pm »
See also this report from January:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-64429187
People living close to Castle Cary train station say inconsiderate parking by rail commuters is making a nearby busy road unsafe.

Residents of the Somerset town say insufficient space in the station's car park is prompting drivers to park on the pavement and verges.

Locals have reported being forced to walk down the middle of the A371 because the footpath is blocked.

Train operator GWR said it is spending £3m on a new car park.
etc
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #87 on: 29 March, 2023, 01:38:43 pm »
Also note that the station is a few miles outside the town. And it's been said elsewhere that there's only one bus from town to station.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #88 on: 29 March, 2023, 02:00:26 pm »
I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who parks on pavements or verges (often causing significant damage over time)...  I'm glad that the police in these circumstances chose to fine the lawbreaking parkers.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #89 on: 29 March, 2023, 02:04:47 pm »
Lots of empty space on the road to park their cars. Or am I missing something?
Station Road

ian

« Reply #90 on: 29 March, 2023, 09:57:42 pm »
Maybe he's a resident who drives round the corner to the station?

I was just pondering the matter of how far people are driving to get to the station. To be fair, the area isn't well served by rail, so they may be coming from further afield.

But if they're driving any distance, they might as well go to Yeovil (199 parking spaces) or Taunton (406 parking spaces). And however far they have driven, there's no excuse for parking like a cunt.

I probably shouldn't approve of vigilante vandalism, but I do.

Quite frankly, if they're blocking me, I don't feel bad if their wing mirrors get bent right back and their windscreen wipers decide to praise the lord. I wouldn't deliberately scratch them but I'd not going to careful with my bag. If you want to park, do it on the street.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #91 on: 29 March, 2023, 10:21:35 pm »
So, do the pavement parkers walk in the road 'cos they've blocked the pavements?

ian

« Reply #92 on: 29 March, 2023, 10:23:14 pm »
So, do the pavement parkers walk in the road 'cos they've blocked the pavements?

Yes, but then they can and don't really care about those who can't. Which is the basic attitude of the habitual pavement parker.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #93 on: 29 March, 2023, 10:24:53 pm »

Yes, but then they can and don't really care about those who can't. Which is the basic attitude of the habitual pavement parker.

My next question was going to be do they moan about having to do so?

ian

« Reply #94 on: 29 March, 2023, 10:34:39 pm »

My next question was going to be do they moan about having to do so?

Probably not, I doubt any of them are habitual walkers. They're usually parked on the pavement because they don't want to walk more than 10 metres.

« Reply #95 on: 30 March, 2023, 01:46:35 pm »
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #96 on: 30 March, 2023, 08:02:17 pm »
They will have to walk a little further now.
https://twitter.com/aspsouthsom/status/1641420473018855424?s=46&t=_G1HNmJGiabKpo1BpgvbmA
Shurley I'm allowed to park between the cones officer?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.