Author Topic: BBC London  (Read 17998 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: BBC London
« Reply #25 on: 04 October, 2018, 01:46:54 pm »
I would not want to do the Tissington trail.  it is relatively narrow, used by dog walkers, children, etc who do not expect to see fast moving road bikes.  I would consider the use of this trail for an audax to be extremely risky

Depends on the time of day, but by my back-of-the-envelope calculations most riders would get there around the evening dog-emptying peak.  How many muggle cyclists, walkers, children etc. are about will mostly depend on the weather (which could go either way mid-September).  The surface is probably okay on road tyres (I've only ever done it on touring tyres), but can get quite puddly on the upper section, which leads to conflict with other users if you don't want to get your feet wet.

On the other hand, this is a 600, not a 100.  It won't be an enormous field, and should be decently spread out by that point.  I'd also hope that audaxers would have the sense to ride appropriately for the conditions, secure in the knowledge that the consistent gentle gradient and lack of junctions would give them a decent overall average speed on that section.

What I certainly wouldn't want to do is use the Tissington (or the other trails) in the downhill direction.  Too easy to pick up speed.

essexian

« Reply #26 on: 04 October, 2018, 02:08:55 pm »
I've been up the Tissington trail several times on my road bike with 25mm tyres. Its okay if a little rutted in places (the main cutting in the lower half of the ride and then after the signal box).  I do think a good pad is required however.

As to dog emptiers, they tend to stay within a mile or two of the "stations" so once you are beyond the one by the huge curve on the embankment (I forget what it is called), you will be on your own for a few miles. You will however, come across people who have hired bikes and aren't used to riding so its best to give them plenty of warning when passing!

As to speed, I won't claim to be the fastest person on this site but from the main car park just outside Ashbourne to the very top takes me on average 90 minutes for the 17 or so miles. There are a couple of sections of climbing (long false flats really) but the real test comes from the wind....once on the great bend, the wind picks up and can blow you sideways! I suppose it could be good practice for the Fens  ;D

With regards to going down the trail...that's the best bit  ;D (My best time of 57 minutes was done at 7am in the morning when I had the trail to myself. I would not go that fast normally).

Finally, I agree about the A6 out of Buxton. Later in the evening may be okay but otherwise it's best to take care. Also, don't miss the entrance to the trail as there is a nasty hill soon afterwards!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #27 on: 04 October, 2018, 02:29:16 pm »
Tissington trail is fine. We did it in Eroica Britannia, with over 3,000 cyclists, sharing with walkers... no problem at all

« Reply #28 on: 04 October, 2018, 03:12:00 pm »
Yay! Route design/critique by committee/forum. Always makes a good thread.

(Feedback for the organiser good, but squabbling about individual roads doesn't really add to the thread about an upcoming ride.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hillbilly

« Reply #29 on: 04 October, 2018, 06:19:33 pm »
Be careful how you advertise BBC London.  It has a different connotation in less innocent parts of teh interweb. 

For example, don't suggest you have plenty of room for a quick entry or that it is a ride that will leave you sore the day after.

#yacfcorruptedmymind

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #30 on: 04 October, 2018, 07:49:35 pm »
Be careful how you advertise BBC London.  It has a different connotation in less innocent parts of teh interweb. 

For example, don't suggest you have plenty of room for a quick entry or that it is a ride that will leave you sore the day after.

#yacfcorruptedmymind

I can honestly say I havent got a clue what youre talking about.
Might have had problems if the route ended in Windsor though...

As noted upthread, my last refresh didn't take for some reason, but its there now. Link on the cal listing.
Aside from aforementioned changes, some unsuitable paths had crept in. Hopefully resolved. (I guess those are what were being discussed upthread). Soz)
As a rule of thumb I'm not averse to counttry lanes or greenways but for (this) 600 they need to be metalled, les than 10% and not have grass running down the middle...
If you like that sort ofthing there are plenty of other Orgs who will oblige.

Yes I know, 'the ambassador is spoiling us' :)

dod

« Reply #31 on: 04 October, 2018, 10:38:02 pm »
This looks great fun, although you can avoid using the busy A141 between Guyhirn and Chatteris by coming off as soon as possible after Guyhirn and going through March town centre, then taking the road through Wimblington and Doddington to get to Chatteris. Then you even get to pass the door of the famed Green Welly :)

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #32 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:10:57 am »
Further south, swapped out Burton-on-Trent and Rugby for Market Bosworth. Have to add 'Battlefields' to the list of attractions. :)

Oh, Rugby is no more. Your first draft went within 50 meters of my house and possibly a nice fully catered break at 140km's.
It's still a great route though, a definitely maybe, especially if PBP doesn't happen.

FYI, the North West exit from Draycote Water, the NCR41 definitely isn't metalled, does have grass and gravel all over it and can be muddy if we've had a wet summer. But it's only a 500 meter break in the tarmac so might still be feasible.

Also, Priors Marston at 101km, consider continuing down Hellidon Road rather than turning onto Keys Lane. Both are very steep descents, Keys Lane isn't used by traffic as much and can be slippery with leaves if wet and has a very sharp kink at the steepest point. Hellidon Road is much safer and less squeaky bum imo.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #33 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:19:44 am »
If all goes to plan, I will be located near the Buxton end by the time of the event.  Happy to volunteer my services if you need anything at the top end of the ride.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #34 on: 05 October, 2018, 01:15:08 pm »

#yacfcorruptedmymind

Chester Bristol Tonbridge anyone?

« Reply #35 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:59:30 pm »
I see it now goes through Barton under needwood where Adrian Timmis lives. Famous Pro rider in TdF.

Manotea

« Reply #36 on: 05 October, 2018, 11:36:37 pm »
I try to avoid the larger towns like Burton on Trent (which to be fair isn't that big by down south standards) as I find urban areas really intrusive once Ive got used to the quiet countryside. Smaller towns that you can be in and out of in five minutes are ok. Originally the 'C' was going to be Cambridge but it didnt work out. Whilst Cambridge makes a great destination for a 200km when you can  take your time, the centre is always busy and on a 600 you want to be in and out quite quickly (and it would have added 10km). The Green Welly at Chatteris looks perfect... the minor road route from Guyhirn to Chatteris is 20km compared with 17km on the A road. I'd take the minor road route any day.

« Reply #37 on: 09 October, 2018, 08:58:16 am »
Oooh, goes right past my front door in Ollerton, (give or take 5 miles).  Happy to help out if you need anything up that way.  Big year planned next year so will almost certainly be too knackered / broken to ride it on the day.  DIY/Perm may be possible another time though.

Manotea

« Reply #38 on: 09 October, 2018, 11:09:35 am »
Thanks; Ollerton got the nod because of the 24hr Macdonalds.

If the event proves popular I'd envisage there being a full-on night-time control somewhere around Lincoln (370km). Egmanton Village Hall (350km, south of Tuxford) looks promising, as it comes at a breakpoint in the route between the peaks and the flatlands. Also after tuxford the route to Lincoln is off-road (NCN647) and best ridden in daylight/dawn.

« Reply #39 on: 09 October, 2018, 11:14:35 am »

I can honestly say I havent got a clue what youre talking about.

Nor have I. Am I the only person for whom the first post is completely blank?

« Reply #40 on: 09 October, 2018, 02:07:47 pm »
Thanks; Ollerton got the nod because of the 24hr Macdonalds.

If the event proves popular I'd envisage there being a full-on night-time control somewhere around Lincoln (370km). Egmanton Village Hall (350km, south of Tuxford) looks promising, as it comes at a breakpoint in the route between the peaks and the flatlands. Also after tuxford the route to Lincoln is off-road (NCN647) and best ridden in daylight/dawn.

Can also be "interesting" in poor weather, especially on skinny tyres.  There are some sections prone to mud and overgrowth.  The 2nd half into Lincoln is good though once you hit tarmac again.  There is an alternative route via Dunham Bridge and then via back roads to meet the cycle route without riding the off road bits.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 09 October, 2018, 02:42:45 pm »
@fimm:

The first post has no text - it's just one big graphic. This is the URL:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwf4p3qy517dzw8/BBC%20London%20Flyer.jpg?raw=1

MAybe your PC is slow to download it, or display it, or you can't see dropbox files?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ben T

« Reply #42 on: 09 October, 2018, 03:09:24 pm »
Fimm, are you browsing from work?
Many corporate proxies ban dropbox URLs, mine does.
I see Manotea's OP as just blank as well, but it displays fine at home.

Manotea

« Reply #43 on: 09 October, 2018, 04:07:38 pm »
Fimm, are you browsing from work?
Many corporate proxies ban dropbox URLs, mine does.
I see Manotea's OP as just blank as well, but it displays fine at home.
Doh... Have to move it to some private webspace

Howzat?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 22 October, 2018, 12:34:13 pm »
Tried out km 100-330ish over the weekend (including the Monsal Trail). Very nice; I was lucky to get dry weather, but mornings were a lot colder than September should be!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuheygw

Paul will be updated with details, but I didn't encounter any serious problems  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #45 on: 22 October, 2018, 12:56:49 pm »
Beautiful Wyedale - thanks, Matt!

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 06 November, 2018, 10:13:44 pm »
Oops! not sure what happened but I entered

« Reply #47 on: 20 May, 2019, 12:51:38 pm »
Just looking at this for my SR after a BCM DNF.
Must be something happening in Lincoln that weekend because all the Travelodges are eye-wateringly expensive.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #48 on: 20 May, 2019, 05:31:30 pm »
"Just looking at this for my SR after a BCM DNF"

Don't know if it's your sort of thing but for information purposes there's still places on my Pendle 600 & Glasgow 600. I've attached website links below:

http://burnleyccevents.com/pendle-600-2/

http://burnleyccevents.com/blackpool-glasgow-blackpool-600-22-septe

Andy Corless

« Reply #49 on: 20 May, 2019, 07:34:46 pm »
Thanks Andy, but both are rather far away from my current abode near the south coast..... and the Pendle is most assuredly NOT my "sort of thing".