Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333723 times)

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2375 on: 07 August, 2020, 07:21:47 pm »
Our dishwasher doesn’t cope very well with avocado or couscous.

« Reply #2376 on: 07 August, 2020, 07:47:42 pm »
I ordered a delivery of steaks from Costco, and specified today as the delivery date.   They are apparently turning up at an unspecified time tomorrow, which means I've got to wait in, lest they be dumped in the foyer & start to go manky in the heat  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2377 on: 14 August, 2020, 10:54:39 am »
Even if they do get dumped in the foyer, take a gas blow-torch over them and they'll be fine - taste all the better, in fact.

---o0o---

The hood on one of my rain-jackets has a draw-string with a spring toggle that is anchored to the collar, making it hard enough to tighten and practically bloody impossible to loosen.  Today I got p'd off and took the scissors to the anchoring half-inch of elastic, with the result that the end of the drawstring now pulls out of the hole on the end of a bit of white tape.  I'd love to throttle the halfwit who dreamt that one up.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2378 on: 14 August, 2020, 01:52:32 pm »
I think some neck fastenings on rainwear were redesigned after there were throttling injuries...

« Reply #2379 on: 16 August, 2020, 11:57:48 am »
Dear Sonos Playbase, why, if I turn on the TV/PVR pairing but mute the TV sound, do you turn your internal volume control to 0, so that when I unmute the TV I have to get up and manually increase your volume to max again  >:(.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2380 on: 16 August, 2020, 12:17:04 pm »
Oh yes!  If I'm playing music from iThings and use the volume slider frob to enquieten proceedings it changes the master volume setting on the A/V amp, because Networks, so when I decide to watch telly instead I can't hear what TV's T Harvey* is saying.  So I have to – gasp – use the remote to restore it to its usual level.  Which means sitting up at an awkward angle to see over the coffee table.  Is there a victim support group?

* other colemantators are available
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2381 on: 20 August, 2020, 05:09:26 pm »
This bag of pretzels have been rather more salty than usual. Still tasty but not as tasty.

I'll probably survive.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2382 on: 20 August, 2020, 05:28:40 pm »
It claims to, but I'm not convinced. Maybe as the jar is emptying, but I can't see the grabber grabbing an olive from a fuller jar. Plus getting them out individually isn't the problem - I could do that with a cocktail stick. What's frustrating is the seeming inability to get more than a couple out at a time.
I despair.

Many aeons ago when I worked in catering we used to use a wire pea scoop for this. You can get them out at about 10 a time with one.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2383 on: 08 October, 2020, 10:33:52 am »
TV died last night.

Do I replace it with another 32" or go for something larger?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2384 on: 08 October, 2020, 11:07:06 am »
TV died last night.

Choose life.  Choose a family.  Etc.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2385 on: 08 October, 2020, 12:20:06 pm »
Dead TV = room for another bicycle.  The programmes are better, too.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2386 on: 08 October, 2020, 12:22:26 pm »
The size TVs are going, they'll probably be a structural part of the house soon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #2387 on: 08 October, 2020, 12:22:49 pm »
TV died last night.

We bought a 55-inch TV. I do carry a little regret that I didn't go for the 65-inch version. I only watch movies and TV shows where things blow up though.

« Reply #2388 on: 08 October, 2020, 12:58:23 pm »
TV died last night.

You might struggle to find a decent 32" one now, they;re considered "kitchen" or "bedroom" sized  ::-).  I know I did, so opted for the next size up that still had decent features, a 43".  That's as big as we can go - it sits in the recess between the chimney breast and wall, with about 5mm to spare.  We don't want one on the wall, as it's only 9 feet from where we sit.

If you buy from Richer Sounds you get a free 6 years guarantee - effectively a guarantee that matches the reasonably expected working life of modern electronics.

« Reply #2389 on: 08 October, 2020, 12:58:33 pm »
The size TVs are going, they'll probably be a structural part of the house soon.

Or at least, wall-sized, as predicted by Ray Bradbury in Fahrenheit 451:

https://www.movieversion.com/fahrenheit-451-predicts-flat-screen-tv
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=1281
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2390 on: 08 October, 2020, 01:00:24 pm »

Or at least, wall-sized, as predicted by Ray Bradbury in Fahrenheit 451:

https://www.movieversion.com/fahrenheit-451-predicts-flat-screen-tv
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=1281

Already done, by stitching together smaller LED panels.

« Reply #2391 on: 08 October, 2020, 03:42:03 pm »
TV died last night.

You might struggle to find a decent 32" one now, they;re considered "kitchen" or "bedroom" sized  ::-).  I know I did, so opted for the next size up that still had decent features, a 43".  That's as big as we can go - it sits in the recess between the chimney breast and wall, with about 5mm to spare.  We don't want one on the wall, as it's only 9 feet from where we sit.

If you buy from Richer Sounds you get a free 6 years guarantee - effectively a guarantee that matches the reasonably expected working life of modern electronics.

Having measured up a 43" would mean moving the HiFi to a suboptimal configuration so a 32" Sony has been purchased.

Looked at the size of 55" Tv's. I wouldn't be able to see out of the front window.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2392 on: 08 October, 2020, 04:27:03 pm »
Window? Archaism!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2393 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:44:51 am »

Barakta and I have grumbled about this in Food & Drink before.

Might not have been ginger beer but sometimes we just want full sugar fizzies.
San Pellegrino Limonata/Arenciata have been reformulated with less sugar, which marred our Christmas meals.

We hardly touch alcohol but like a decent sweet pop with special meals.

Belatedly, I recently discovered that Waitrose sells two versions of Limonata; one is the reformulated stuff (~£3.50/6), but they also sell a more expensive version in slim tall cans (~£3.50/4), with more sugar. Presumably the higher price is both sugar tax and an opportunity to make money off glucose junkies...

« Reply #2394 on: 09 October, 2020, 04:29:19 pm »
My 4pm Friday meeting has been put back to 4:30.

Are you fecking kidding me?

« Reply #2395 on: 09 October, 2020, 08:03:43 pm »
Huzzah for my strictly observed (by the company, not me) 14.30 Friday finish.

Sorry fboab  :-*.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2396 on: 09 October, 2020, 08:25:50 pm »
You should be so lucky.  Before I retired, I was often called on to provide expert opinion on ground engineering matters in construction disputes.  One QC whom I worked with regularly called a 'conference' (aka a meeting) for 4pm on Friday, at his Chambers in that Lunnun.  I was based in Manchester.............

4pm was when he could get back to his Chambers after a week in court. 

When a QC tells you there's a conference, you do not demurr.......

Chris S

« Reply #2397 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:13:53 pm »
My 4pm Friday meeting has been put back to 4:30.

Are you fecking kidding me?

That's actually worse than my 10am Monday meeting being changed to 9am Monday, at 22:40 Sunday evening.  :facepalm: I just didn't turn up.

Offset by DD deciding that 17:45 Friday is a Great Time to begin an upgrade to a customer facing demo system. Sigh...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2398 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:56:24 pm »

I solve these problems by putting in my work diary "Keep free" as a busy appointment, every day from 0800-1000, and Fridays from 1300. Stops anyone looking at your calendar, and trying to book a meeting then. Not always popular with colleagues. Excellent for one's mental health.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2399 on: 10 October, 2020, 12:01:50 pm »
You should be so lucky.  Before I retired, I was often called on to provide expert opinion on ground engineering matters in construction disputes.  One QC whom I worked with regularly called a 'conference' (aka a meeting) for 4pm on Friday, at his Chambers in that Lunnun.  I was based in Manchester.............

4pm was when he could get back to his Chambers after a week in court. 

When a QC tells you there's a conference, you do not demurr.......

I refuse to attend those in person anymore.  I only do them by phone or video unless they are willing to pay full day at my fee, travel and if that late an overnight stay.  Amazing how quickly they change their minds.