Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 103168 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #50 on: 30 April, 2012, 06:03:23 pm »
Ridehard and I would love to join you if the room is still available?

If not, then I've got a room booked for Sunday and Monday in the Blackburn Travelodge.
It's handy being on a 4 day weekend. Anyone up for some touring on the Monday and Tuesday?
I'll be on my fixed. I'm not sure it's worth gearing down. I'd need such a low gear to get up those hills I'd be spinning at 200rpm on the flat.
Or maybe I should use my mountain bike, with very low gears and hydraulic disk brakes...?
There are some 33% climbs on the route in Yorkshire and Cumbria.

Andy Corless

« Reply #51 on: 30 April, 2012, 06:12:28 pm »
I've ridden up Rosedale on a geared bike and down it on fixed. I've never seen Hardknott in the flesh.
I know I can't ride those hills on fixed, but they are just a few miles out of almost 400. It's all the other hills. There's the 1:4 to Robin Hood's Bay which will be another stroll for me. I know I can get up a reasonably steep hill of about 1:6 on 53/17 fixed, but not if it's too long, but the bigger gear would mean more speed on the flatter bits and downhills.
I'll probably use a 69" fixed (the gear of love) as I did on the Elenith. Probably bring some spare brake blocks too. I think I'm more worried about the descents.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #52 on: 30 April, 2012, 07:33:27 pm »

If not, then I've got a room booked for Sunday and Monday in the Blackburn Travelodge.
It's handy being on a 4 day weekend. Anyone up for some touring on the Monday and Tuesday?
I'll be on my fixed. I'm not sure it's worth gearing down. I'd need such a low gear to get up those hills I'd be spinning at 200rpm on the flat.
Or maybe I should use my mountain bike, with very low gears and hydraulic disk brakes...?
Thanks for the kind offer teethgrinder but Ridehard and I have accepted Bianchi Boy's equally kind offer - see you in the Travel Lodge

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #53 on: 01 May, 2012, 05:45:20 pm »
I'm in the travelodge too....  might see you lot there..  ;D

I shall also take another spare set of brake blocks, having had nice new ones before this last weekend, and not nice at all (not even there at all) ones now...  :o

If only Campag did a triple for the 11 speed... but they don't....   hey how do those climbs compare to the Devils Staircase (Abergwesyn) ??
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #54 on: 01 May, 2012, 07:40:53 pm »
also did the devil's staircase on the elenydd this year and rode up it but i would not be able to get up the hardknott without a few stops or some walking unless i was absolutely fresh on a good day.  The wrynose is much easier coming from that side - about the same as the staircase, but as stated before, the legs will be shot by then - i don't think i can complete this ride, so am intending to enter as soon as i get round to it!

and done

« Reply #55 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:28:35 pm »
I'm expecting it to be like the middle bit of the Elenith for 600k, with a few even tougher climbs thrown in for extra value.
It'll be excellent training and a good taster for the Maniac, assuming I'm still alive afterwards. ;D
Definitely a good ride to do on fixed. :thumbsup:

Euan Uzami

« Reply #56 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:51:51 pm »

I shall also take another spare set of brake blocks, having had nice new ones before this last weekend, and not nice at all (not even there at all) ones now...  :o

If only Campag did a triple for the 11 speed... but they don't....   hey how do those climbs compare to the Devils Staircase (Abergwesyn) ??
having done both (albeit hardknott only once) i'd say it's harder than the devil's staircase. It's steeper and longer.  I remember thinking "what a spectacular road" and, when half way up it, "if it doesn't get any steeper i'm going to make it", and then it did. I did clean it though.
I'd go so far as to say it's as much about technique as strength/stamina/power (maybe if it's in the latter stages of a 600 though you may be tempted to disagree). I'd only just started a coast to coast though. Of the guys who I was riding with two were faster than me but one wheelspun and lost momentum and tumbled. If it's dry you might be able to stand up on most of the ramps, but pick your milestones with care as it's not necessarily the hairpins like on the staircase - on hardknott the hairpins are among the steepest bits iirc.
The descent is just as steep (when i did the c2c one guy who had been quite happy walking up packed at the bottom 'cos of the descent) but when you've done it wrynose seems easy by comparison.
I'd definitely check brakes work ok (for rosedale if nothing else...)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #57 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:54:07 pm »
also did the devil's staircase on the elenydd this year and rode up it but i would not be able to get up the hardknott without a few stops or some walking unless i was absolutely fresh on a good day.  The wrynose is much easier coming from that side - about the same as the staircase, but as stated before, the legs will be shot by then - i don't think i can complete this ride, so am intending to enter as soon as i get round to it!

and done
it's easier not to stop because the hardest thing is setting off again...

« Reply #58 on: 01 May, 2012, 11:26:39 pm »
OK, I will inform the lungs and they can argue it out with the legs  :sick:

on another note, am I correect that no extra time is allowed for the overdistance on this ride

Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #59 on: 02 May, 2012, 06:44:40 am »
I've ridden Hardknott before, but only with fresh legs and no luggage. I used a compact double - bottom gear of 34x27 and it was not too bad (I guess I was expecting worse). Even got a round of applause from some German tourists in a camper van at the top :).

Devils staircase on Yr Elenydd doesn't compare. Hardknott is steeper and much longer.

For this ride I'm gonna fit a MTB cassette and rear mech to give me a 34x32 or 34x34 bottom gear.  Gonna have ~500km in the legs by Hardknott and gonna need every help I can get!

Eddington: 114 Miles

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #60 on: 03 May, 2012, 12:34:59 am »
I use a 34 / 29 which made the D's Staircase a bit of an anti climax, as I said on the Elenydd thread - though I should have kept that to myself, as I later belatedly realised how demoralising that might have sounded to the folks who had to walk it - I still say/type what I think, and have little ability to judge how others take things, so apologies if I upset anyone!!

I shall be looking forward to these challenging climbs.

My climbing technique includes slow seated climbing, for best traction, pulling on the up stroke as well as pushing on the down, plus regular out of saddle for a change of muscle, but again at an often ridiculously slow speed, and again watching heart rate. 

We are all different, but I find that for me, heart rate is the deciding factor - I can easily ride faster, but then sooner or later I go into the red and overheat, hence my developed technique of riding slower to keep a lower heart rate...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Andy Corless

« Reply #61 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:41:05 pm »
It's a while now since my last communication so I thought I'd give a quick update on proceedings.

The route-sheet will be finished tomorrow and will be sent out over the next week, so all entrants should have their's in a week. Between Ripon and Helmsley there are two different routes; either the A19 via Thirsk and then over Sutton Bank or a quieter country lane route through Coxwold and over Wass Bank. Both are about the same distance so a route-sheet shall be issued for either version. Please feel free to follow either route.

Bad News: I've been unable to secure the facility at Melmerby for the sleep control.

Good News: I've found an alternative about 5-miles down the road (at about 390km) instead. I'm having a look tomorrow and all being well shall secure this for a food/sleep control.

I've also reserved the Sports Centre at Seascale (about 475km) for extra food/sleep if required.

Andy Corless
Organiser: Pendle 600

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #62 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:54:14 pm »
I have not had a route sheet yet. Just checked payment with paypal paid on January 1st - new years resolution  ;D

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #63 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:05:23 pm »
I have not had a route sheet yet. Just checked payment with paypal paid on January 1st - new years resolution  ;D

I've not had mine yet either. I'm hoping this is just that Andy has yet to send them out. Has anyone got one yet ?

« Reply #64 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:20:46 pm »
emailed him yesterday and he replied that things were going out soon - by the weekend

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #65 on: 24 May, 2012, 06:52:10 am »
S'pose I'd better rev-up the heat sealer at work then

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #66 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:01:23 am »

Not at the moment but coming in 2013.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #67 on: 25 May, 2012, 06:09:09 am »

Ridehard has pulled out so (if it's OK with you Bianchi Boy) there's room for a small one
Thanks for the kind offer teethgrinder but Ridehard and I have accepted Bianchi Boy's equally kind offer - see you in the Travel Lodge

Ridehard has pulled out but I am still in - so if it's OK with you Bianchi Boy, there's room for one more

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #68 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:27:51 am »

Ridehard has pulled out so (if it's OK with you Bianchi Boy) there's room for a small one

Ridehard has pulled out but I am still in - so if it's OK with you Bianchi Boy, there's room for one more

Yes - as long as I get the bed  :thumbsup:
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Andy Corless

« Reply #69 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:21:53 am »
emailed him yesterday and he replied that things were going out soon - by the weekend
Route-sheets have now been sent out!

Andy Corless

« Reply #70 on: 26 May, 2012, 10:30:21 am »
My route sheet is here!  :thumbsup:
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #71 on: 26 May, 2012, 10:38:45 am »
mine's not  :(

Any chance of an emailed one?  Anyway, I shall be riding up eskdale then over the hardknott and wrynose tomorrow morning, then on to Kendal, so I will let peeps know if there are any problems with the road surface/dead sheep/digging up the sewers etc etc

--> and it is in good nick apart from one bend descending the hardknott, worst thing was lack of water in the heat - 30 degrees at one point according to the machine.  Managed to ride them (into the brisk wind) without stopping but no chance of that with nearly 500k in the legs.  Not sure where the routesheet sends you to get to kendal, but the cycle path between Windermere and Staveley is a LOT smoother than the main road, even though it is very narrow in places (watch out for folk pootling along listening to their iPods).

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #72 on: 27 May, 2012, 04:20:37 pm »
I have just been busying myself doing some route tracking for this ride. I am now quite scared.

The climbing values from Bikehike are as follows -

1- 1,073
2- 1,560
3- 856
4- 353
5- 1,152
6- 1,047
7- 1,140
8- 1,298
9- 896

Giving a total of 9,375. Now I am not an expert but I thought BikeHike underestimated the total climbing stats?
I hope the weather stays fine because I do not think I will be at the manned control before breakfast on Sunday. I do not anticipate an early finish.  ???

I am not complaining, just wondering how much I had had to drink when I signed up for this.

« Reply #73 on: 27 May, 2012, 05:06:50 pm »
I think you need to leave melmerby at 383k by about 7:30am to be on track for 15kph.  I am expecting about an hour of rest if I am lucky, then to collapse somewhere around Little Langdale and not make the Carnthorth control!  Do we get 15 or 14.3?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #74 on: 27 May, 2012, 07:46:35 pm »
Neither. BRM 600s get a straight 40 hours, no extra time allowance for over-distance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...