Author Topic: Getting your non-IT savvy parents online  (Read 4408 times)

Getting your non-IT savvy parents online
« on: 19 May, 2009, 05:19:55 pm »
There will soon be another attempt to connect the Pluck progenitors to the rest of the planet. Advice please.

1. Wireless. I don't have wireless as I have no need for it and know little about it. How reliable is it? When connections are lost / the power goes off for a bit and everything resets / the olds have a bit of finger trouble, how easy is it to restore the connection? Is it more hassle than it is worth? I see the default BT installation seems to be wireless, and it might suit whaat my parents need to connect - one PC and 1 or 2 laptops. Stick with cables?

2. Remote access: easily configured? Any good programmes or is the Windoze version OK? When I go over there, what info about my own PC do I need to take in order to be able to set up the connection from their end, or how is it best done? Likely to be Vista at both ends.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Getting your non-IT savvy parents online
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »
I stick with cables because there is one less thing to go wrong.

I use Apple Remote Desktop, but if it was PC I'd probably use LogMeIn
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:32:15 pm »
Sounds like a non-IT savvy Sergeant Pluck.

I agree with Jaded, stick to cables unless space/access is a problem. You will normally need a cable connection to setup a wireless net anyway so start with desktop via cable and laptop wireless once all is OK. PC remote access via LogMeIn is good.  I use it from home to support company PC users if I'm out of office.

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:35:15 pm »
Sounds like a non-IT savvy Sergeant Pluck

Absolutely. But one way or another, by finding solutions on the web or here, I usually manage to get most issues sorted out unless something has gone "pop". But my parents are not yet in a position to do that kind of search for assistance or info.

Thanks for the tip re Logmein.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:35:34 pm »
Mrs MV's mum is 70, and I set them up with a  Linux laptop with wireless.  It works a charm and never causes any problems.

Last year the Guardian rated Ubuntu as the best OS to use on a grannyputer - it's stable, secure and they really can't mess it up.  If they're not Win geeks, they won't find it really any different.  Or possibly even understand that it isn't Win.

« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:37:21 pm »
I tend to just use the Windows remote as that does everything, and is really easy to set up (i.e. just tick the box that says "allow other users to connect to this computer").   Where the issues lie though is in getting the firewalls configured to allow the access in that far.

You will be setting up proper firewalls on the router, and not just relying on windows firewall I trust ;)

The last "remote support" I did on the fly was via the MSN remote access when the user asked for help.  Again nothing to set up, she just sent the invite and I clicked the acceptance link.

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:49:40 pm »
This is already sounding too complicated. Setting up firewalls on the router? What's wrong with 'doze Defender and AVG or similar?

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:01:15 pm »
nowt wrong with software firewalls on the PC, but it means that all internet traffic (including attacks) will be hitting the PC's network card.  This also means the machine is vulnerable should the software crash, and at boot while the software is starting up.

By having a firewall on the router you prevent all that traffic hitting the PC, so reduce the risk a lot more.

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:04:57 pm »
Don't routers already have inbuilt firewalls?

« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:09:26 pm »
Yes, I believe that most do. 

My comment was re remote support - you need to punch a secure hole in the firewall to allow the remote access (which most software solutions do by tunnelling out to start with)

I'll shut up now - it's been a long day.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:55:55 pm »
My laptop to wireless router connection has been highly reliable.  I have had intermittent problems with the modem (in the router) and broadband service - but that's got nothing to do with the wireless side of it.  You could get the same problems with a wired modem/router.

Once it's setup properly, if you do get problems, they're likely to correct themselves by either waiting a while or simply turning the equipment off and back on.

I would strongly recommend wireless if your parents have a laptop, and moderately recommend it for PC in an awkward place in relation to a phone socket.

I can't advise on setting up cos I can't remember how I did mine now.  But once it's done, it's done.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:58:15 pm »
Don't routers already have inbuilt firewalls?

I don't know if they all do, but it's dead easy to find even a cheap one that does.

« Reply #12 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:03:26 pm »
I agree with Jaded, stick to cables unless space/access is a problem. You will normally need a cable connection to setup a wireless net anyway so start with desktop via cable and laptop wireless once all is OK. PC remote access via LogMeIn is good.  I use it from home to support company PC users if I'm out of office.

I think I'll go with that advice.

Remote access: do I set it up from the remote end or from here?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:55:59 pm »
I don't think you should go with that advice if wireless would be more convenient.

You will normally need a cable connection to setup a wireless net anyway

No you don't need that for broadband access. You get a wireless router and connect it to the phone socket, then connect computer(s) to the router wirelessly (if you don't want them wired).

I don't need my PC downstairs running (that happens to be wired to the router) to use broadband on my laptop upstairs; just the router.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:08:26 pm »
Don't you need a cable to setup passwords etc??
It is simpler than it looks.

Craig

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »
Don't you need a cable to setup passwords etc??
I think it depends on the make / model of the router. Some require you to first connect via ethernet to enable the wireless/set passwords etc. You can then remove the ethernet connection, and just use wifi if you want.
Whereas other routers come out of the box with wifi enabled and no security, or the password set to a really obvious default.

« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:13:25 pm »
I don't think you should go with that advice if wireless would be more convenient.

You will normally need a cable connection to setup a wireless net anyway

No you don't need that for broadband access.  You get a wireless router and connect it to the phone socket, then connect computer(s) to the router wirelessly (if you don't want them wired).

I don't need my PC downstairs running (that happens to be wired to the router) to use broadband on my laptop upstairs; just the router.

You are so right. Just a shame you didn't read my post before quoting it.

"I don't think you should go with that advice if wireless would be more convenient" Is almost a precis of my "stick to cables unless space/access is a problem".

"You will normally need a cable connection to setup a wireless net "  My 2 routers needed a connected pc to configure the router access and security settings (but it was 2 years ago). It is quite likely that newer routers and better wireless connectivity has changed that.

"I don't need my PC downstairs running "  Does anybody ? Has anybody suggested that was so ? I also only need the router powered on to access broadband via laptop outside in the bike shed.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »
Another vote for LogMeIn.   :thumbsup:

I have my parents set up with it, and will get it on my brother's computer (I'm the family IT geek).  It's simple to use and has saved me having to have lots of protracted (international) telephone calls.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:22:56 pm »
I'm sorry I misunderstood your post, John, and I'm sorry for any offence caused, but I don't appreciate the tone of your reply.

I did read your post but I didn't take it in properly.

« Reply #19 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:28:16 pm »
My Dad's old Windows 98 laptop got thoroughly infested, so in the end I replaced it with a Mini Mac since (i) a half decent cheap flat screen monitor is much much better to see than a laptop screen (important when their vision is getting a bit poor) and (ii) OSX is much less prone to getting virus etc, admittedly mainly because it's much less targeted.  Having said that, if they haven't got a permanent location for it, then a laptop is probably a better idea.

Windows has got a lot better on the security front, but I'd still have to make sure that any Windows box had some sort of anti-virus and/or anti-malware software on it.

Wireless has a lot going for it, it saves having wires around that can be tripped over or jammed in doors.  You can put the router under a table next to the phone, or ideally screwed to the wall, and it's out of the way, and safe from damage.  Modern wireless routers are pretty reliable, they rarely loose the connection.  The worst case scenario is that they need to power cycle it, and give it a couple of minutes to reboot.  Since this is almost normal behaviour with Windows problems, I can't imagine it'll be that difficult to get used to.

If you've got the router that is recommended by your ISP, it'll probably be fairly reliable on that connection, otherwise they'd have thousands of support calls to deal with.
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »
As Craig said, it is often possible to set up a router without a cable as long as the wireless is activated - you can do the security stuff over the wifi connection - but it's sometimes easier to use an ethernet connection, and I'm always slightly nervous of the recursiveness of using a wifi connection to set up a wifi connection...

« Reply #21 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:34:12 pm »
It is often possible to set up a router without a cable as long as the wireless is activated - you can do the security stuff over the wifi connection - but it's sometimes easier to use an ethernet connection, and I'm always slightly nervous of the recursiveness of using a wifi connection to set up a wifi connection...

...and if you fluff something up, you're up a river without a paddle.  Since pretty much every box that I've ever used which has WiFi also has Ethernet, all you need is a short cable and your life has become easier.  The only exception I've had to worry about is the remote control for my Squeezebox, which is purely WiFi.
Actually, it is rocket science.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:34:58 pm »
My Dad is 78 and Mum is 73.
They are not techy wizards but have teenage grandsons and other assistance available.

Dad has a desktop PC wired into the router on the top floor.

Mum and Dad each have laptops which connect wirelessly to the router. This works well for them.
I think this is a 'normal' household set-up.

Dad can't be bothered to secure his network though.

« Reply #23 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:43:44 pm »
Set their router up with dyndns.org or similar, and enable remote access on their router. Change the default password on the router. The remote port on the router is often 8080, but check first.

That way, you can go to http://elderlyparents.dyndns.org:8080 and sign into the router, from anywhere. That lets you see if the router is there and working without having to get them to do anything at all. You can also see which computers if any are connected.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #24 on: 19 May, 2009, 10:02:51 pm »
I'm sorry I misunderstood your post, John, and I'm sorry for any offence caused, but I don't appreciate the tone of your reply.

I did read your post but I didn't take it in properly.

Biggsy, you may see how I failed to appreciate your reply as well.

However, if you disliked the way you read it then I appologise, it was written too quickly without proof reading and was not intended to upset.