Author Topic: do i need a netbook?  (Read 4917 times)

Re: do i need a netbook?
« Reply #25 on: 02 September, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »
Anyway, squished between tablets and small laptops, the remaining market for devices with reduced size keyboards etc. will evaporate.
If that is what you think a netbook is, then you are correct.

However it isn't what I consider a netbook.

Like I said, this is semantics, what you'd call a netbook, I'd call a small laptop. It's all to do with sizes and formats, most users have moved beyond what's inside,
As someone who works for a chip-design company, I disagree.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #26 on: 02 September, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »
What you'd call a small laptop is being marketed as a netbook now, & there are vast numbers of 'em on the market. Tesco has 62 on its website, called netbooks.

Agreed, it's a semantic thing. "Netbook" always covered a range. The bottom end is probably transmuting into tablets & spoiled phones, & the term now means the top end, i.e. the bottom end of the laptop range. As with 'notebook', it's a marketing term. But there is certainly a market - and a pretty big one - for what it now refers to, i.e. mobile internet enabled mini-laptops, & I foresee that market continuing to thrive.

My problem with 'em is the performance/Windoze thing. One of my main reasons for wanting one is to use it for applications which, because of the user base, are overwhelmingly Windows-only. Mac versions are often available, but usually a generation or three behind the Windows releases. You want a Linux version? Dream on . . .  :(

I'm therefore pretty well stuck with Windows.

By netbook, I've always meant something with a smaller form factor - so 2/3rd size keyboard etc. like my Acer Aspire. One thing the concept of netbook has done is demonstrated the point that devices weighing four kilogram and with battery life below two hours stretch the definition of portable. Technology and finally battery life has changed that and I totally agree that there is a big market for the new devices whatever we opt to call them. For cut-down laptops, no. I think my initial point, somewhat lost in this, is that for a few grams more, users can get a full-size keyboard, ample resolutions, and effectively a full laptop. That'll win out. It'll probably cost more, but tech companies don't want to sell you cheap stuff on low margins.

Anyway, I'm buying a MacBook Air. I've no idea if its a netbook or mini-laptop, but I have verified that it's shiny.

Like I said, this is semantics, what you'd call a netbook, I'd call a small laptop. It's all to do with sizes and formats, most users have moved beyond what's inside,
As someone who works for a chip-design company, I disagree.

As one of the mugs that has to sell technology to the masses, I'd disagree. Computers are rapidly becoming commodity items like TVs and toasters. People want to plug them in and do their email, update Facebook, tweet that they're on the bog, that kind of thing. They don't much care if it's a Pentanium x9 quadra apple-core under the hood provided their videos don't stutter. It's a like a fridge, I care that my beer is perfectly chilled, not what the wattage of the compressor is.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 02 September, 2011, 03:09:21 pm »
The macbook Air will run Final Cut Pro
It is simpler than it looks.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #28 on: 02 September, 2011, 03:12:54 pm »

At a grand a pop, I'd expect it to bloody well make the tea too!
Pen Pusher

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 02 September, 2011, 03:14:44 pm »
 ;D

Well, if people want machines that don't stutter when playing back video  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 02 September, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »

At a grand a pop, I'd expect it to bloody well make the tea too!

Surely that's a job for the domestic staff?

« Reply #31 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:16:12 pm »
tech companies don't want to sell you cheap stuff on low margins.

apple don't.

Other companies would rather shift large volumes at low margins. That's the model ARM and my employers follow and why we are ftse250 companies and why my share bonus is a third of my salary.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

border-rider

« Reply #32 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:24:00 pm »
And to be honest, an iPad is almost there as an on-the-road replacement.

I can't write a technical report on an iPad, take meeting minutes in real-time, crunch data or easily prepare & share a presentation. 

Tiny laptops FTW :)

All the meetings I go to these days, everyone sits round with netbooks, except a few corporate types who have to lug a "secure" 15" laptop halfway round the planet.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:59:11 pm »
My netbook satisfies most of my needs. I am happy.
David has an iPad and a Macbook Pro, which satisfy most of his needs.
We are different. Horses for courses, innit?
(My netbook cost about 15% of David's combo.)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #34 on: 02 September, 2011, 10:50:04 pm »
Atom processors work absolutely fine if you throw extra memory in and run a slim version of Linux on them.  XP on an Atom with a gig of memory or less is always going to be a painful experience. My old eeePC 700 thing has 2 gigs of memory and can run full Ubuntu OK; it's a bit snappier running something with a less bloaty GUI though, and if I run Crunchbang on it, it flies.

A very good point. I was considering trying a Linux distro, but decided to go the 'upgrade to 2G memory' route. We'll see if that improves things (I'm sure it will)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

ed_o_brain

« Reply #35 on: 03 September, 2011, 02:49:05 am »
Win XP will run fine on a netbook with 1GB of ram, if you strip out all the crap you never use.

I've got a first generation Acer Aspire One, and it will quite happily stream video (iplayer and youtube) onto our TV (1280 x 1080) without any juddering. It's had all sorts of things thrown at it, and it's been thrown about a bit too. And the best part is you seldom know you've got it with you.

I'm a touch typist and as soon as I start recording notes, browsing the internet or messaging without a keyboard, I start getting very frustrated. So the netbook format works well for me.

BTW: I would argue the size and format is only half the story. It's the low manufacturing cost and low power consumption being the other half. Hence we also have 'nettop' PCs for the desktop. I'm thinking about running one of these as a replacement to the old desktop PC hidden under the TV to stream youtube/iplayer to the TV, support interweb browsing on the TV, run bit-torrent gubbins over night and also act as an rsync/backup/print server.

I'm also thinking of employing a couple of nettop PCs to power viewing stations at events where I'm providing photography and on-site printing.

« Reply #36 on: 04 September, 2011, 01:54:30 pm »
I would argue the size and format is only half the story. It's the low manufacturing cost and low power consumption being the other half.

Definitely, a net book is not just a small laptop. Small laptops have always been available but they are high spec and made for the corporate market and costs of £1,000 or more, or several times the cost of a basic full sized laptop.

I think my initial point, somewhat lost in this, is that for a few grams more, users can get a full-size keyboard, ample resolutions, and effectively a full laptop.

Err...a netbook's around 1.1 - 1.2kg; a full sized laptop costing slightly more is around 2.5kg, that's more than double the weight. Yes you can a light laptop (maybe 1.5kg) that is bigger than a netbook but then the price would be more like £1,000 not £200-£300.

David Martin

« Reply #37 on: 04 September, 2011, 10:13:17 pm »
Win XP will run fine on a netbook with 1GB of ram, if you strip out all the crap you never use.

My problem is that I don't know windows OS enough to know what all the services etc are. It would take some time to go through and clear all the junk out. It is easy enough with a linux distro - I know my way round that.

« Reply #38 on: 08 September, 2011, 11:54:16 am »

My problem is that I don't know windows OS enough to know what all the services etc are. It would take some time to go through and clear all the junk out. It is easy enough with a linux distro - I know my way round that.

I'm curious about this as well. What would you strip out?

David Martin

« Reply #39 on: 09 September, 2011, 12:03:23 am »
It seems to be a bit better with 2Gb RAM now.

What andhow should I prune?

..d

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #40 on: 09 September, 2011, 01:41:57 am »
For Windows services, there's a useful guide here: http://www.blackviper.com/category/guides/service-configurations/
It specifies which services can be safely disabled, and whether its worth doing.

Also, run "msconfig" to check what is running on startup.

You can also adjust the settings for appearance, ie set it to Windows classic style, and turn off the transition effects etc. Usually makes it a bit faster.

« Reply #41 on: 09 September, 2011, 01:48:28 am »
Not sure offhand, but there used to be info on doing so on the eeepc forum:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/

I *think* there might even be a stripped down installer, but I could be making that up..the 701 subforum might be the place to start since they were the first out without windoze. A general search for 'installer' gives lots of hits, might need a bit of creative searching.

There'll be a wiki for the eeepc too. mebbe some info there...

ah, bottom of this post  http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6985
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

not sure that was exactly what I was thinking of, but might be what you're after...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #42 on: 09 September, 2011, 07:03:28 am »
I have a Toshiba and it is woefully underpowered and has a crap keyboard. Web browsers hang for ages, video when it does play is really jerky. That is XP on an Atom procesor. I presume modern ones are better?

For the activities I tend to use it for, the Asus transformer is much better.

It doesn't have a performance/power trade off app does it (I don't mean the windows panel). My atom (admittedly dual core) Acer has, and video stutters on low performance, but can (just) play an HD source at high performance.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #43 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:32:11 am »
I have a Toshiba and it is woefully underpowered and has a crap keyboard. Web browsers hang for ages, video when it does play is really jerky. That is XP on an Atom procesor. I presume modern ones are better?

For the activities I tend to use it for, the Asus transformer is much better.

It doesn't have a performance/power trade off app does it (I don't mean the windows panel). My atom (admittedly dual core) Acer has, and video stutters on low performance, but can (just) play an HD source at high performance.

I've got a Toshiba (NB200 - 1GB RAM, Atom processor) as well. In power saving mode the videos are really jerky, but change to a higher power mode and the videos play fine.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!