Author Topic: The Lympics closing ceremony  (Read 19703 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Lympics closing ceremony
« Reply #275 on: 14 August, 2012, 08:47:20 pm »
Also works in rtorrent, which is by all accounts the most Linuxy[1] torrent client out there.

What's the error you're getting?

[1] Read: finicky and hard to use.

« Reply #276 on: 15 August, 2012, 03:41:34 am »
I had to install Wine first and then the torrents started working ok.

Thanks for the assistance provided, I searched for an answer which reminded me of the Wine Programme which I have never used for years and my computer now has a Windows virtual C drive on it. I  downloaded the link yesterday, clicked the icon on my download page and it sprang to life as it should do.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Martin

« Reply #277 on: 15 August, 2012, 10:57:37 am »
a heads up to anyone who hasn't seen the stunning rings hanging from Tower Bridge;

they are coming down next Tuesday to be replaced by the Paralympic logo (which also looks fantastic)

definitely worth going at night too when the bridge is all lit up  :)

« Reply #278 on: 15 August, 2012, 11:14:59 am »
Useful fact: the Paralympic logo is called the "Agitos", from the Latin for "I move".
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #279 on: 15 August, 2012, 11:19:15 am »
I didn't know 'Possum' (in Latin) means 'I can', either, until a couple of days ago.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #280 on: 17 August, 2012, 08:43:01 am »
Just want to say a special thanks to Sam for those Olympic Ceremony links which I have thoroughly enjoyed watching once I got them working :D

The closing Ceremony was, I feel, the better one.

Thanks again.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #281 on: 20 August, 2012, 12:59:52 am »
The two ceremonies worked well as a pair. I enjoyed the Danny Boyle effort, but I was left feeling that it suffered from 'Jerusalem Syndrome'. There aren't any Satanic Mills left, except as tourist attractions, and 'Was Jerusalem founded here, among these light industrial units and highly-automated distribution facilities ?' wasn't going to be articulated.
I liked the trucks, cars, taxis and indeed bicycles of the closing ceremony for that reason, it was about the present, not about a dismal past which justifies a dream of a perfect future.
I liked the 'Imagine' segment, people of all nations and religions had been competeing against each other, yet most of their time was spent just being with each other, so I liked the apparent contradiction of the idea of no countries and no religion too. It's the barriers between countries that forms the basis of the Olympics, but it's an experience which breaks down those barriers.
I also liked Ed Sheeran doing 'Wish You Were Here', and who were those Ukrainian girls doing an impromptu dance number? They looked fun.

AndyK

« Reply #282 on: 20 August, 2012, 08:18:48 am »
The two ceremonies worked well as a pair. I enjoyed the Danny Boyle effort, but I was left feeling that it suffered from 'Jerusalem Syndrome'. There aren't any Satanic Mills left, except as tourist attractions, and 'Was Jerusalem founded here, among these light industrial units and highly-automated distribution facilities ?' wasn't going to be articulated.

The opening ceremony was about the history of Britain and the transition from a pastoral life to an industrial life. The industrial revolution was a large part of our, and the world's, history. There are a lot of things that aren't there any more, should we therefore just forget our history?

I thought the opening ceremony was light years ahead of the closing ceremony. The closing ceremony was what it should be, a party with not a lot to say except to have a good time and enjoy yourselves laughing at ageing rockers. As for the traffic, great, let's celebrate gridlock and dangerous roads.  ::-)

« Reply #283 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:01:59 am »
I got bored after 45 minutes so didn't see anything beyond the athletes filing in, but thought I'd catch it on iplayer.

I thought the opening ceremony was pretty good, but the closing ceremony was undoubtably a bit crap and not really thought out.  I see that there was a massive balloon release  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

The opening ceremony had symbolic doves (the cyclists with wings) which was a fantastic environmentally friendly action.  In comparison, the closing ceremony released a load of balloons which will inevitably lead to bird & mammal deaths.   >:(

« Reply #284 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:51:47 am »

The opening ceremony was about the history of Britain and the transition from a pastoral life to an industrial life. The industrial revolution was a large part of our, and the world's, history. There are a lot of things that aren't there any more, should we therefore just forget our history?

I thought the opening ceremony was light years ahead of the closing ceremony. The closing ceremony was what it should be, a party with not a lot to say except to have a good time and enjoy yourselves laughing at ageing rockers. As for the traffic, great, let's celebrate gridlock and dangerous roads.  ::-)

The opening cermony went beyond the post-industrial world, to embrace social media. Leaping from the Beatle obssessed world of the legacy generation, to the world of Facebook, via a very choppy wedding disco. But the spectacle was facilitated by the work of an economically active generation, who were driving trucks, unloading props and erecting scenery. The ideas predominated over the work.
The closing ceremony made the workaday world more explicit. It was a shame that the arms of the Union Flag didn't stretch beyond the symbolic M25, as it gave the impression of London as an island unto itself.
The Spice Girls section was a bit unrealistic, as outside an entertainment setting they would have been required to wear head protection and be tethered by a suitable harness.

red marley

« Reply #285 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:00:23 am »
I thought giving each of the spice girls a Zimmer frame was rather apt. Given the expression on Ms Beckham's face during the whole performance, perhaps only she realised the joke was on them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #286 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:54:30 am »
The Opening Ceremony told a story.

The Closing ceremony was a party.

I don't think there is much more to say than that.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #287 on: 20 August, 2012, 12:16:15 pm »
The Opening Ceremony told a story.

The Closing ceremony was a party.

I don't think there is much more to say than that.

The opening ceremony was les Miserables meets a mash-up of every jukebox musical in the West End, and the closing ceremony was Starlight Express with added articulated lorries and newspaper taxis. The closing ceremony even had a Lloyd Webber, albeit Julian.

AndyK

« Reply #288 on: 20 August, 2012, 12:43:09 pm »
The opening ceremony was Danny Boyle spending £20million of our taxes telling David Cameron and the coalition they're c**ts. Best £20million spent ever.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #289 on: 20 August, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »
The opening ceremony was Danny Boyle spending £20million of our taxes telling David Cameron and the coalition they're c**ts. Best £20million spent ever.  :thumbsup:

The opening ceremony was focused at the kind of person who posts on forums. The closing ceremony was focused at the kind of person who drives a lorry. Which is why we see so much written about the opening ceremony, even on threads about the closing ceremony.