Author Topic: Lezyne 'Super' GPS  (Read 3078 times)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
Lezyne 'Super' GPS
« on: 13 October, 2019, 08:44:28 am »
Hello. Recently purchased one of the above Head units (y10 model). Sorry to say it has been very far from 'Super' so far. Whilst it works OK for short routes I could not get the blasted thing to import a .tcx file for a DIY 200km audax that I'd saved to the companion Lezyne Ally app. Luckily my riding companion had the route saved on his GPS so no big deal but could have been very frustrating. Is it user error on my part or has anyone else experienced this issue? Going back to the tried and trusted Edge 200 (which works fine and has never let me down, not sure why I changed!) Thanks

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Lezyne 'Super' GPS
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:51:58 am »
I shall watch for replies with interest.  I'm wondering if its time to move away from Garmin to either a Lezyne, Wahoo or Karoo.

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:59:45 am »
I’ve got one, but have only ever used it for recording rather than navigating.

Have you had success on shorter routes with the same route creation and upload approach? If so, I’d guess at a size thing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:13:05 am »
I shall watch for replies with interest.  I'm wondering if its time to move away from Garmin to either a Lezyne, Wahoo or Karoo.

Intrigued. Are you thinking of "moving away from Garmin" because you are dissatisfied with their machine's performance, or because you fancy buying yourself a new toy?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:13:35 am »
HK has a couple of Lezyne GPSs and both have lost the cover over the charge port. Both are only used for recording tracks with Garmins or Wahoos used for routefinding.

No additional Lezynes will be coming into this house. Wahoo is the preferred option with a couple of Garmin models following.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:20:20 am »

Intrigued. Are you thinking of "moving away from Garmin" because you are dissatisfied with their machine's performance, or because you fancy buying yourself a new toy?

Yes I do fancy a new toy.  But I also think the way a smart phones now work with a head unit via a companion app is very clever.  Among other things I think it makes creating and uploading routes easier without the use of a laptop.  I could be wrong on this point hence taking an interest in this fred.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:25:44 am »
Look at the big Wahoo, according to HK.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:29:37 am »
Look at the big Wahoo, according to HK.

Yes the Wahoo Elemnt Roam has caught my eye as has the Hammerhead Karoo.  I'm not going to be buying either yet, still in the research stage.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:54:11 am »
But I also think the way a smart phones now work with a head unit via a companion app is very clever.  Among other things I think it makes creating and uploading routes easier without the use of a laptop...

Yes that was my line of thought. However the issue I had yesterday syncing the head unit to the app now means I'll always have in the back of my mind that it's a bit flakey. I'll take the extra faff of connecting the Garmin to the laptop for the peace of mind that the route is safely saved. FWIW my 7yo bog std Garmin Edge200 has been superb for audax. Bombproof, long battery life (and still works whilst charging from an external power pack) and basic breadcrumb trail is absolutely fine for navigating on roads.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:23:24 am »
Have you had success on shorter routes with the same route creation and upload approach? If so, I’d guess at a size thing.

yes I did wonder if that might be the case. But it was only 200km, pretty poor if that's the case as its not a particularly unusual use case for lots of cyclists including outside the audax community

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2019, 04:15:34 pm »
HK has a couple of Lezyne GPSs and both have lost the cover over the charge port. Both are only used for recording tracks with Garmins or Wahoos used for routefinding.

No additional Lezynes will be coming into this house. Wahoo is the preferred option with a couple of Garmin models following.

I had the same with my Super GPS and with the 1 Lezyne light I had, both drowned due to the waterproofing being hopeless.
Waterproof in California and Waterproof in Scotland (or any other maritime climate) are evidently two totally different things...

All other manufacturers are sensible enough to use a soft stopper that moves clear of the port, Lezyne continue to use a medium/hard stopper that doesn't clear the port enough and ends up failing.

« Reply #11 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:20:12 pm »
I ha e had a hammerhead since just at the end of the Kickstarter. The screen is nice and big but the lack of any sound cues is a real problem for me.

I have also found the software very flaky. I tried using it for commuting and it could reset every 5 minutes.  Artery life was also very poor.

I am hanging in to see if they can get it to work but I could not recommend it in all consciousness.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:27:52 pm »
That’s interesting, thanks Chris.

« Reply #13 on: 20 October, 2019, 11:12:26 am »
I have used  Lezyne Super to navigate audax rides up to 600k. The only issues I have are very occasional freezing of the screen, which can only be solved by saving the ride and restarting the device, and the waterproof cover for the charging point dropping off. My reason for changing from Garmin was poor service life of two successive 800 series models.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #14 on: 01 November, 2019, 09:37:45 pm »
*update* turns out the issue was caused by some battery optimisation settings that run automatically on my phone (Huawei P20). There is a workaround detailed in the Lezyne support pages that seems to have fixed it.