Author Topic: Marmalade  (Read 72639 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Marmalade
« Reply #75 on: 03 December, 2012, 03:54:06 pm »
I doubt they'd make impressive marmalade. They have a high water content, thin skin and rather weak flavour.
They'd be OK in a fruit blend or for a mild teatime treat but it would be difficult to avoid an insipid result.

« Reply #76 on: 03 December, 2012, 04:04:55 pm »
We've only got about a dozen jars of last year's marmalade left, so we're looking forward to the new Seville season.

In other news, our guests at the weekend came equipped with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire, a jar of marmalade, a lemon and a cocktail shaker.  We provided ice and glasses.  Wow! That's a speedy way to get through marmalade (and gin).

« Reply #77 on: 03 December, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »
We've only got about a dozen jars of last year's marmalade left, so we're looking forward to the new Seville season.

In other news, our guests at the weekend came equipped with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire, a jar of marmalade, a lemon and a cocktail shaker.  We provided ice and glasses.  Wow! That's a speedy way to get through marmalade (and gin).

The marmalade didn't curdle? I've made marmaltinis in the past using the last few spoonfuls of fresh marmalade that don't fit in a jar, but adding ice just caused the marmalade to coagulate and form a lump in the bottom of the glass of gin.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #78 on: 03 December, 2012, 05:28:39 pm »
I doubt they'd make impressive marmalade. They have a high water content, thin skin and rather weak flavour.
They'd be OK in a fruit blend or for a mild teatime treat but it would be difficult to avoid an insipid result.

So it looks as though I should try Thai oranges. Currently I buy Tesco's marmalade which is quite cheap with a nothing special taste. I'll do a search for a Thai marmalade recipe.

Thanks.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #79 on: 03 December, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »
The marmalade didn't curdle? I've made marmaltinis in the past using the last few spoonfuls of fresh marmalade that don't fit in a jar, but adding ice just caused the marmalade to coagulate and form a lump in the bottom of the glass of gin.

Not al all. Mark (for that is the name of the bartender who came to stay) did spend a long time shaking the mix, and it came out as a slightly cloudy drink with no lumps at all.  I was impressed, not only by the delicious quaffability of it but also by the fact that, having mixed drinks for four of us, there was still some gin left over.

« Reply #80 on: 03 December, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »

Not al all. Mark (for that is the name of the bartender who came to stay) did spend a long time shaking the mix, and it came out as a slightly cloudy drink with no lumps at all.  I was impressed, not only by the delicious quaffability of it but also by the fact that, having mixed drinks for four of us, there was still some gin left over.

Hm. I'm guessing you didn't use chunky-cut marmalade then, like I did.  :-[
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #81 on: 03 December, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »
Aha, I see.  The quality of your cocktail is not strained. it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven with chunks in it.

Ours was strained.

« Reply #82 on: 08 December, 2012, 10:04:13 am »
So I made a microwaved marmalade as a first attempt. That proved that my microwave is too small 'cos I can't get a decent sized cooking dish inside. Hence much reduced quantities used and double cooking required to achieve some stock. Now the laugh. I know there are is a  tremendous variety of fruits grown in Thailand. I asked my wife to buy 1 kg of small oranges not knowing a small variety is also grown here and that's what she bought. Anyway, they had a nice taste and rather than waste them I decided to have a bash. I also used a lime instead of a lemon and one teaspoon of brown sugar which I saw recommended.
These oranges were very easy to peel and cut but a lot of time was spent cutting the peel into small strips
It took rather longer to set than I expected so I am now wondering if one can also overcook it?
The resultant taste is lovely and cost similar to Tescos whose marmalade is very cheap here.
Thanks WOW, my morning toast is now going to be rather delicious :thumbsup:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #83 on: 21 February, 2013, 11:01:31 am »
Yesterday Waitrose hadseville oranges at 99p a kilo, half the normal price, so I bought 3kg. I'll probably spend Saturday making a double batch, which should yield about 25 pots.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #84 on: 21 February, 2013, 11:43:12 am »
That's good news. I thought I'd missed this year's Seville oranges. Must get down to Waitrose before they all disappear. Or the local greengrocer, who usually has them even cheaper.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #85 on: 21 February, 2013, 12:32:36 pm »
Yesterday Waitrose hadseville oranges at 99p a kilo, half the normal price, so I bought 3kg. I'll probably spend Saturday making a double batch, which should yield about 25 pots.
I'll pop in tonight. If you left any for me!!! 
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #86 on: 23 February, 2013, 01:19:52 pm »
Bloody Wowbagger had the last of 'em!!   >:(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #87 on: 23 February, 2013, 01:22:48 pm »

I've got a kilo here, and I'm not sure I've got enough jam-jars. If you want to pop over to Surrey you can have 'em.  ;)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #88 on: 23 February, 2013, 01:29:22 pm »
.... don't forget that you can freeze Seville oranges and then make (more!) marmalade later in the year.   

Last year Mrs Rob froze about 4kg and then re-used the January manufacture jars for a new batch in July.  Looks like we've got some in the freezer again this year

Rob

« Reply #89 on: 23 February, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »
.... don't forget that you can freeze Seville oranges and then make (more!) marmalade later in the year.   

Last year Mrs Rob froze about 4kg and then re-used the January manufacture jars for a new batch in July.  Looks like we've got some in the freezer again this year

Rob

Ooh, that's handy to know.

<checks freezer space>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #90 on: 23 February, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »

I left quite a few. Besides, Waitrose had them on display until late March last year.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #91 on: 23 February, 2013, 10:42:17 pm »
Fuck*10237!

I've been boiling this stuff for hours, wondering why it won't set and it's dawned on me. I'm making double quantity. I only put 6lb sugar in when it should have been 12.

Bollocks!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #92 on: 23 February, 2013, 11:15:30 pm »
I have retrieved the situation.

I added 2lb sugar to the rapidly darkening broth simmering sullenly in the pan and it immediately thickened enough to jar it up. Predictably enough, I have about 18lb marmalade rather than the 23lb or so I ought to have had. Its fruit content per pot is also considerably more than it would otherwise have been.

The best analogy I can give is that the normal recipe is akin to a good single malt at about 40% alcohol. This is more like a cask-strength at about 60%. I am eating some now on bread. It's really good, but I don't think I'll be making that mistake again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #93 on: 24 February, 2013, 05:03:10 pm »

I left quite a few. Besides, Waitrose had them on display until late March last year.

Fatters, there were no Seville oranges today, but a sign saying "temporarily unavailble", the implication being that they are expecting some more in.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #94 on: 23 March, 2013, 09:25:59 am »
I have just had a couple of slices of toast with some of the marmalade I made a month ago.

It is very strongly-flavoured indeed! Two slices of toast were quite enough.  :D

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #95 on: 23 March, 2013, 10:43:53 am »
I might try repeating your mistake deliberately if ever I make marmalade.  I like it strong.  (I asked about it upthread, when then the only idea was to add more lemon).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #96 on: 11 October, 2013, 07:18:48 pm »
I'm making a batch at the moment. It's definitely an activity for a non-cycling day and today has been awful weather-wise. To think that less than 3 days ago I was cycling home from choir at 10pm in my shirtsleeves. This morning we had an hour's blast from the central heating.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #97 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:54:10 am »
I noticed yesterday that the Seville oranges have appeared in Waitrose. The pretentious buggers have packaged them in an attractive (!?) cubic cardboard box, rather than leaving them loose like they do for most of their oranges. It seems to me that Seville oranges always look a lot scruffier than other varieties. £2.49 a kilo. Far too much. When the price comes down I shall buy some.

Fatters! I shall send you a text when I see them at a lower price.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #98 on: 04 January, 2014, 01:23:00 pm »
£2.00/kg at Sainsbury's at the moment.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #99 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:50:25 pm »
Wowbagger's Brother's Vintage Shropshire Marmalade

Skim out the pips, which will rise to the surface.

Inspired by this thread, and this recipe, I acquired some Seville oranges last week. I don't really like marmalade that much, so I'm not quite sure why (actually, I know exactly why - they were yellow-labelled in Sainsbury's, and I was suckered by the prospect of a bargain), but I got round to making the stuff last night.

Modified slightly - 1.5kg Seville oranges, 3 slightly tired ordinary ones, 2 lemons, some orange juice, and a bit less than a kilo of sugar, and simmered within an inch of its life so it's dark and caramelised - and it seems to be a little bit addictive. Got 8 and a half Bonne Maman jars out of it, and there isn't very much left in the half-a-jar, so I'm quite pleased with it. (So's my wife, who doesn't like marmalade either, but was looking for seconds of this stuff.)

But despite keeping a check on the pot, there never really seemed to be a time when there were lots of pips available to be skimmed off the top: I spent ages picking them out with a teaspoon, and there are still a fair number in the mix as jarred. What am I doing wrong ...?