Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753577 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3525 on: 10 January, 2013, 04:17:10 pm »
The chances of me coming back out again tonight on my bike are slim to zero.

Unlike my waist measurement.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3526 on: 10 January, 2013, 04:21:58 pm »
The chances of me coming back out again tonight on my bike are slim to zero.

We could all give you a group hug to warm you up!    :-*

« Reply #3527 on: 10 January, 2013, 04:41:52 pm »
What time is the Witham Departure tonight. Might be  slim chance of coming along.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3528 on: 10 January, 2013, 04:45:09 pm »
What time is the Witham Departure tonight. Might be  slim chance of coming along.

7pm at the roundabout

« Reply #3529 on: 10 January, 2013, 04:50:21 pm »

7pm at the roundabout

No Chance

« Reply #3530 on: 10 January, 2013, 06:24:23 pm »
I've got a night of faff ahead me ready for long weekend away so won't be out to play

Enjoy!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3531 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:03:00 pm »
A good turnout of 7, and a perfectly decent folk band playing.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3532 on: 11 January, 2013, 06:53:47 am »
A thoroughly decent evening awheel which I thought would be freezing cold, particularly the return journey, but it wasn't.  Huggy and I met up with Richard, a new chum from my Witham Cycling Facebook page, and made good time to the pub.  My lack of fitness wasn't quite as bad as I had thought although there is clearly much room for improvement.

There was a folk club playing and singing, one chap in particular was brilliant.  The beer was good as well and I managed not so get a smack in the chops from the barmaid when ordering a pint of "Old Nick's Nog" - easy to get in a tongue twist with that one.  Tomsk and Old Git were already installed when the three of us arrived, shortly after Wow and Del put in a surprise appearance.  I explained to Richard that he'd had the chance to meet some of mid-Essex's cycling glitterarti on his first outting and should count himself lucky.  To ram home the point I said it was like rocking up somewhere and encountering Brad Pitt - I think he was impressed.  During the course of the evening Del reached into his Carradice and made a donation to the cause.  I'm sure he will be along in a minute with some snaps and more will be explained.

On the way home we did some obligatory comedy off-roading as we passed under the A12 to the east of Great Baddow.  Richard and his full carbon Scott road bike coped well.  We also encountered a road resurfacing operation working on Hatty P's A12 slip road; I managed to avoid any piles of warm tarmac.

All in all a smashing evening in great company - many thanks   :-*  Our route.

« Reply #3533 on: 11 January, 2013, 11:36:27 am »
I have a confession.  :o Wowbagger and I did something last night that only fully consenting, adult, cyclists can do!  ::-)  :-[
Click the spoiler only if you are sure you can handle adult language! (OD you can ask someone at work to supervise if you're not at home)
(click to show/hide)

It was cold but at least it was dry, except for a couple of huge puddles and a water filled pothole that gave Wow a booty. I had just enough clobber on to be comfy and just had to add a pair of inner gloves for the return. Wow decided that the good people of Stock should here a folk rendition of ye olde songe "I was a mill worker until I retired" (real title lost in the cold of last night). Only four verses as he didn't remember the second verse until we got to Rayleigh. We also totally failed to ride our semi planned route home by missing the Middlemead turning!

OD mentioned that the flange of MEMWNS riders often had good ideas but they get forgotten somewhere between beer and waking up the next day, in a ditch/mother in laws bed. And wouldn't it be great if these good ideas were written down in some form of book, just a little one. As luck would have it I have a little book and donated said book. There is now an official
Little Book of BIG Idias Ideas and OD is currently the Secretary Keeper of the Book. Until such time as he can foist it off onto an unsuspecting Oaky, Chief, or Bloomers!  ::-)

As usual a top evening in top company.  :thumbsup:

True to form the MEMWNS stole the band table!

But since Wow and I bowled up we could argue we got the band back together.  :thumbsup:

OD was so drunk he couldn't hold his glass any more.

The Prospective NeuBouy, Richard, NOTP yet??

Old Git leaves early, VISITORS IN THE MORNING!.

OD and his Little Book Of BIG Ideas. Donated by myself but can someone please pass on some crayons for OD to use?

The Glitterati prepare to leave.

Battlesbridge weir/lock was a bit full of water and Wowbagger thought a moody shot was in order.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3534 on: 11 January, 2013, 11:54:53 am »
 ;D (I wasn't drunk  :smug:  )

The mid-Essex yacf Little Book of Big Ideas has already proved it's worth.  I have just dug it out of me Magic Mini Pannier (right hand only) TM and seen that I noted we thought it a great idea that we all have matching yacf tattoos!  And no, I'm not going first  ::-)

« Reply #3535 on: 11 January, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »
yacf tattoos!  And no, I'm not going first  ::-)
That's a relief.  :P I don't think the rest of us having a heart with Kirsty across it would be popular. No matter which part of the anatomy it was on! ;D

« Reply #3536 on: 11 January, 2013, 04:34:26 pm »
Yes, that was an interesting evening, wasn't actually sure how serious the guys were doing 40 miles in the cold! Nice to stretch my legs after a month out the saddle.

What's NOTP?

Richard

« Reply #3537 on: 11 January, 2013, 04:39:30 pm »
What's NOTP?
Not of this parish, ie not a yacf forumer. But now you are OTP and are most welcome.  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3538 on: 11 January, 2013, 04:41:17 pm »
Yes, that was an interesting evening, wasn't actually sure how serious the guys were doing 40 miles in the cold! Nice to stretch my legs after a month out the saddle.

What's NOTP?

Richard

Oh dear me, you've done it now.  First you come out on a MEMWNS ride, then ignoring all the warning signs you join up here.  Welcome to the slippery slope, I'm waving up at you from somewhere near the bottom  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3539 on: 11 January, 2013, 04:43:00 pm »

What's NOTP?

Richard

I don't think that any of our august party last night could be accused of being serious! And welcome, by the way.

OD is sucking his thumb in that picture.

I checked: the folk group is there on the second Thursday of each month. If we go again, I may well sing...  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3540 on: 11 January, 2013, 04:45:00 pm »
No, I think I'm picking my nose.  I can hear my mum now ...

"Don't do that Steven, it'll get stuck!"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3541 on: 11 January, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »
Surely you can do both at once?

Oh, and arising from the above, there seemed to be quite a few sideburns, in various states of repair, on the go. I think Slipgate won last night's sideburns prize, with OD second and Tomsk with a "more fertiliser required" award.

The Broadside was very good.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3542 on: 11 January, 2013, 06:15:59 pm »
....and Tomsk with a "more fertiliser required" award.

I'll have what you're having Wow, got any spare?  ;D

Top evening and welcome to yacf and the MEMWNS Chapter, Slipgate  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3543 on: 11 January, 2013, 10:06:33 pm »
Well, the seriousness of the evening was related to, 'Really?!?!', 40 miles, a few beers, cycle back, freezing cold, you've got to be bonkers to do this?!?!?

Oh, hang on, I see what I did there...

Thanks for the welcome. Makes a very pleasant change from cycling on me own.

Now, Arrows (that was the 300km York thing right?) - 24hrs cycling? Hmmm, my brain is telling me it's a bad idea, but I'll probably end up doing it anyway!

Makes the Lejog thing I did in '07 seem straightforward and quite tame!!! Have a look, it was a lot of fun - www.lejog07.net - for reference I'm 'rugboy/Lance' not sure that latter description is really worth having now!!!

Oh, and Wowbagger, I had me 'Wiggo's' way before he did!!!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3544 on: 11 January, 2013, 10:24:11 pm »
Ello slipgate welcome to the fold. God help you. Just look at the state of huggy. Where did you meet Steve; please let it be a public convenience please god let it be!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3545 on: 12 January, 2013, 08:49:23 am »
Slippy ("What's that Slippy? A helicopter crash?") joined the Witham Cycling Facebook group. The rest is history. No public toilets or parks were involved!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3546 on: 12 January, 2013, 09:36:52 am »
Oh well. Look forward to meeting you.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3547 on: 12 January, 2013, 09:37:26 am »
Now, Arrows (that was the 300km York thing right?) - 24hrs cycling? Hmmm, my brain is telling me it's a bad idea, but I'll probably end up doing it anyway!

Makes the Lejog thing I did in '07 seem straightforward and quite tame!!! Have a look, it was a lot of fun - www.lejog07.net - for reference I'm 'rugboy/Lance' not sure that latter description is really worth having now!!!

Richard, there is dedicated thread for the Essex Easter Arrow attempt, click HERE.  It's a minimum of 360k in 24 hours.  The start will be 9am-ish on Good Friday.  Your biggest challenge will be getting your bike back from York although plans are forming on the thread.  Unfortunately the roof of our car is full now.  Having seen you ride, and with your LEJOG experience, plus some prep I think you'll be OK.

« Reply #3548 on: 15 January, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »
Anyone out tomorrow? Call me fair weather but if it's wet it will be icy so I'll be staying in and cleaning all the accumulated mud and cow shit off my bike.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3549 on: 15 January, 2013, 01:41:35 pm »
I would if I was at home as I have ice tyres.  :smug:  But I will be away - bugger.