Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753489 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #8325 on: 20 November, 2015, 09:27:39 am »
Let's aspire to loftier ambitions.

Dully noted radio silence will be deployed  O:-)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8326 on: 20 November, 2015, 10:30:06 am »
Where's DL gone, he hasn't posted for at least an hour  ???
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #8327 on: 20 November, 2015, 10:46:57 am »
it's so dull in here now

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8328 on: 20 November, 2015, 11:14:22 am »
Why don't we try saying nice things about each other. Perhaps DL and ted would like to start?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8329 on: 20 November, 2015, 11:17:24 am »
And DL you're not allowed to tell ted how much you like his tits.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8330 on: 20 November, 2015, 11:18:30 am »
They're not half as good since he lost weight.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8331 on: 20 November, 2015, 01:09:55 pm »
;D ::-) & also :thumbsup:

...and on Sunday...I am thinking maybe possibly a run up to Newmarket

The first MEWBS ride? I'll join in if you'd like company - early start, intercept your route somewhere, breakfast at the 'Golden Lion'?

{For what it's worth I think we need a sane and sensible separate thread - despite the banter brightening up the day  :thumbsup:}

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8332 on: 20 November, 2015, 01:39:49 pm »
I have to say that I think an all embracing Mid-Essex weekend rides thread would be quite useful.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8333 on: 20 November, 2015, 05:38:13 pm »
I shall be spending the next few minutes emailing the producers of "Poldark" alerting them to Hurrells Lane after reading this piece on the interweb.  Granted Essex isn't Cornwall but it's a much easier to get to.

« Reply #8334 on: 21 November, 2015, 11:19:18 pm »
Tomsk, apologies for not getting back on the last post. After this mornings rather cold and damp outing I am waiting to see how things look.

I'll get that new thread up tomorrow!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8335 on: 23 November, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »
^ I decided to get my November 200 in - plan A was to do a 'Horse for Course' in reverse and breakfast in Newmarket, but after assessing the temperature and likelihood of ice I went the normal way via Lavenham. There was still some ice after then, but Suffolk seem to be more generous with the salt than Essex on most of the lanes.

By the way, if anyone is contemplating 'H4C', the café at Snetterton Park is closed for refurbishment over the winter [the shop and toilets are still open though and on a free-entry track day you could still go to the bar/café on the racetrack itself]. I made do with bonk rations and had a big blow-out at the Golden Lion in Newmarket. A bit of a slow ride, though not too much wind; think the 50 windy miles the day before made a difference!]

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8336 on: 23 November, 2015, 05:34:06 pm »
So, I think I might make it out this Wednesday  :o  Where shall we go?  But, the global HQ of Oscar's dad Inc. has an IT issue at the moment so I can't create or upload any routes.  Therefore I shall be looking for a wheel to suck.  Perhaps this is an opportunity to sit at the back chatting with ted, assuming that is he knows where we're going.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8337 on: 23 November, 2015, 07:31:23 pm »
Forward Planning Alert!! Carol singing at the Compasses, 8pm on Thursday 17th December [Yulefest Beer Festival - but Wednesday is a charity quiz night...though team MEMWNS could always enter...]

Re: This week - The re-vamped White Hart in Lt Waltham looked flourishing when I went past a couple of weeks back.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8338 on: 23 November, 2015, 08:05:05 pm »
Forward Planning Alert!! Carol singing at the Compasses, 8pm on Thursday 17th December [Yulefest Beer Festival - but Wednesday is a charity quiz night...though team MEMWNS could always enter...]

Re: This week - The re-vamped White Hart in Lt Waltham looked flourishing when I went past a couple of weeks back.

I think we should definately enter The Compasses quiz!  We have several really brainy members!

During the summer me and TCMR ate at The White Hart - not bad at all  :thumbsup:

Hang on, didn't I have a really good idea?  Whose turn is it to host???

« Reply #8339 on: 24 November, 2015, 08:35:26 am »
Work is a little to unpredictable for me to commit to anything on Wednesday at the moment but I need miles so will be doing everything I can to get out.

Any other Bryan Chapman entrants see the cheque cashed? Time to start looking at the plan!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8340 on: 24 November, 2015, 08:45:25 am »
Yep, Bryan Chapman cheque cashed. That is exciting! Motivation for the bleak winter months.

So after a recent lull it's back on the bike to regain the fitness I never had.

What's the plan Tippers?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8341 on: 24 November, 2015, 09:15:18 am »
Re tomorrow evening, how about somewhere in the environs of Braintree?

« Reply #8342 on: 24 November, 2015, 09:31:50 am »
The King Billy?

Carlos....the plan is...there is no plan...

I guess we could start to throw ideas around about how to get to Chepstow and back (Train or Team Car/s). The ride is the easy bit, as Judith Swallow says....get on your bike and pedal.

Back in May I stayed in the Coach and Hoses in Chepstow on the Sunday night and it was all good. I left my panniers there for the weekend as well. Not sure how it would be on Friday night, being above a pub it might not be the best place to try and get a good nights kip. The Travelodge on the other side of the river is good as you can park there for the weekend, it is quiet and the ride over the bridge in the morning is enjoyable (although I suspect that is weather dependent)

There is a good curry house in Chepstow as well which I visited on my return, it was amusing seeing them wondering when the other person was going to turn up!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8343 on: 24 November, 2015, 10:01:30 am »
No plan sounds like a good plan tippers. Some good options there.

Didn't Huggy upgrade the team van to Sky spec recently?

King Billy is OK for me.  Though ptsd might set in if I remember anything about the pickled eggs.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8344 on: 24 November, 2015, 10:05:20 am »
King Billy  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8345 on: 24 November, 2015, 01:27:49 pm »
I guess we could start to throw ideas around about how to get to Chepstow and back (Train or Team Car/s).
I have yet to have my 2016 riding signed off by the Home Office, however if I do enter BCM then I would (probably) drive the team van similar to when we went to Yorkshire this year for the 3 Coasts.  That would mean there are 2 passenger seats as long as you are friendly with each other and room for 7 or 8 bikes in the back, if unencumbered train/car travel is on anyone's plans.  That does of course all hang on me entering BCM in the first place and the clutch either being replaced or making it there in its current teenageresk moody state.

Didn't Huggy upgrade the team van to Sky spec recently?
The team van has very comfortable accommodation for one person at a time, possibly 2 if you get on well and don't use the bike garage facility.  Kitchen facilities are on board in the form of Trangia, no shower has yet been installed.  OD's en suite solution could be used but has not been tried up to now.

« Reply #8346 on: 24 November, 2015, 02:24:07 pm »
I have yet to have my 2016 riding signed off by the Home Office, however if I do enter BCM then I would (probably) drive the team van similar to when we went to Yorkshire this year for the 3 Coasts.  That would mean there are 2 passenger seats as long as you are friendly with each other and room for 7 or 8 bikes in the back, if unencumbered train/car travel is on anyone's plans.  That does of course all hang on me entering BCM in the first place and the clutch either being replaced or making it there in its current teenageresk moody state.
:thumbsup:

Get your permission slip and join the Type 2 fun Huggy.  ;D

Depending on what pans out I have provisionally been authorised use of the Volvo so depending on the Team Van I can accommodate a mix of people, luggage and bikes. At a squeeze 5 people and 5 bikes should be reasonably comfortable.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8347 on: 24 November, 2015, 05:16:33 pm »
okay, breaking the advance planning directive (not a rule), who's out on Wednesday 13th January?
 :smug:
(click to show/hide)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8348 on: 24 November, 2015, 05:26:42 pm »
Top banana!  Well done that man!

« Reply #8349 on: 24 November, 2015, 05:31:31 pm »
Awesome!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!