Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 284794 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
My son is scheduled to fly from Heathrow to Finland later today.

As long as the aeroplane scheduled for the flight is in the right place, he should be fine. After 1500 or so, it should be a more normal windy day.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Indeed. It’s the driving from Ardleigh to Heathrow which could be problematic. About now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We're having a "Saharan episode":

On the left, point-&-shoot pic with auto white balance, which compensates for the colour; on the right, where I set the WB to "cloudy", the way it looks right now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
TV weatherbod noted the approach of that last night.  It’s been caused by my neighbour, who washed his car yesterday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Random weather events of the past: behind Bath railway station there is a footbridge across the River Avon, which at this point has a path alongside it. Under the bridge you can see the levels of past floods marked. The river here is heavily canalised with high banks. The first one marked was January 1866 (presumably the canalisation didn't happen much before this) and from then to 31st December 1900 there are 11 floods recorded, including November 1894 which has still to be surpassed. From 1901 onwards, only four are marked, and none since 1960. I conclude (possibly spuriously) that in this location at least, improved flood controls and drainage trump rainfall.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

All the black planet slayers in our car park are currently rust coloured.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Buggrit.  The Fast-Appreciating Future Classic is also black (with a side order of pigeon poo).

ian

The sky above the jungles of Surrey is a Martian orange at the moment. The last time Martians arrived in Surrey they made quite a mess. Till they met the bears.

Beardy

• Shedist
I thought it was a corona virus that did for the Martians last time.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Here it's just a grade A grey day.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Caught from bears. I think that's what Jeff Wayne wrote.

Beardy

• Shedist
I’ve driven back to the Angles today under an orange sky I currently looking out at the same from my living room. It’s quite oppressive.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Caught from bears. I think that's what Jeff Wayne wrote.

I'm fairly sure there was weed involved, too.

Orange skies in Slough this morning then the rain came and washed it dull grey again. Still raining  :(
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Just Grey here today, orange would have been welcome
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

I found blobs of orangy brown coloured water on my bike today which has been left outside when it was raining most of the afternoon.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Driving into Haguenau this morning it was very easy to tell who had a covered parking and who didn't.  Made me feel quite superior driving a car that was merely dirty.

All the abrade-o-mats will be coining it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

In complete contrast to yesterday's Martian skyscape, today we have a cloudless, azure blue sky, pierced by maybe as many as a dozen spears of snow.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
(Looks out of window)

Many clouds to the southwest.  They’re breeding in the reservoir.  Or something.

(Looks out of window)

Many clouds to the southwest.  They’re breeding in the reservoir.  Or something.
Much can change with the weather, in the space of an hour.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
In complete contrast to yesterday's Martian skyscape, today we have a cloudless, azure blue sky, pierced by maybe as many as a dozen spears of snow.
I was in Saliusbury yesterday and missed out on the Exciting Dust from The Desert, on account of it pissing with rain, most of which fell on me.

In a not unrelated note I discovered my work supplied waterproof isn't.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

I was in Saliusbury yesterday and missed out on the Exciting Dust from The Desert, on account of it pissing with rain, most of which fell on me.

In a not unrelated note I discovered my work supplied waterproof isn't.
Not unrelated pub question:
Despite having (at 404 ft) the tallest spire in England, the foundations of Salisbury cathedral are only 4ft deep. It is built on a swamp.

ian

My windows are now dirty (the window cleaner came last week, of course). As is the front of my house (mostly black-painted wood). Fortunately, we have the last car in the UK that is parked in a garage when not in use.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Between the autumnal and vernal equinoxes, my weather station recorded just two frosts. On 29th November, the temperature dropped to -0.3°C, and on 6th Jan it fell to -0.5°C.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Gosh, we’ve had dozens here on the continent over that time.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk