Author Topic: Six Nations  (Read 250516 times)

Re: Six Nations
« Reply #75 on: 10 February, 2009, 05:49:26 pm »
My Dad has a debenture seat at the Millennium Stadium so am off to see the Wales v England match on Saturday, am so excited!!!  :thumbsup: Anyone else going?

Me!  :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed on the roof being closed, although both teams have to agree, and England didn't last time. 

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #76 on: 10 February, 2009, 05:58:19 pm »
Fingers crossed on the roof being closed, although both teams have to agree, and England didn't last time. 
I've been in the Millennium Stadium with the roof close and it is very impressive, but I can understand why England (or other teams for that matter) would not agree to it being close.  Running rugby & silky skills are more difficult with a wet ball, but it's an outdoors sport and being able to cope with the weather is something a team has to overcome. 
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #77 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:02:45 pm »
Although I can understand why the poofballers would want it shut, what with their hairstyles and that.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #78 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:33:41 pm »
Although I can understand why the poofballers would want it shut, what with their hairstyles and that.

But Gavin Henson has been ruled of the game hasn't he?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #79 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »
My Dad has a debenture seat at the Millennium Stadium so am off to see the Wales v England match on Saturday, am so excited!!!  :thumbsup: Anyone else going?

Me!  :thumbsup:

I understand why. I agree with adamski, it's an outdoor game.

Debenture seats  . . . I used to have occasional access to one at Twickenham. I had to sleep with the daughter of one of the RFU committee to do it, but that wasn't actually a hardship. More of a bonus, really.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #80 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:42:35 pm »
I really must get around to a visit to the Millennium Stadium. I've been to the old Arms Park / National Stadium, St. Helen's (Swansea) to watch cricket, not rugby, Murrayfield, and Twickers at least 3 times. The most prestigious ground I've played on was Preston Grasshoppers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #81 on: 11 February, 2009, 09:06:20 am »
Found out at the last minute it was on... Gee, must be busy. Caught a bit of the France game; didn't miss much it seems! <sigh>
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Si

« Reply #82 on: 11 February, 2009, 11:34:45 am »
Found out at the last minute it was on... Gee, must be busy. Caught a bit of the France game; didn't miss much it seems! <sigh>

I humbly beg to differ!  Twas a fine game, and although the French lost they still made a worthy and entertaining showing, unlike another side I could mention.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #83 on: 11 February, 2009, 01:29:56 pm »
I really must get around to a visit to the Millennium Stadium. I've been to the old Arms Park / National Stadium, St. Helen's (Swansea) to watch cricket, not rugby, Murrayfield, and Twickers at least 3 times. The most prestigious ground I've played on was Preston Grasshoppers.

It is a beautiful stadium Mr Wow, and when the roof is shut it is the most amazing cacophany of noise, expectation and drama. I cannot wait for Saturday.

« Reply #84 on: 11 February, 2009, 01:40:41 pm »
Apparently Twickers is much better now that the South Stand work is complete. The noise generated by the crowd stays within the stadium rather than leaking out.

Haven't been there since it has been done.

« Reply #85 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:27:39 am »
I see Wales are now 4th in the IRB worls rankings! 

Really Ancien

« Reply #86 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:36:38 am »
The most prestigious ground I've played on was Preston Grasshoppers.

Home of the frightening man on the left.

An account of the match makes for great reading.
Caught in time - Times Online

The thought of Wade Dooley running a tea room in Wrea Green is an interesting one.

Damon.

« Reply #87 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:50:21 am »
the millenium stadium is absolutely stunning, roof open or closed, I went to watch wales argentina (I think) in 1999 and the noise during the anthems was absolutely incredible.  The only other place that's been close to that atmosphere for me was St James' park in Newcastle where it feels like you're almost on top of the pitch. 

I havent been to twickenham since the building work, but the angle of the tiers of seats seems much flatter there, so it doesnt feel quite so intense.  Well worth a trip to Cardiff, if you can get tickets.

« Reply #88 on: 13 February, 2009, 12:03:27 pm »
The thought of Wade Dooley running a tea room in Wrea Green is an interesting one.

Damon.
The thought of constable Dooley arresting the miscreants of Lancashire, however, seems entirely right.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #89 on: 13 February, 2009, 12:27:10 pm »
Went to 4 matches at the Millenium Stadium in the last world cup en famille, 3 group matches & a quarter final (France v. NZ). Brilliant place; steep seating and close to the pitch, great atmosphere. Rugby being played in the crowds before the game in the middle of Cardiff as well.  :thumbsup: 

Twickenham is a more remote experience, possibly a bit more English & reserved? Or maybe it's just me, as a reserved Englishman...

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #90 on: 13 February, 2009, 12:51:07 pm »
The thought of Wade Dooley running

over me again in a ruck OUCH and OUCH once more.  :(

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #91 on: 13 February, 2009, 12:57:16 pm »
I can't wait until tomorrow!  

I think it's going to be a long day though.  Meet at the rugby club at noon, 70 seater coach to Cardiff at 1pm.  It could be a long day..

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #92 on: 13 February, 2009, 01:36:31 pm »
I can't wait until tomorrow!  

I think it's going to be a long day though.  Meet at the rugby club at noon, 70 seater coach to Cardiff at 1pm.  It could be a long day..

You're damn right its going to be a long day rob - I am getting the train from London Paddington up to Cardiff, meeting my folks for beers (where I pick up my ticket from them because the last time they sent it recorded delivery it disappeared) and then getting the train back to London.

I also predict that Cardiff town centre is going to be carnage tomorrow evening.

God I am so excited!!!!!!  ;D :thumbsup:

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #93 on: 13 February, 2009, 02:47:27 pm »
I'm not. We (the English) are going to get steamrollered, trussed up and wellied. Then the match will start.........
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Si

« Reply #94 on: 13 February, 2009, 04:33:28 pm »
Naw, I reckon the English backlash is on the way.  They'll beat Wales, immediately be proclaimed the greatest English team ever, and lose the next three games.

« Reply #95 on: 13 February, 2009, 04:40:49 pm »
...(where I pick up my ticket from them because the last time they sent it recorded delivery it disappeared) ...
My former girlfriends father insisted on handing over our tickets in person, for the same reason. He was concerned that we wouldn't get them, & (he admitted) also worried about tickets with his name on (yes, it was printed on them) turning up on the black market.

« Reply #96 on: 13 February, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »
My former girlfriends father insisted on handing over our tickets in person, for the same reason. He was concerned that we wouldn't get them, & (he admitted) also worried about tickets with his name on (yes, it was printed on them) turning up on the black market.

Lord's (cricket ground) employ people to buy the tickets back from the touts outside the ground. They then trace the tickets back to who bought them and, if they were members they get a sternly worded letter threatening ejection from the club.

« Reply #97 on: 13 February, 2009, 05:47:23 pm »
Our tickets have the rugby club name printed on them.  If they turn up on Ebay, the WRU apparently reduce the ticket allocation for the "offending" club.

« Reply #98 on: 13 February, 2009, 08:25:44 pm »
England haven't agreed to having the roof closed.  Cowards!

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #99 on: 14 February, 2009, 07:02:44 am »
Wales v England:

Looks like a no brainer. Wales have a very good team who play some excellent fast rugby. England haven't and don't. The England ruck ball against Italy was slow enough and with Martyn Williams around today it is not going to get any quicker.

In fact the only area where England are likely to out perform Wales is in getting people yellow carded. This must be a national trait as the England Under 20s had 4 yellow cards last night against Wales but at least they won.

There is one very small glimmer of hope. I have watched England for many years and when they are not very good (as now) invariably they will produce one performance each season that is a lot better than all their others. It might be today or then again the performance against Italy might have been it  :(

Against this hope is the realisation that this one-off better performance is rarely produced away from home and I cannot remember it ever being against Wales.

So if Eddie Butler and Brian Moore are the commentators today then I think it is going to be one proud and jubilant Welshman and one increasingly annoyed and tetchy Englishman.